Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: Fantasyland changes?

I believe Muppet*Vision 3D at MGM is about 15 now, and it still packs them in and is certainly headed nowhere. If a show is inspired enough (and its star doesn't take a particular liking to 5 year old boys), it shouldn't need to leave. I can't imagine Mickey and Donald ever seeming stale. That would be a very sad day.

EDIT: Muppet*Vision 3D opened May 17, 1991, so it turns 15 in 10 months, and again, isn't headed anywhere.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Mickey Mouse Revue, which was similar to Philhar but wasn't a 3D movie and had old technology, evidently got stale and was replaced. It had Mickey and Donald in it.

My 1000th Post!

I should point out that MMR was ultimately replaced by PhilharMagic at WDW some 23 years after it closed...perhaps WDI realized they got something right and just needed to use better technology. I would argue that Mickey is the most popular animated character of our time (I can't really speak for the past...maybe there was a really popular heiroglyphic dog or something...)

MMR also moved to TDL, so it may have not closed due to technology problems so much as wanting to open something cheaply at TDL.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The one, the only...

Mickey's PhilarMagic is a better 3D movie than most, but do we need one at every Disney Park? The only reason Disney is thinking of cloning this one is because it is CHEAP.

Disneyland used to be more than that. It used to have AA's that was a signature of the park. Today Disney Management does not want to build AA attractions anymore because they are expensive.

Perhaps we have reached the day when we have seen the last Disney AA attraction built.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

PhilharMagic has an animatronic hehe Donald gets shot through the wall...it's actually quite amusing. And I'm not sure it was particularly cheap. I'm thinking it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-60m, and that was with a pre-existing theatre (heavily modified, of course).
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I think that the skyway cottage area should be the entrance to a Bambi ride. It's nestled back in the trees anyway, it looks like Bambi could like there.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    PhilharMagic has an animatronic hehe Donald gets shot through the wall...it's actually quite amusing.
    I have seen the show. I like it but is one half an animatronic all Disney can afford today? (Especially the REAR END of one?) I do not see where all the money was spent. Even the cloth on the seats seems to be wearing out already. They must have bought cheap cloth.

I would rate it a C attraction. (I was around when ticket books were sold. I think I am a pretty good judge of an attraction value on a A- E scale.)

Ok, but nothing overwhelming. If the public surveys are good it is particularly because it is a new family oriented attraction. This is good, but I think that Disney can do MUCH better.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• At the Gym or at DL

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan

Perhaps we have reached the day when we have seen the last Disney AA attraction built.
    Another voice of doom and gloom. I think they just opened a new AA attraction about two months ago and another is being opened in DCA in January.

Walt built Fantasyland full of C tickets, but now days every new attraction must be an E ticket spectacular or Disney is being cheap.

Something nice could fit, in the MBC area. While you could put Philharmagic, where the BounceHouse is now, they could build the theatre underneath the current Fantasyland theartre (underneath the fantasyland seats). Anyway, Philhar is a solid C, if not a semi-impressive D. But, back to MBC, a great roller coaster, etc. could fit there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12