Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Will Disney ever get the nerve to build Progress City the "real" EPCOT?

theres like a 40 minute youtube of his presentation of it. maybe 20 minutes

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    theres like a 40 minute youtube of his presentation of it. maybe 20 minutes
    That is probably the 24 minute "EPCOT film". It is also available on the Tomorrowland Disney's Treasures DVD and Waltopia.com. It was Walt's last appearance before a camera.

• Old Timer

As it was powered by an atomic generator, I rather doubt it in these times.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
    As it was powered by an atomic generator, I rather doubt it in these times.
    Atom energy is being looked at seriously again. I believe the Reedy Creek Improvement District still has permission to build a nuclear power plant too.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Atom energy is being looked at seriously again. I believe the Reedy Creek Improvement District still has permission to build a nuclear power plant too.

Please, let this happen. I would love to work there.

Lets build a small 500MW or even 1GW reactor. If this gets built I am so getting out of the Navy to work there.

Edit:Looks down at a can of worms and realizes its open.......
    Last edited by Mnemorath; 11-15-2007 at 06:41 AM.

SEMPER ABSURDA

• Mickey is not my Brother

ha is that what your avatar is doing, jk

• Circle of Ancients

I think the only place the true vision of EPCOT would ever be built would be in Japan or maybe Dubai.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemorath View Post
    Please, let this happen. I would love to work there.

Lets build a small 500MW or even 1GW reactor. If this gets built I am so getting out of the Navy to work there.
    Wassamata, not exciting enough running portable tea-kettles, you want to join the big boys?

It isn't a bad idea at all, except that the design work on civilian nukes has ground to a halt. They are proven to be clean and safe if operated in a responsible and cautious manner, as the military is used to doing - the accidents happen when the civilian plant operators try taking shortcuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemorath View Post
    Edit:Looks down at a can of worms and realizes its open.......
    Yeah, I heard about that. Something about all the mouth-breathing NIMBYs (that still pronounce it "nook-yoo-luur") want the cheap power, matter of fact they'll take all you can make - but will not allow any sort of reprocessing or long-term waste storage site in their state, they don't even want "that icky stuff" being transported through their state on the way to a dump "somewhere else"...

You aren't alone, even clean coal is under fire because their 'clean' isn't perfect. And they even stop wind farms and geothermal because of perceived hazards to wildlife that may or may not really be an issue.

And heaven forbid we do proper wastewater recycling! Imagine something as crazy and unsanitary as what the detractors call "Toilet to Tap" - nevermind that the reclaimed water is better than what came out of the well, to be used for irrigation, and that water has already been recycled naturally a billion times over the eons...

But we have to pick a point where it's "Clean Enough" and "Safe Enough" and move forward. If we wait for perfection before we start to build more alternative powerplants and get away from oil as a primary energy source we're going to have a really long wait with some reaaaaaally cold and dark nights. The oil is much more valuable for lubricants than fuel - we can always switch to a different fuel source, but creating lube oils out of something else will cost a lot more.

Oh, and back to the original subject: Walt would have been the one to put together the design team, the financing, the developers and construction crews, the tenant companies and the underlying philosophy to make a living and working Progress City a reality. He had a knack for finding the right person for the task, giving them what they needed, and standing back.

And if you had a team that believed in the project, I could see it working well - who wouldn't want to live close to work without being right on top of it, with the transit system and 'green living' with park space and recreation planned into the city instead of slapped together as an afterthought...

Unfortunately, Walt didn't get a chance to follow that last big dream. And the Disney Board (Roy O., the 'logical one' at the head IIRC) didn't share the vision, got cold feet and chickened out.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Closed Account

Celebration, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Wassamata, not exciting enough running portable tea-kettles, you want to join the big boys?

It isn't a bad idea at all, except that the design work on civilian nukes has ground to a halt. They are proven to be clean and safe if operated in a responsible and cautious manner, as the military is used to doing - the accidents happen when the civilian plant operators try taking shortcuts.

Yeah, I heard about that. Something about all the mouth-breathing NIMBYs (that still pronounce it "nook-yoo-luur") want the cheap power, matter of fact they'll take all you can make - but will not allow any sort of reprocessing or long-term waste storage site in their state, they don't even want "that icky stuff" being transported through their state on the way to a dump "somewhere else"...
    I know of those ID-10-T's too. They don't seem to realize that you get 300-600mrem per YEAR from natural sources in the ground and from the sun. Hell, even banana's are radioactive. They have a naturally occuring radionuclide of potassium in em. You get more radiation from your walls in a year then I get from a reactor plant onboard ship. I know how much radiation I get, they measure it and record my lifetime dose in my medical record.

To give you a better idea, smoking is more dangerous.

If you smoke, your cancer risk goes up 12%. You are also inhale radionuclides produced by burning tobaco, including Polonium 210.

If I got 1rem per year more then a non-smoker, and I have not even gotten half that in 6 YEARS of operating reactor plants, my cancer risk would go up .04%!

Nuclear reactors are safer then coal or even oil fueled power plants and produce less radiation to boot. The only power source that produces less is solar or wind power. Geothermal has its own issues. Radon for one.....

EDIT: There are plenty of engineers and other better qualified people then me on these boards. I am just a lowly naval operator. I am but a dumb mechanic. Though I did find a NICE site with lots of info and contacts.....nukeworker.com

SEMPER ABSURDA

• Boat shoes all day long

Actually, from the statistics I have seen on smoking, those who engage in this activity are known to be complete idiots.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Celebration, Florida
    Yep. As far as Disney is concerned on this idea, it's "Been There. Done That. Got the T-shirt."
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Celebration, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    Yep. As far as Disney is concerned on this idea, it's "Been There. Done That. Got the T-shirt."
    Except that Disney got out of Celebration and before it got started the city was ceded from the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

• lol what

Honestly guys.

With the way technology is going, I can't help but think that EPCOT could be possible in a matter of generations. =P

Now hang on to them hats n' glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So is the consensus that Splash Mountain would be way more exciting than Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Paris?
    Zip-a-dee-duh.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Basically when Walt died.. so too did the balls to actually stick yourself out there and try it.

The MK was built first because it was the 'known quantity' and would help finance the ability to build EPCOT. EPCOT was to be the center of the property, and that is why in part MK is so far at the top of the property.

As kind of patronage to Walt's ideals.. many concepts/ideals of the EPCOT vision were used when the Florida property was developed... but the TWDC lacked the vision to be able to pull a EPCOT concept together that actually seemed to work and would attract the corporate involvement they needed.

Heck - they had a hard enough time pulling sponsors into their multiple interations that evolved into the EPCOT Center we know today.

I think the idea could have worked on a much smaller scale if they were able to latch up with 3-4 key stable corporate partners. But these days ones with such ideals and stability are just too far inbetween I think.

I think the Google's of the world would have done it... but to find a dozen or so of such companies willing to be so progressive not just with their pocket books, but with their company's daily operations... that's a tough bill to fill.

And what's this thread doing in the DLR forum?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12