Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: America Sings question!

For those wondering how the audience rotated around the stage.... imagine the whole building as a portobello mushroom stuck in a doughnut. The mushroom, upright, was rooted to the ground, and the doughnut rotated. The stages and the way upstairs were all in the stem of the mushroom. So you entered on the bottom floor (the outer side of the doughhut. Went full circle around the mushroom, exited inside, to the stem of the mushroom, went upstairs to the head of the mushroom, and exited out the top.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Okay, I'll try that w/ bleu cheese on the side, thanks!

• FastPass n00b

It's been a while since I've seen Sings, but didn't they have a "disco ball" effect during stage transitions? It was almost as if the disco ball stayed still and the movement of the audience made it appear like it was a spinning disco ball. How'd they achieve that effect? I was never able to pinpoint the projector.

• Minion

That was one of my favorite effects in the show.

You know .. in the CoP days .. all stages remained fully lit.

But for America Sings ...... that projected star effect was GREAT!

It was that effect that I beleive helped keep America Sings a bit relevant to Tomorrowland.

I always felt like the characters and the environments disappeared .. as we found ourselves in outerpace .. and with the traveling we did on the rotating set of auditoriums .... it was like "space travel".

I don't think they used a "disco" ball. Whatever they used .... I don't think it was that.
    Last edited by Escapé; 07-22-2005 at 01:44 PM.

• FastPass n00b

Yeah, it was one of my favorite effects too. The movement of the building and the starfield together really created a unique sensation. I've tried to find a video that captured the starfield on film but unfortunately video cameras in the 1980's just weren't that sophisticated. It was such a subtle (yet powerful) effect that I don't even think today's camcorders could pick it up.

It's truly a testiment to Disney's stupidity that they've kept one of the most innovative and unique show buildings as an office/storage area or (even worse) Innoventions for 17 years. There's not another building like it in the world, outside of Disney's theme parks, and they've treated it like a garbage can for almost 2 decades. This is much akin to relegating the Disneyland Railroad to pulling coal across the country...a complete waste and disregard for its true intention.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz
    We'd also go ghost hunting looking for the spirit of Deborah Gail Stone (who was killed on the attraction in 1974).
    LOL, we once had a "performance" of Deborah's last day in the attraction, done by a slender male parade performer sitting on a stool in that corner holding what was left of the microphone, and then falling off the stool into the breakaway walls. The audience about fell over laughing. One of my favorite backstage memories of all to this day.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    I wonder why they wouldn't want to do an updated version of CoP starting with 50's and then going up through the turn of the century. Maybe something the would truly reflect an idea of how the near future (30 years from now for example :P ) would be.

It is actually quite simple. Those shows are expensive to build and expensive to maintain, and they grow stale in 10 years or so.

Rather than spend the money on an AA show that will be old in 5 years, way stale in 10, and need to be replaced in less than 15 years, Disney would rather spend half as much on a cartoon themed ride that will last for 50+ years, or spend the same amount on a thrill based attraction that will last for 50+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan
    LOL, we once had a "performance" of Deborah's last day in the attraction, done by a slender male parade performer sitting on a stool in that corner holding what was left of the microphone, and then falling off the stool into the breakaway walls. The audience about fell over laughing. One of my favorite backstage memories of all to this day.

Sorry I missed that performance. One of my favorite leads at the park told me all sorts of stories about spooky things she saw on that ride.

Debora and Mr. Wedway were here favorite invisible friends.......

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Question Re: America Sings question!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    I watched a video
    There is a video of the Old Amercia Sings??? What's it called and where can you get it. All I've ever seen was the music which I have.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/foru....php?i=165&c=5

Thats the link, just click where it says Video

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Barbie?
    There is a video of the Old Amercia Sings??? What's it called and where can you get it. All I've ever seen was the music which I have.
    Here's a clip that you can download if you have Real Player. http://webjay.org/iteminfo/1072579/0...1bfc14dc6dccd3

Please refer to the following contact info. if you have any problems downloading. You might even be able to order a video from the contact listed here, or else get a referral.
    http://www.visionsfantastic.com/contact/index.html
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-22-2005 at 03:37 PM.

• Where Schemes Come True!

darn...it asks me to register...
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    It's been a while since I've seen Sings, but didn't they have a "disco ball" effect during stage transitions? It was almost as if the disco ball stayed still and the movement of the audience made it appear like it was a spinning disco ball. How'd they achieve that effect? I was never able to pinpoint the projector.
    If I remember correctly, the rotating section of the theater that the audience sat in had tiny blinking lights on the walls & on the floor. They would turn on & move in a synchronized pattern when the transitions were made from one show scene to the next.

Also, The Carousel Of Progress spun clockwise and America Sings spun counter-clockwise.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    If I remember correctly, the rotating section of the theater that the audience sat in had tiny blinking lights on the walls & on the floor. They would turn on & move in a synchronized pattern when the transitions were made from one show scene to the next.
    Added to avoid "smooshing" accidents perhaps?

• wasting time

I think the breakaway walls were added for that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast