Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Tron 2.O is greenlighted, based on the game and movie, could there be an attracti

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_sequel_(film)
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/09/11...-officialized/
    http://mashable.com/2007/09/11/micro...e-planet-tron/
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tron/news/1669870/
    http://www.moviecentre.net/news/article_1653.htm

Just an FYI... while I have found a variety of comments about the initial Disney hint at Tron back in early 2000 (01 I think possibly 02) the majority of the buzz is based almost entirely on the Hollywood Reporter story. In short it is staking the rep of the Hollywood Reporter which in the past has been pretty accurate. If it is a rumor then it is a pretty powerful one because rotton tomatoes usually won't post just anything. In any event it should be interesting.
    None of these links that you have posted provide primary source evidence that the Tron project has been approved and funded by Disney. If one of my students were to cite the Hollywood Reporter without a primary source cited, it would not count as a source. Journalists can write a story with a source, which can be the janitor at a studio or maybe the vending truck guy as someone credible, but without an authority cited, such as an official at Disney or the director saying the project has been funded and allowed to go into preproduction, then it is not credible. If a writer is telling a story about themselves in a blog, then it can be cited as primary source evidence, otherwise it can't be cited as a primary source. If a Wikipedia article is created by someone who is involved with an event and is writing about something they witnessed or worked on, then it can be a primary source. If a Wikipedia article contains a photo, it can be used as primary source evidence. If a Wikipedia article makes claims, asserts facts and describes a process without primary source documents, then it can't be used as primary source evidence. If Tron is greenlighted, the story will appear in the LA Times and other large newspapers, this movie only brought in $30 million in 1982 dollars, basically half of what Disney had hoped, its remake will be savaged by the media and rightly so. In comparison, E.T. made $30 million in 1982 dollars the first three days of its release and grossed a total well over $300 million during its initial theatrical run, Tron was a major Hollywood flop.
    Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-12-2007 at 10:06 AM.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Re: Tron 2.O is greenlighted, based on the game and movie, could there be an attracti

New 'Tron' races on

Kosinski will program Disney sequel

By Borys Kit

Sept 11, 2007
    TORONTO -- Commercial director Joseph Kosinski is in final negotiations to develop and direct "Tron," described as "the next chapter" of Disney's 1982 cult classic. Sean Bailey is producing via the Live Planet banner, as is Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...69651706799643

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Banned User

Tron never was a huge cash cow, but the cynics will be saying that the ride would make Tron have more sales and blah blah blah. Face it, even though Tron was an OK movie, and Tron 2.0 was an OK PC game (Killer App was blech), and even references in Kingdom Hearts II, there will not be a whole attraction based just on Tron.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Dont forget I said I was at a Disney sponsored event at the El Capitan in Hollywood where the original filmakers and cast and the Game makers were there showing a screening of TRON and playing TRON 2.0 on the movie screen they discussed the making of the TRON sequel which like the game would take place 25 yrs later all the original cast of heros at least have cameos, although there have been some reports that he has not been asked to join the film Jeff Bridges has said if the movie was made he would definately say yes to being in it.

My point in the post is if and it looks like it is a TRON 2.0 movie is made will there be a DL attraction/ride?

Again I volunteer the peoplemover track for 3 very good reasons:

1. Theres nothing there now and they want to put something there but are searching for a concept.....and they love movie tie ins.

2. Even if the sequel movie flops it is current and then theres the 80's nostalga for the original and the recent game on pc and xbox that has alot of loyal fans and then there are many fan websites about TRON.

3. There was already a TRON connection with both DL and the People mover remember that?

Some have said there isnt any interest in TRON

Dont forget the guy with the TRON costume with the EL lighting that was on all the talk shows a few years back ....

here are some recent products:

Addidas Jacket

Addidas Tron sneakers

And recent Disney support?

Then there is the Disney game Tron 2.0

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

According to the Los Angeles Times dated 09 July 1982, Page F2, "Donning their film critic's hats, some Wall Street analysts took Walt Disney Productions' stock down several notches with negative reviews of the company's $21 million dollar movie, 'Tron,' which is scheduled to open Friday. A crush of sell orders delayed the opening of Disney stock more than two hours on Wednesday on the New York Exchange, and it opened at $55.25 off $3.375 from the previous days closing." The investors were so worried about the loss from "Tron" that they delayed the stock trade opening by submitting all of those stock sell orders.
    According to the Los Angeles Times dated 13 July 1982, Page G1, "But like the dark clouds that appeared on 'Tron's' horizon last week, when a couple of Wall Street analysts saw the movie and predicted financial doom, sending the Disney stock skidding downwards." Even the release of "Tron" caused Disney's stock to be devalued on Wall Street, why would this project ever be thought of being bought to the big screen again?
    Also from the same Los Angeles Times article it is claimed that "Tron" made 4.8 million dollars in its opening weekend, which was substantially lower than Disney had hoped. According to the 20 July 1982 issue of the Los Angeles Times Page E1, "The $21 million film grossed about $4.8 million its first weekend, and $3.6 million its second weekend." Ron Miller is quoted in the same Los Angeles Times article as saying that the film had grossed 11 million dollars up until this point in time, nearly half of what the film originally cost to make, this sure sounds like a financial disaster to me. The July 20 1982 Los Angeles Times article also states Disney's: "Net income for the first nine months (of 1982) declined 14% however, to $72 million from $83.8 million the previous year." So Tron was the straw that broke the camels back for Disney, the studio needed a come back film and the release of Tron caused their investors to balk and their stock price to fall, yeah what a great move for Disney to try to re-release another version of this film.
    Last edited by chrisaustx; 11-12-2007 at 11:15 AM.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Since everyone is screaming for a source, I invited 'Bit', one of the stars of the original motion picture 'Tron', to give us some insight into the new Hollywood rumblings about an upcoming sequel.

Bit, do you believe that representation of the movie TRON would be well received at the Parks?

"YES"

Would you be available for work in the sequel, if one is to be produced?

"YES"

Can you give us any insider information regarding the new TRON project's chances of actually making it to production, to begin filming?

"NO"

Do you believe the TRON sequel would be appealing to today's audiences; especially when it's seperated by an entire generation from it's source material?

"YES NO"

Can we put you down for a 'maybe', then?

"YES"

• Banned User

People who love Tron will toot it's horn say how great a sequel can be (and no doubt about that), but realisiticly, it's probably not going to happen. And that above me was so cheesy that it fits the whole TRON thing. The only reason for a project like this would even be made is for money. And with the track record of Tron related media, again, fears would be that it wouldn't meet expectations. You can list all of the obscure tron references you want, but that doesn't mean this will be made. Doesn't mean it won't be either, but chances are it won't be made compared to it actually being made.
    Last edited by TheManator; 11-12-2007 at 11:03 AM.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    You can list all of the obscure tron references you want, but that doesn't mean this will be made. Doesn't mean it won't be either, but chances are it won't be made compared to it actually being made.

"YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO"

Bit apparently agrees with your statement (if one could call that thing a statement).

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post

Since everyone is screaming for a source, I invited 'Bit', one of the stars of the original motion picture 'Tron', to give us some insight into the new Hollywood rumblings about an upcoming sequel.

Bit, do you believe that representation of the movie TRON would be well received at the Parks?

"YES"

Would you be available for work in the sequel, if one is to be produced?

"YES"

Can you give us any insider information regarding the new TRON project's chances of actually making it to production, to begin filming?

"NO"

Do you believe the TRON sequel would be appealing to today's audiences; especially when it's seperated by an entire generation from it's source material?

"YES NO"

Can we put you down for a 'maybe', then?

"YES"

There it is folks, directly from the source!

Love it!
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

I nominate F'swab for best creative post of 2007!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I second!
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    LMAO :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaustx View Post
    None of these links that you have posted provide primary source evidence that the Tron project has been approved and funded by Disney. If one of my students were to cite the Hollywood Reporter without a primary source cited, it would not count as a source. Journalists can write a story with a source, which can be the janitor at a studio or maybe the vending truck guy as someone credible, but without an authority cited, such as an official at Disney or the director saying the project has been funded and allowed to go into preproduction, then it is not credible. If a writer is telling a story about themselves in a blog, then it can be cited as primary source evidence, otherwise it can't be cited as a primary source. If a Wikipedia article is created by someone who is involved with an event and is writing about something they witnessed or worked on, then it can be a primary source. If a Wikipedia article contains a photo, it can be used as primary source evidence. If a Wikipedia article makes claims, asserts facts and describes a process without primary source documents, then it can't be used as primary source evidence. If Tron is greenlighted, the story will appear in the LA Times and other large newspapers, this movie only brought in $30 million in 1982 dollars, basically half of what Disney had hoped, its remake will be savaged by the media and rightly so. In comparison, E.T. made $30 million in 1982 dollars the first three days of its release and grossed a total well over $300 million during its initial theatrical run, Tron was a major Hollywood flop.

*yawn*
    Ryborg

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post

And since when has Disney ever made an attraction based on a sequel?

Buzz, Pirates update...
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post

And since when has Disney ever made an attraction based on a sequel?

Buzz lightyear astro blaster us based on a sequel.

As for a 2.0 attraction, there is always the possibility.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    I second!

"YES"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast