View Poll Results: Should DL be home to a new AA Theatre-Style Attraction?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a creative new AA show would be successful.

87 88.78%
  • No, the Age of Theatre-Style AA Shows is over.

11 11.22%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The Revival of the AA Theatre-Style Attraction

Can and should it be saved? With the closure of America Sings and the Country Bear Jamboree (after respectable runs), and Disney's apparent reluctance to bring Back the Lincoln AA show, one would tend to believe Disneyland is shying away from the AA show as an attraction.

With the Enchanted Tiki Room still going strong we see that an enduring theatre AA show certainly can be created, and has an audience, if not actual fans, among DL Guests.

If you believe that AA shows have a place in DL's future, what are some good AA show concepts? What can we learn from the liabilities of past AA theatre attractions?

If you think, however, that AA shows are dinosaurs, and have no place or real audience in the modern DL, why do you feel their appeal has dwindled in more recent times?

I have an idea for an AA show which I will share later, after seeing some of your thoughful opinions and ideas.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: The Revival of the AA Theatre-Style Attraction

AA's have always amazed me more than even the most advanced projection, having a 3d presence there doing what it can do knowing that its not a real person is always impressive. With the loss of country bears, america sings, and now even lincoln the only AA's we have left are the limited ride AA's that dont need to be as impressive as static AA's because you get a quick glimpse on a ride and thats it.

You know the Honey I shrunk the Audience ride would be a great area for a new AA theater attraction. Robotics will be futuristic for many decades to come and with advances in technology it can keep progressing, it can be a progressive show perhaps, each year a newer system that can show new ranges of motion, expresions and effects.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I love seeing AA's doing their thing and Disney knows that any attraction they make, it will be compared to Pirates of the Caribbean as the one to measure up to.

And with that said, I don't think their lack in faith in Lincoln is a sign of animatronics not coming back.... it's just an attraction that has an important part in Disneyland [and USA] History but it's an attraction that is never that popular with the visiting guests. It doesn't pack them in and I think that's what's holding them back.

Even when it returned with the fancy audio effects, people still got bored and would rather do something else. Disneyland having too many attractions could be one argument for this however.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    AA's have always amazed me more than even the most advanced projection, having a 3d presence there doing what it can do knowing that its not a real person is always impressive. With the loss of country bears, america sings, and now even lincoln the only AA's we have left are the limited ride AA's that dont need to be as impressive as static AA's because you get a quick glimpse on a ride and thats it.

You know the Honey I shrunk the Audience ride would be a great area for a new AA theater attraction. Robotics will be futuristic for many decades to come and with advances in technology it can keep progressing, it can be a progressive show perhaps, each year a newer system that can show new ranges of motion, expresions and effects.
    A terrific point about the quality of AAs themselves. The AAs we see on attractions are certainly less sophisticated than theatre AAs, and this is a shame. I, too, would love to see what a lavishly-funded team of Imagineers could come up with using today's impressive AA technology, and I think others would, as well.

• ROFLCOPTER!

I posted an idea for an AA ride in that other AA thread, so I'll post an idea for a show here!

Wren's mention of the hista theater made me think that there is the potential for a cool robot show. They don't even have to give the AAs much of a skin. There could be lasers and fog effects, and kaboom! And crash! And wowie!

It would be like the newer 3d stuff like it's tough to be a bug. The seats could do things and the robots could spring up everywhere. It could begin with a basic demonstration of happy robot life or something, then an 'evil' robot takes over, whatever. Or a mad inventor and his evil invention take over for a bit before they are defeated by the good inventor and his helpful robots. This idea would need lots of refining, but I think it could work.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Perhaps its not the AAs but the ADD.

While many of us did and do love the beauty of the AAs, and would love to see more classic, new and improved versions, perhaps the "newer" and not necessarily-improved audiences of today aren't as capable of simply enjoying them for what they are.

The world of gaming modified for theme parks would certainly seem to be an easier, faster and immediately gratifying pleasure over an historical attraction with "The Battle Hymm of The Republic" in its soundtrack.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I don't know if Disney as a whole is getting away from the AA show, or just Disneyland. WDW still has Country Bear Jamboree. They also have the Hall of Presidents and at Epcot they have the American Adventure. So Disney has not closed down as many AA shows at Disney World as they have at Disneyland.

• "I Break Things"

Just a thought but it appears Disney has moved to a combination of AA and movie based integration. I offer Star Tours, Muppet Vision, and Honey as examples...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Trintara View Post
    I posted an idea for an AA ride in that other AA thread, so I'll post an idea for a show here!

Wren's mention of the hista theater made me think that there is the potential for a cool robot show. They don't even have to give the AAs much of a skin. There could be lasers and fog effects, and kaboom! And crash! And wowie!

It would be like the newer 3d stuff like it's tough to be a bug. The seats could do things and the robots could spring up everywhere. It could begin with a basic demonstration of happy robot life or something, then an 'evil' robot takes over, whatever. Or a mad inventor and his evil invention take over for a bit before they are defeated by the good inventor and his helpful robots. This idea would need lots of refining, but I think it could work.
    I'm liking this idea. In response to the OP, yes Fo'C they absolutely need to focus on more AAs. I just have a bad feeling, if they do something in the HISTA theater it'll be cheezey like Stitch's Great ADVENTURE. Ugh.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I would love to see more AA theatre-style attractions! These have always been my favorites from the Carousel of Progress to the Tiki Room. These are what makes Disneyland unique to me and makes it different from all the other amusement parks.

• Mickey is not my Brother

Frontierland needs some AA why not give the an attraction

•   

Cool ideas so far, and the HISTA theatre would be a likely location--a 'Robotic' theme lends itself nicely to AA design.

I have been thinking about an AA show featuring Disney animated characters. If any of you have seen the A&E program 'Inside the Actor's Studio', you may have a good idea where I am going with this.

The show is a small-capacity room with a changeable 'panel' of Disney stars to be 'group interviewed' by a human host (who may her/himself be a face character, i.e. Alice, Cruella, Mary Poppins, etc.)

I see the characters on a dais, seated. Possibly three or four daises created (but only one visible per show) all having a unique set of 8-10 Disney stars (allowing the show a little room for 'repeatability'--different day/time, diffeent dais).

A sample group may include:

The open forum could include song, conversation, showing 'clips' of Disney scenes. Even possibly have an interactive portion using a 'Turtle Talk' format.

This tongue-in-cheek look at Disney Toons would, of course, be located in ToonTown, adding life to a pretty dead, non-engaging area.

An AA James Lipton sounds a little frightening!

But yes, I absolutely love AAs and hope that they feature prominently in future plans.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Wonder if he'd need a contract waiver from Bravo/NBC-Universal?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    How could one make a realistic James Lipton AA, considering James Lipton himself looks artificial? Hmmm...

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast