Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Tron 2.O is greenlighted, based on the game and movie, could there be an attracti

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Hold on... let me think... Herbie Fully Loaded, Haunted Mansion, Country Bear Jamboree, Freaky Friday, I can keep going if you wish I haven't even made it to the direct to DVD... my point is before they picked up Pixar the studios WERE in the toilet. So much so that when they came out with the performance the theme parks was a main source of income and the movie side of the house was losing money. Of course no one these days remember this because it was pre-pirates and pre-Pixar when Pixar was mad at us!
    'POTC: TCotBP' was released in 2003. 'Freaky Friday' made over $100 million domestically alone the same year, helping to push the studio's rank to #1.

Buena Vista's ranking was #2 in 2002, #4 in 2001 and #1 in 2000.
    That toilet must be priced in the billions.

Pre-Pixar would be prior to 'Toy Story' in 1995, don't recall any angry mentions or outbursts during their various Oscar acceptance speeches since then though?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Tron 2.O is greenlighted, based on the game and movie, could there be an attracti

As you may recall, in 2004 the Disney stock price devalued to nearly $18 a share, Comcast attempted a hostile takeover bid to buy Disney because the price was right.
    Do some research on the historical stock price between 2000 and 2004, the stock was close to $50 a share in 2000 then devalued by half to $18 a share in 2004. Wall Street was reacting to the terrible revenues of the Disney film studio and ABC, which was in last place at the time with no hit shows.
    The following Disney flops were released between 2000 and 2004, Wall Street punished Disney for these losses:
    The Emperor's New Groove

Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Treasure Planet
    Piglet's Big Movie
    Home on the Range
    The Country Bears
    The Haunted Mansion Movie (it did break even)

My DIS stock devalued from nearly $50 a share to $20 a share by Wall Street for these string of bad movies, of course I am angry about the prospect of a new version of the money losing "Tron."

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaustx View Post
    As you may recall, in 2004 the Disney stock price devalued to nearly $18 a share, Comcast attempted a hostile takeover bid to buy Disney because the price was right.
    Do some research on the historical stock price between 2000 and 2004, the stock was close to $50 a share in 2000 then devalued by half to $18 a share in 2004. Wall Street was reacting to the terrible revenues of the Disney film studio and ABC, which was in last place at the time with no hit shows.
    The following Disney flops were released between 2000 and 2004, Wall Street punished Disney for these losses:
    The Emperor's New Groove

Treasure Planet
    Piglet's Big Movie
    Home on the Range
    The Country Bears

My DIS stock devalued from nearly $50 a share to $20 a share by Wall Street for these string of bad movies, of course I am angry about the prospect of a new version of the money losing "Tron."
    I never thought I would say this on here but thank you for proving my point... and the point of others... it is not A flop it is A series of flops combined with a lack of foresight, corporate squabbling, and bad decisions that cause a stock price to plummet.

Oh... depending on your expectations you also have Brother Bear and Chicken Little! Most hardcore Disney fans place the last great animated piece done by Disney as being Mulan, Tarzan, or Lion King. Sadly even Hercules has been lumped into that pile of "could have been a lot better, would have been an outstanding DVD though." Fantasia 2000, umm hope you're joking. To add insult to injury countless spin-offs and sequels were added as the Disney vault was robbed of it's magic. It's special moments siezed, and it's priceless creativity exploited and twisted into sub-par voice overs and direct to dvd, made for tv, cut rate animation.

Then you have sleepers, those movies that no one expected to explode into popularity. Done correctly Tron could be one of those sleepers. And if it explodes into popularity then you have a much higher stock price that you can scowl at all the way to the bank.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    'POTC: TCotBP' was released in 2003. 'Freaky Friday' made over $100 million domestically alone the same year, helping to push the studio's rank to #1.

Buena Vista's ranking was #2 in 2002, #4 in 2001 and #1 in 2000.
    That toilet must be priced in the billions.

Pre-Pixar would be prior to 'Toy Story' in 1995, don't recall any angry mentions or outbursts during their various Oscar acceptance speeches since then though?
    I love how you also addressed Country Bear, Herbie Fully Loaded, and Haunted Mansion... also you did an amazing job of mentioning Buena Vista, but what about the Animated section titled... wait for it... Walt Disney Studios... Buena Vista kept them floating but those wonderful animated flops cut into that profit pretty badly!

I am a investor in (DIS) if Wall Street devalues the stock because another "Tron" movie is made, like they did in 1982, the value of the stock will take weeks or months to recover. Wall Street expects Disney to produce films that will gross hundreds of millions of dollars and not produce flops like "Tron." If another "Tron" film is produced Wall Street may punish Disney by changing their stock advice from hold to sell, if the stock prices devalue because of "Tron", tens of thousands of working class cast members who own stock will also lose money. For this reason, if I were Disney, I would try to sell off this asset to another studio and let them make it and just keep the licensing fee.

I have been an investor in Disney for 30 years, i could assure you that one movie WILL NOT affect the wall street in any way shape or form. Wall street is not that stupid to actually think that everymovie will be multi million dollar hits. All studios have their ups and downs. The whole reason why studios make a few low budget movies is to offset the cost of the high budget productions.

The comment you just made is exactly what Iger, Eisner and every Ceo in the studios have been talking about for the last several months.
    Most of a movies profit is made after the initial theatrical release. There is merchandise, videos and dvds, licensing to television stations, internet downloads and many many other sources of income for movies to make money.

If you actually believe that a movie that could be budgetted at approximately 70 to 100 million will affect the bottom line of a multi billion dollar corporation than i think you need to do some homework.

Even with more expensive movies like Pearl Harbor, Armageddon and Atlantis the studio has actually seen profit from them from constant television and dvd licensing fees.

Now if the studio division was releasing flops constantly the division would definately affect the bottom line tremendously but the studio is nowhere in that trouble. One movie will not make such a significant diference if it flops

One of Disney's biggest mistakes during the last several years with Eisner was the bad decisions to withdraw from possible franchise makers. Disney sold of the rights of several of its movies for international use and also passed on movies like Lord of the rings. The loss of some of these Oscar nominated movies and its accumluative profit far outwayed the cost of making the movie. Large budgetted movies like these are mostly insured and have so many alternatives written into the contracts when being produced. One of the most common practices to keep costs down is to offer the movies actors a percentage of any profit made instead of a fix upfront payment. Its a risk that many movie stars are taking because if the movie becomes a franchise or potential hit they could easily make millions more than what their initial payment would have been.

So no, making a Tron sequel will not affect your pocket significantly unless it becomes a profitable franchise causing the movie division to have huge profits.
    I think people that are familiar with the original Tron have this vision of a sequel being as cheesy and boring as the first. One thing you need to remember is that technology has changed drastically since that movie was made and the same vision as the first movie using updated technology could be exteremely popular at a time when every child is growing up with ipods, video games and very innovative computer technology.
    Last edited by Baloo; 11-12-2007 at 09:37 PM.

• At Work

OMG Disney 2.0 is CONFIRMED to bring down the whole stock market. Source - bit.

-mark
    I surf MiceChat like I spend my time at Disneyland sitting on the bench and watch the people go by.

The Emperor's New Groove

Treasure Planet
    Piglet's Big Movie
    Home on the Range
    The Country Bears

Your proving everyone elses point here, it was not one movie that affected the bottom line. It was a series of expensive movies that did it. Even then it was not just that that caused the stock to tumble.

The loses in other "activities" that Eisner had dealt with.

--Sport franchises

--the huge decline in advertising rates due to poor rating on television (this actually had a much worse affect)

-- huge expenses on channels that wallstreet felt that Disney overpaid for like fox family network

-- constant battles with the underperforming Disney channel and fights with cable networks that felt they did not want to pay the high rates Disney was asking for for an underperforming network

-- The decline in profits from merchandise and a decline in profits from the overgrowth of the Disney store franchise

-- the huge decline in theme park attendance after large investments.

and the worst culprit, the loss of talent in Burbank that scared wallstreet especially since Eisner had not picked a succesor after so many years.

So blaming one movie for a corporations stock to decline is wrong. If that was the case every studio would be in the red right now and might not even exist and most of them do not even have theme parks, profitable characters and hotel chains to offset the loss

• Animatronic

As far as sequels go, Tron 2.0 sounds interesting as does a ride. Tron was an environment based adventure movie and thus a reasonable choice for a ride.

Knowing Disney, we'll likely get a ride based on "Bambie 6 - Rap Master Thumper" instead.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I love how you also addressed Country Bear, Herbie Fully Loaded, and Haunted Mansion... also you did an amazing job of mentioning Buena Vista, but what about the Animated section titled... wait for it... Walt Disney Studios... Buena Vista kept them floating but those wonderful animated flops cut into that profit pretty badly!
    Wow didn't know it was gonna be on the test.
    Just tried to tie some very loose ends together from some scattershot examples provided.

Buena Vista was not mentioned randomly as it provides distribution for all the Walt Disney Pictures' properties. The industry doesn't seperate their inclusion and I didn't see the need to either for the purposes of a chat site.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disney Dad

Yeah that has already been posted on this thread at least 10 times, the film has not been officially greenlighted, just a script has been purchased.

All of the shoddy films that Disney produced from the 2000 to 2004 period helped decimate the stock price. When Disney has a flop, whether it be the Disney Mobile flop, to a major theatrical production flop, it will lower the stock price. Disney once was one of the most admired stocks on the New York Stock Exchange that consistently made money. Each one of the flops during the early 2000's brought the stock price $5 to $8 down, to the point where it reached half of its value in just a few short years. I doubt any long time Disney investor would be unaware of the fact that their stock is worth 1/2 of it was seven years ago! If "Tron" 2010 is a flop, yes the stock price will take a hit and Wall Street will laugh at Disney hysterically for making this movie. If and when and official release comes out from Disney that this film is in preproduction, expect the LA Times and Wall Street Journal to run a hit piece on the film, questioning their sanity.

• DisneyFan

So, I don't know if this counts as a pirmary source, or counts at all, but Jeff Bridges, Flynn in the original TRON movie, gave an interview recently where he discussed that he too has heard the rumors. Here's a link to the relevant part of the interview.

http://www.collider.com/entertainmen...id/6072/tcid/1

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney would be smart to create an attraction that is based on a digital game such as Tron. The HISTA theater building just might be the perfect fit for it - in terms of size, and built in outlets for technology-based theatrical media elements.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Wow didn't know it was gonna be on the test.
    Just tried to tie some very loose ends together from some scattershot examples provided.

Buena Vista was not mentioned randomly as it provides distribution for all the Walt Disney Pictures' properties. The industry doesn't separate their inclusion and I didn't see the need to either for the purposes of a chat site.
    It was not a matter of a test, I simply gave examples of what many considered to be flops. As to the Buena Vista/ Walt Disney Studios debate... that was one of many things weighted against Michael Eisner in his final hours... specifically that Pixar had beaten the very studio that was known for amazing animation, and that Disney found itself in the precarious position of "needing" an animation studio! If you look over the track record, for every winner there were several flops, combined with other forms of bad decisions and mis management everything flowed downhill. To say that the ANIMATION portion of the Walt Disney company proper... not Pixar... is still in the toilet bowel is an understatement!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345