Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Super Genius

Ventura, California; 96 miles (154Km) from Disneyland

Could Disneyland be started today?

My best friend's 80 year old father said he feels sorry for our generation (my friend and I are both 39) and my 63 year old mom has said the same thing. Well, what she said is that she envies our generation because we don't know anything else. we're akin to people who have been born blind and the older generations have become blind (ie. we have nothing to miss)

Many of our own immigrants who are even US citizens don't respect the country that has rolled out the red carpet for them. My uncle puts down America and Americans every chance he gets. Granted, he does not live here (he's in France, that says it all). Another friend of mine told me that some people from another country who are US citizens and have been here over 20 years have said that if there were a war between the US of A and their country they would fly back and fight against America.

I read Looking Out Looking in by Ron Adler and there was a section in there where a bank manager said "hello" to one of his tellers and she gave him the cold shoulder. Turns out where she's from if a woman speaks to a man that's an invitation to prostitution. I was 19 when I read this book and even then at that young and stupid age I thought, "she needs to be reminded she's now in America, and she needs to adapt to our culture". I don't mean to come off sounding like the Borg but when you immigrate here you should respect your new host. I can understand the emotional impact of leaving home but don't have the Audacity to expect the USA to adapt to you

Ok having established that:

I think part of Disneyland's success is the fact that it was the happiest place on earth because Americans had more respect for each other back then and most certainly, other countries had more respect for us. The world as a whole was a happier place. I am surprised that the CM's can maintain the happy attitude that they do and I think Walt would be pleased.

Now: suppose Walt Disney had been born fifty years later than he was and started DIsneyland in 2005 rather than 1955. Could he pull it off?
    Last edited by MikeChat; 11-10-2007 at 12:07 PM.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

Re: Could Disneyland be started today?

Wow, Mike, that is a good question.

hmmm....buidling Disneyland in 2005 rather than 1955? Well, for one, the amusement parks would still be simply just for kids, and there would be nothing for everyone. Even then, I still think it could be started today.
    Last edited by Rocker; 11-09-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Misspell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• =)

I've often wondered exactly how much impact time and place had on Walt Disney's success, and I always conclude that they had a HUGE impact. Disneyland's initial success (okay, almost-initial success) definitely owed a lot to the era into which it was born, when optimism and respect were more socially acceptable. As time went on, they became more needed.

Could Disneyland be started today? Yes. But it would be very different. I think Walt would be dazzled by the new realms of imaginative possibilities available now, and he probably would have risked a lot to take advantage of them.

• Minion

Not to mention the aimless and dissolute lives being lived by numerous Micechatter who would have nothing to keep them off the streets, except Main of course.

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Not to mention the aimless and dissolute lives being lived by numerous Micechatter who would have nothing to keep them off the streets, except Main of course.
    Bashing Micechat, are we?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• Mickey is not my Brother

Theme parks wouldn't be what they were today if it wasn't for Walt making Disneyland back in 1955

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Ill answer the last part first. NO. This is because only someone with a lot of money could do things their way, Disney got loans based on his success with films for Disneyland. Also everything these days even at the Disney parks is created by committees and an assesement as to how soon an attraction can turn a profit is made first before they do anything these days, having said that attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion would never be created from scratch today they would be considered too expensive this of course is what happens when you ignore that sometimes doing something "irrational" like following your dreams and heart can actually create something amazing that goes way beyond the bounds of rational planning and makes for something that fans will be crazy about for many decades. A good example of this is that NOTHING Disney has made since the Haunted Mansion has been anywhere as good or had such an impact on the public for so long as HM or POTC. (Yes I know they make new POTC's and HM's in all the new parks but they are copies of something proven my point is if they were new concepts they would not be attempted, I know this for a fact as I have talked with Disney ride designers and when I tell them my ideas for a POTC level attraction they tell me it would never be made as it would be too expensive and too much of a risk.)

As for the second yes most of the world thinks America sux and they are mostly right specially lately due to bonehead in the office. This country is and has been a fascist police state for years, just most people dont realize this because: 1. they live in it and grew up in it so they dont know any better, 2. the average americans awareness, education and intelligence has been declining as their waistlines have been increasing......

• Mischievous Mouse

Walt was most always ahead of his time. He saw success, while others saw failure.
    He challenged the status quo, like other great men, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, they followed a dream and it became successful, they did not try to simply BE successful. Most success happen this way. I'll bet anything that Walt had NO IDEA his little park and his film company would become the entities they are today. No way!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedMansionMike View Post
    Now: suppose Walt Disney had been fifty years later than he was and started DIsneyland in 2005 rather than 1955. Could he pull it off?
    If he could successfully prove to suspicious parents everywhere that he was not a pedophile, and had the finances to successfully pay ...I mean contribute to the campaigns of... local politicians and their local planning agencies, and had the finances to not need the corrupting influence of well-intentioned investors who would demand concessions to "protect their investment", and had the stamina to try to compete in an already saturated market, and still had all the animation, television, and movie experience, and didn't end up shooting himself in the head trying to negotiate the exponentially increasing bureaucracy and legal naysayers to build a "Disneyland"... Then yes, he may have a slight chance of pulling it off. Very slight.

The times have changed, and in these areas and those you mentioned, not for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    ...This country is and has been a fascist police state for years, just most people dont realize this because: 1. they live in it and grew up in it so they dont know any better, 2. the average americans awareness, education and intelligence has been declining as their waistlines have been increasing......
    SPOT ON, BROTHER!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Yes we live in a totalitarian facist police state and most of the people dont even know it as they are too ignorant (why do you think public schools are so bad huh? intentionally so) and too busy stuffing their face with junk food and watching the telly.

• Down Pluto!

As long as I still get cable to watch American Idol and my I-phone still works... I don't need to know anything else.

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedMansionMike View Post
    I thought, "she needs to be reminded she's now in America, and she needs to adapt to our culture". I don't mean to come off sounding like the Borg but when you immigrate here you should respect your new host. I can understand the emotional impact of leaving home but don't have the Audacity to expect the USA to adapt to you

Ok having established that:

I think part of Disneyland's success is the fact that it was the happiest place on earth because Americans had more respect for each other back then and most certainly, other countries had more respect for us. The world as a whole was a happier place. I am surprised that the CM's can maintain the happy attitude that they do and I think Walt would be pleased.

Now: suppose Walt Disney had been fifty years later than he was and started DIsneyland in 2005 rather than 1955. Could he pull it off?
    I think the basis of this thread makes very little sense. What does all of this chest-beating about loving the USA and how everyone else should bow down to it have to do with Disneyland being possible today?

Disneyland probably could not happen today and it has little to do with attitude or patriotism. It everything has to do with money.

Disney can't even be Disney anymore these days. When you see how DCA was built, the budget was the most important priority. You can't build a park to near perfection without the proper investment and and without the stomach to endure throwing more money at a project when it goes over budget in an effort to get it 'just right'.

It's all about money and is the single most important factor in why Disneyland coudln't properly be made today.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    ...Disneyland probably could not happen today and it has little to do with attitude or patriotism. It everything has to do with money...
    Totally agree about the money and patriotism, but I personally feel you underestimate what a huge factor the change of peoples attitudes has become in our culture.

• Child Star Has Been

I think the biggest piece of Disney's success is it's uniqueness and magical qualities. I think that would have translated into any era. So yes, I think it would not make a difference if it was 50 years later. Walt could still have done it. It may have looked a little different.

As a non American I think there is a good deal of Anti Americanism outside of the states. However, I don't think it is thoughts that people want to destroy America. I could better relate it to the average pupil being envious of the valedictorian. You want to be that person.

Inside America, (and this is my opinion based on no real knowledge), I would compare the anti americanism to Paris Hilton whining about her parents. She takes them for granted because she has never known her life without them.
    ~Heather~

You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

I am everyone's friend.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Yes we live in a totalitarian facist police state and most of the people dont even know it as they are too ignorant (why do you think public schools are so bad huh? intentionally so) and too busy stuffing their face with junk food and watching the telly.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nBeUGqeYsQg
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast