Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

PHOTO UPDATE 11/10: Christmas Day Parade, Snow!, GCH construction, merch, +MORE

Sorry it's late. I was busy all day, and didn't have time to put together all of this until now. Anyway... here we go!

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND
    The Harbor Blvd marquee is out from under tarps.... and it's as tacky as DCA's main entrance.

Yikes.

...I think I may have just preferred the character silhouettes on the marquee. The DreamClouds and DreamSparkles are just... ugh.

Some sort of work is going on inside the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure

From the Tram Route, you can see the Christmas Tree all decked out and ready to go...

The Halloween ads on the ticket booths have been swapped out.

Main Street is all decked out for the Holidays...

Christmas tree in Gibson Girl:

Gingerbread men in the Blue Ribbon Bakery

Walt Disney Worldland
    Filming for the 2007 Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade was going on much of the day...

Ryan Seacrest

Santa Goofy!

Goofy was one of the new "living characters" - his eyes blinked and mouth moved. When I first heard about this concept I immediately thought "creepy!" but in reality it looks completely natural (After watching Goofy move and talk a couple times, I finally realized he was actually talking and blinking. - My brain didn't even question it at first - it just seemed so natural.) and is really pretty cool to see. The effect is masterfully executed and done very well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=vQdTV0WnAIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=unam_4htHds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=iOdC4DzJ1tQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=4vWOW0m6Jf0

SNOW! & FILMING
    The Castle's snow overlay continues to take shape. Looks like most of the snow is up now.

Poinsettia baskets were up in the hub early for the filming. These ones were made of fake flowers though..

Impressive! Even the small snow patches on the side of the Castle have embedded LEDs!

DISNEY'S CALM ADVENTURE
    It must be the calm before the storm over at DCA. The park is pretty uneventful right now. Guess its enjoying some peace and quiet before its invaded by bulldozers and construction walls, huh?

Most of the park's holiday decor is up.

A couple progress shots over at Midway Mania...

Red roof.

GRAND CALIFORNIAN HOLE
    Some shots of the Grand Californian DVC construction.
    Construction walls block off Hotel guests from getting too close to the huge hole

Check out that drop-off.

MERCH ROUND-UP
    There are a couple of new Soarin' shirts over at Fly n Buy Souvenirs by Soarin' Over California. I love how for 6 years we've basically gotten NO Soarin' Over California merchandise ... why are we getting it now? Oh, it's because the ride was cloned at WDW, so we're getting their merch. Yup. That's the ugly Soarin' logo from Epcot. Nowhere on that shirt does it say "Over California." It's just "Soarin'" Pathetic!

A new "Minnie Poppins" big fig is available at Disneyana. If I were a Minnie or Mary Poppins fan, I'd like this piece a lot. It's very nice.

Glass slipper ornament. This thing got me mad. It's a nice ornament, but why must have Disneyland AND Walt Disney World's logo? Does Disney not understand that people buy Resort-branded merch to remember their trips or vacations? Who wants a Christmas ornament to commemorate their trip to Disneyland if it has Walt Disney World's logo, too?

Metal ornaments

Merry Christmas - $6

Feliz Navidad - $6

Fiber optic mini Christmas tree - $29

Mini tree with mini ornaments - $29

Set of 4 Santa Mickey place holders - $20

Beverage charms - $16

Tea for One set - $18

Gift Sack - $6

Santa Mickey plates - $25

Santa Mickey mug - $12 / Set of 4 glasses - $28

Cinderella carriage ornament - $40 (ouch!)

"it's a small world holiday"
    "it's a small world holiday" is now open for business. Small World Mall is all decked out in its wreaths and lights, too. I usually pass on the regular version of "it's a small world" but I really like the holiday overlay.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 11/10: Christmas Day Parade, Snow!, GCH construction, merch, +MORE

..Continued...

And finally, there are new Coke cups for the Holidays...

Thanks for looking

| | |

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 11/10: Christmas Day Parade, Snow!, GCH construction, merch, +MORE

Thanks for the pictures. Can always count on a late night update from you!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

The effect is masterfully executed and done very well.
    Except for the huge pregnant pauses before Goofy speaks

Thanks for the pictures MG! They are great!
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Except for the huge pregnant pauses before Goofy speaks

Thanks for the pictures MG! They are great!
    Hahaa yeah, those pauses were awkward. But I'm assuming they were due to the filming.

| | |

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Nice pics. All the decs look great. The parade looks good

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    This thing got me mad. It's a nice ornament, but why must have Disneyland AND Walt Disney World's logo? Does Disney not understand that people buy Resort-branded merch to remember their trips or vacations? Who wants a Christmas ornament to commemorate their trip to Disneyland if it has Walt Disney World's logo, too?
    ... the rest of the world that doesn't get all uppity about DL vs WDW probably

Great photos - thx for sharing
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Magic Making

Hahaa yeah, those pauses were awkward. But I'm assuming they were due to the filming.
    Im sure in final editing those pauses can easily be removed

• Halloween 2011

Sort of. Goofy's voice is pre-recorded. The pauses were inserted to give the live performer (Seacrest) an opportunity to say his line. Either too much space was inserted, or Seacrest said his lines too quickly.

Yeah, they'll edit out the silence.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Great Photos! I can't wait to go this year!!!!!!
    Foolish Mortal

• living to haunt

Great Pictures and imput! I agree about the names on the ornaments and such. Since my daughter used glass slippers, and such from DL for her wedding I would have loved to buy that when we are there next month for her tree. As you said, with WDW on it I am not interested. Our park is DL and it would have been perfect if it just said that. To bad! Funny I didn't notice the snow on the roof, just the peaks, until your photos.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

That Goofy was really cool!!! My little boy is going to love that!! Thanks for the pics!! It makes life a little easier for those of us so far from the Park.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Thanks for the pictures and video MG! Excellent trip report. You were right about Goofy, and I like the way you described how it didn't register in your mind right away. It did look very realistic! My one beef with the characters blinking though, is in pictures. Just like with real people you end up with some pictures mid blink, where they either look drunk or high. I noticed that Goofy's "blinks" were fast, and very much like a normal human blink.

Thanks again for sharing! Did you get any shots of Christmas treats, like cookies or pastries?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Great shots, as always MG! Thanks! Santa Goofy....wow. Can't wait to see this. Thanks for braving those crowds to bring us the great update .

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Great pictures and I really appreciate the ornament series with the costs for planning purposes. I do not like it when an ornament has Disneyland/Disneyworld on it for just the reason you stated. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast