Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Candy Canes 2007 - the schedule

OK cool. Large Candy Canes. Any reason why they only do them on certain dates? Are they a pain to make and they go quickly so therefore they only do them on Saturdays or whatever?

• Minion

I just called DL and the cm was very nice. They do not have the schedule yet, but should by Fri. I am going to try and ask whilst I am at the park tomorrow.

• GO DBACKS!!

Here are pictures of the Candy Cane making process at the Candy Palace. The pics are a little blurry because they were taken through the front windows.

After cooking the sugar mixture (which comes out of the pot sort of yellow) the candy maker dumps it on the table to cool for a little. He gives some of it to his assistant to color for the stripes. Most of it gets put on the hook to be hand pulled which adds air to the candy mixture turning it white.

After it is white he puts it back on the cooling table in order to form a brick.

In this picture you can see them adding the colored stripes, some will be thick and some thin.

More stripes! At this point he is beginning to lengthen the brick shape which he will eventually smash down into a rope. This part of the process takes A LOT of time as he carefully makes it smaller and smaller and also perfectly creates perfect color twists.

He uses scissors to cut the candy cane rope to the proper lengths. See the large and small stripes in red and green?

In this picture you can see the warm candy cane bending slightly on its trip to the cooling table. The assistant makes sure it has the perfect hook.

The finished product still has to cool on the table for a bit longer. It took us about 45 minutes after they began placing the canes on the table before we were able to buy some.

They literally melt in your mouth! Watching this process on Main Street is one of our favorite Christmas traditions. Don't miss it!!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    I think we talked outside of candy palace today! I was asking the cm the same thing and someone (possibly you) told me.
    Thanks again!
    Heehee. Yup that was me. I almost asked you if you were a mice chat person!

Earkid, that is fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I never would've thought it was such a long, involved process, or that they start from a brick form. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnswash View Post
    This is what AVP at MousePlanet's forum wrote yesterday for the schedule:

"According to the candy shop, the Candy Canes will be made as follows:

Friday, November 23
    Saturday, December 8
    Friday, December 14
    Saturday, December 22

The first batch will be available about 1 hour after park opening, the 2nd between Noon and 1. No decision has been made about limits."

So I have no idea which one is correct.

I have one that I bought for decoration back in 2004. I still have it and love it. When I bought it the CM was bummed that I was buying it for decoration and not to eat. I was hoping to get one this year for eating. Looks like by any of the dates that have been listed that that won't be happening for us this year. Yip, mine measures 13 1/2 inches long before it curves over to the cane part. And it did cost me $8.
    I don't know which is correct either. However, when I first asked the CM behind the counter, she responded like she knew what she was talking about but it became apparent she didn't. She had no idea when they would be made, and said emphatically that there was no limit on how many you could buy. She said they sell out because people buy "a ton of them." I then asked her if she could ask the candy maker on duty. He went back into the room and checked some paper (I assume a schedule) and gave me those dates. He also immediately said, "and there's a limit of 2 per person."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnswash View Post
    Someone recently asked what the difference between a DL candy cane and a regular one was. A person replied that the DL candy cane is light and airy. :o)
    It sounds weird, but it's totally true! They are the best!

Those pictures are a great explanation of how they are made. What you can't see is that the little room has to be kept super warm in order to keep the sugar pliable. They also place the candy under a heater by the window to keep it soft while shaping it, so it doesn't break. It's very cool to watch.
    A signature should go here.

thanks for the pics. those candy canes look like they are to die for! i hope i can get down there on the eighth.

• Again! Again! Again!

It truly is cool to watch! Great pictures Earkid!! Also as they are "whitening" the sugar, they add the peppermint extract to it. And yes, they keep the room, I think, close to 85 degrees. Or somewhere like that. It's a huge process and very trying. It's no wonder they only do it a few times a year. As for the limiting, they started that last year. Mostly because people were coming in and buying like 10 or 20. I went super early a couple years ago, and missed them cuz some lady had bought the last 15. I was soooo not happy.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

He uses scissors to cut the candy cane rope to the proper lengths. See the large and small stripes in red and green?

[/quote]

Yummy I want one!

• Fastest Man Alive

Candy Cane Production dates:

December 9th
    December 17th
    December 22nd

There is a limit of two (2) per guest. Arrive early and get in line. THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH GUARENTEED TO BE GONE BY AFTERNOON.

The Candy Makers must brave 100 degree temperatures for long stretches. The candy canes are huge and fresh. Not to be missed.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Candy Cane Production dates:

December 9th
    December 17th
    December 22nd

There is a limit of two (2) per guest. Arrive early and get in line. THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH GUARENTEED TO BE GONE BY AFTERNOON.

The Candy Makers must brave 100 degree temperatures for long stretches. The candy canes are huge and fresh. Not to be missed.

Wow, the first two dates posted were days we were going to be there with the grandkids, now these dates we miss it! We get there the 10th and leave the 16th, that sucks for us. Well good luck to everyone trying to get some. They look yummy!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

I have now heard 3 different sets of dates. LOL, I'm not so sure DL knows the true dates for the Candy Canes being made.

Good luck to all the Candy Cane seekers!!!
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

BTW, LOVE the pictures!!! Much better pics then of my candy cane laying on the table, lol.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Circle of Ancients

We'll be there on the 8th and 9th. So either way we will have to make sure we get some.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast