Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Candy Canes 2007 - the schedule

I read recently about the candy canes, but can't find where I saw it. Anyway, for those interested I asked today and the baker (candy maker?) said they will be made on the 8th, 14th, and 27th...only. He confirmed that people line up outside starting 1st thing in the morning, and that there's a limit of 2 per person. I've never had one, and they sure sound yummy, but it looks like I won't find out for myself.
    Oh yeah, I asked why they don't just make more and he said, "yeah, I've asked the same thing." Apparently no answer. A shortage creates more interest I suppose.

Admin Note:
    Here is a photo essay from MiceChatter Earkid in post 18 of this thread:

Here are pictures of the Candy Cane making process at the Candy Palace. The pics are a little blurry because they were taken through the front windows.

After cooking the sugar mixture (which comes out of the pot sort of yellow) the candy maker dumps it on the table to cool for a little. He gives some of it to his assistant to color for the stripes. Most of it gets put on the hook to be hand pulled which adds air to the candy mixture turning it white.

After it is white he puts it back on the cooling table in order to form a brick.

In this picture you can see them adding the colored stripes, some will be thick and some thin.

More stripes! At this point he is beginning to lengthen the brick shape which he will eventually smash down into a rope. This part of the process takes A LOT of time as he carefully makes it smaller and smaller and also perfectly creates perfect color twists.

He uses scissors to cut the candy cane rope to the proper lengths. See the large and small stripes in red and green?

In this picture you can see the warm candy cane bending slightly on its trip to the cooling table. The assistant makes sure it has the perfect hook.

The finished product still has to cool on the table for a bit longer. It took us about 45 minutes after they began placing the canes on the table before we were able to buy some.

They literally melt in your mouth! Watching this process on Main Street is one of our favorite Christmas traditions. Don't miss it!!

Last edited by Dustysage; 11-13-2007 at 10:20 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Candy Canes 2007 - the schedule

They are high maintenance to make, so they can't make a million of them. They're big, about a foot long, and cost about $8 each.

Thanks for asking and for posting the info. I haven't had a chance to investigate for this year.
    A signature should go here.

• Again! Again! Again!

Yes, thank you for that info. It's weird that they are going them on Wed. Usually they do them on Fridays...at least they have in the past! Good to know!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mypupmickey View Post
    I read recently about the candy canes, but can't find where I saw it. Anyway, for those interested I asked today and the baker (candy maker?) said they will be made on the 8th, 14th, and 27th...only. He confirmed that people line up outside starting 1st thing in the morning, and that there's a limit of 2 per person. I've never had one, and they sure sound yummy, but it looks like I won't find out for myself.
    Oh yeah, I asked why they don't just make more and he said, "yeah, I've asked the same thing." Apparently no answer. A shortage creates more interest I suppose.
    I think we talked outside of candy palace today! I was asking the cm the same thing and someone (possibly you) told me.
    Thanks again!

• Winter in Oceanside...

I have never been able to get one. Thanks for the info!

MousePlanet has had a thread on this for about a week or so. Your dates don't match with the MP dates. This should be interesting to see what really happens.

Thanks for all the additional info!
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• "714"

wow! I Didn't know this! Im not a huge Candy Cane fan but these seem to be all the rage so I will try to get my hands on one!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

thanks for the info! i have been trying to find it myself. now i know.

This is what AVP at MousePlanet's forum wrote yesterday for the schedule:

"According to the candy shop, the Candy Canes will be made as follows:

Friday, November 23
    Saturday, December 8
    Friday, December 14
    Saturday, December 22

The first batch will be available about 1 hour after park opening, the 2nd between Noon and 1. No decision has been made about limits."

So I have no idea which one is correct.

I have one that I bought for decoration back in 2004. I still have it and love it. When I bought it the CM was bummed that I was buying it for decoration and not to eat. I was hoping to get one this year for eating. Looks like by any of the dates that have been listed that that won't be happening for us this year. Yip, mine measures 13 1/2 inches long before it curves over to the cane part. And it did cost me $8.

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

• Again! Again! Again!

But if you can get there and watch them make them....that's really cool!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Minion

Someone suggested at Candy Palace to call the Disneyland Operator and have them call the kitchen at Candy Palace. I haven't had time to do this yet, but it would be interesting to see if it will work and what they say.

You learn something new every day. I had no idea DL did this. What are they? Just a giant Candy Cane?

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    You learn something new every day. I had no idea DL did this. What are they? Just a giant Candy Cane?
    Someone recently asked what the difference between a DL candy cane and a regular one was. A person replied that the DL candy cane is light and airy. :o) I have no idea if that is any help to you. As I said, I only have one for decoration...I've never eaten one before. And yes, they are quite large. Maybe I should have hubby take a picture of it for you guys.

Speaking of "regular" candy canes. Last year, after the 22nd.......there wasn't a single candy-cane to be had at the Resort, not even the "regular" kind.

It seemed like there was a total candy-cane shortage, of all kinds.

Nowhere on Downtown Disney, no place in the park, could I find a single candy-cane on the 23rd or beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    Speaking of "regular" candy canes. Last year, after the 22nd.......there wasn't a single candy-cane to be had at the Resort, not even the "regular" kind.

It seemed like there was a total candy-cane shortage, of all kinds.

Nowhere on Downtown Disney, no place in the park, could I find a single candy-cane on the 23rd or beyond.
    Now that's just sad. Especially since it wasn't even the 25th yet.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast