• Circle of Ancients

Christmas not starting until NEXT week at Disneyland?

I'm confused,

Usually the Christmas stuff at Disneyland will start no later than the 2nd weekend in November. (That's this weekend). I even remember times when it was the 1st weekend.

So we made plans to spend the weekend at Disneyland to see the Christmas stuff.

Well, Belle just looked on the Disneyland website to see now that everything starts on the 16th.

It seems that they keep adding more and more things to see for Christmas, but why are they shortening the time?

I'm actually kind of sad now. I was looking forward to Christmas stuff.

Re: Christmas not starting until NEXT week at Disneyland?

Al Lutz mentioned awhile ago that Disneyland would not start Christmas until after Veterans Day Weekend this year.

Apparently TDA was fed up with the horrific crowds that would show up each year on that major holiday weekend to see the Christmas decorations. Since Veterans Day Weekend is already a busy weekend, they pushed Christmas back one week to spread out the crowds.

Now the AP crowds will descend on Disneyland a week from now instead of this weekend, leaving the regular tourists to deal with this normal crowded holiday weekend without the extra Christmas looky-loo's making it even more crowded.

I may be the only one, but I think it's a good thing. I sometimes feel for the uninformed visitors who get swamped with multiple events/draws occurring at the same time (like this years Gay Days and Labor Day weekend coinciding).

Plus, and I know how much people enjoy the Holiday Decorations, I'm one of those old grumps who doesn't want full force Christmas before Thanksgiving.

[Note: Don't get me wrong, I KNOW it takes weeks to put up all the decorations, so I totally respect Disney started early--it's just I don't want to be immersed in Christmas until closer to Thanksgiving. I remember being shocked last year to find the Christmas tree up on November 2 at Animal Kingdom. (not upset--just surprised--it felt....odd)

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Al Lutz mentioned awhile ago that Disneyland would not start Christmas until after Veterans Day Weekend this year.

Apparently TDA was fed up with the horrific crowds that would show up each year on that major holiday weekend to see the Christmas decorations. Since Veterans Day Weekend is already a busy weekend, they pushed Christmas back one week to spread out the crowds.

Now the AP crowds will descend on Disneyland a week from now instead of this weekend, leaving the regular tourists to deal with this normal crowded holiday weekend without the extra Christmas looky-loo's making it even more crowded.

• Old Timer

It's much better than the year they had the Town Square tree up on Halloween. Besides, it looks as if they will be up for my birthday on the 16th - another reason to spend it in the Park!

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by BrerDan View Post
    I may be the only one, but I think it's a good thing. I sometimes feel for the uninformed visitors who get swamped with multiple events/draws occurring at the same time (like this years Gay Days and Labor Day weekend coinciding).
    Gay Days and Labor Day didn't coincide this year, or any year that I know of....not even Columbus Day.

• Shubisha

If you'll remember, last year's christmas season seemed to start extraordinarily early. They went around polling people asking them whether or not they felt christmas came too early and when people feel would be appropriate to start it. This is likely the result of that feedback.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Clinks - If you are already coming down this weekend, you will find that MOST of the decorations are up, and if you are in Disneyland tomorrow (Sat), rumor has it that they will run the Christmas Parade for the WDW Special taping. I'm still having trouble finding exact times, and who will be performing, but I guess it's happening tomorrow. So...you can still be happy!

Too true! Sorry about that. I think it was Columbus Day. It was some Holiday--if a minor one.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Gay Days and Labor Day didn't coincide this year, or any year that I know of....not even Columbus Day.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue - and attended the first Disneyland Gay Days shortly after disembarking from his ship. He discovered right away that the customs of the "Indians" were quite different from those elsewhwere in the world at the time.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-13-2007 at 12:51 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    Clinks - If you are already coming down this weekend, you will find that MOST of the decorations are up, and if you are in Disneyland tomorrow (Sat), rumor has it that they will run the Christmas Parade for the WDW Special taping. I'm still having trouble finding exact times, and who will be performing, but I guess it's happening tomorrow. So...you can still be happy!
    I'm Happy...but then I feel rather Bashful and Dopey too.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-13-2007 at 12:47 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Goofy

hahaha

The Christmas Tree was up on November 6, last year---as per this thread:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...mas-43762.html

They certainly aren't leaving it up any longer, so all in all, less Christmas this year.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Looks like Disney made the right decision, Veteran's Day weekend didn't get to any sort of capicity control issues. Heck, Knott's was more busy on Monday than Disneyland was (Lisa and I went to both).

And Christmas now lasts until Sunday, Janaury 6th, as more and more schools take the first full week of January off due to families leaving the country to celebrate Christmas and Three Kings Day.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com