Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How should I prepare a first time visitor?

I guess I was looking at this a little more practically....

1)Comfy shoes that you can stand and walk in ALL DAY!

2)Don't carry too much with you

3)Take a lot of pictures

4)Make the day all about them...let them decide what to do

My best score ever!

• ...lurks...

My vote is this:

Ask him to hand you his wallet - take all the money out of it, then throw it on the floor and slap him in the face, then punch him in the guts.

Then, when you get to the park, all the rest of it, regardless of how it is, will seem great in comparison.

Best time to take first-timers, is NOT during the holidays...unless they really like crowds and waiting in lines.

Having both crowds and long-lines for the first-timer, will more than likely taint him forever on how Disneyland is...

• Down Pluto!

Once inside - Do not act like the adult you are. It is a signal that it is OK to be a kid again. What happens in DL - stays in DL...and ummm... MiceChat...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Once inside - Do not act like the adult you are. It is a signal that it is OK to be a kid again. What happens in DL - stays in DL...and ummm... MiceChat...

Yea, that too...

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This is simple. Do nothing at all.

But this is very important no matter what you do, do NOT ignore the entrance plaques before you enter the park.

Stand there and have him read it, "Here you leave the world of today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."

That is all you need to do in order to help him understand just what it is that makes Disneyland different than any amusement park in the world.
    That is what I was going to say. Don't fill their head with all your experiences. Instead tell them that they are in charge, just follow them about and do what they want, try not to get impatient with them "making mistakes".

You'll possibly see the Park in a whole new light.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Hit it, Skip!

Thank for all the great responses!
    The practical ones are good to remember too, thanks.

I don't think I'll slap him in the face or punch him this time. The taking the money part, however, might come in handy.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Just remember that he is not a Disney geek like the rest of us. He most likely doesn't know anything about DL's history, trivia, inside workings, backstage, secret restrooms, etc. etc. As everyone else said, don't overload him, and let him have fun on his own.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

You have to cover a few practical matters ahead of time, like "What to do if we get seperated." Even adults travelling in a group should cover that one, panic attacks are no less real. (And you know a lot more real things to panic about.) The old standby is "Top of the hour at the Partners Statue."

He needs to know that if the Work Lights come on while riding a coaster like Space or Big Thunder, or the show sound and lights go off, the next thing that will probably happen is an E-Stop at the next brake zone. And he has to be facing forward and arms ready because it might not be a gentle stop...

If you have a Premium Pass, he is not allowed to spend money anywhere without checking with you first - you could teach him the entire discounts list, but that's a bit much to swallow.

You can try gently tossing a few Disney Geek Details at him and see what the reaction is before deciding to continue. For some people it enhances the Cool Factor, for others it's an "Eh."

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• =)

I'm with all the others. Lots of fantastic advice being given here. Explain a little of how Disneyland's goal is truly different from that of any other type of place he's ever been to. Point out cool stuff during the day, make suggestions of fun things to do, but really let him experience it for himself. Let's not puff ourselves up to the point where we think Disneyland needs our introduction, you know?

Make sure the crowds don't get to you, though. An easygoing attitude on your part about the ridiculous mobs of people will help him relax through it, too.

• Hit it, Skip!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    You have to cover a few practical matters ahead of time, like "What to do if we get seperated." Even adults travelling in a group should cover that one, panic attacks are no less real. (And you know a lot more real things to panic about.) The old standby is "Top of the hour at the Partners Statue."

He needs to know that if the Work Lights come on while riding a coaster like Space or Big Thunder, or the show sound and lights go off, the next thing that will probably happen is an E-Stop at the next brake zone. And he has to be facing forward and arms ready because it might not be a gentle stop...

If you have a Premium Pass, he is not allowed to spend money anywhere without checking with you first - you could teach him the entire discounts list, but that's a bit much to swallow.

You can try gently tossing a few Disney Geek Details at him and see what the reaction is before deciding to continue. For some people it enhances the Cool Factor, for others it's an "Eh."

--<< Bruce >>--
    These are all great tips that I hadn't thought about yet, thanks!

He is definitely a trivia fan...thanks to him, I know more than I ever needed to about the innerworkings of Build-a-Bear...

But I will definitely not overload him and allow him to enjoy everything at his own pace.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

One more thing you gotta do.

TRIP REPORT WITH HIS THOUGHTS!!!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I'm not really here

I don't think you need to tell him much about Disneyland itself befor you go. Disneyland speaks for itself in a voice that is heard universally by the young and the old. He'll know it's not an ordinary theme park from the moment he approaches the esplanade. That feeling will only get stronger as he goes through the train tunnels. Take it slow, let the details sink in. If he is a trivia fan he'll be looking for tiny things and little details automatically. That's when you can throw a cool fact out every now and then. If they just want to look, let them and save the cool facts for later on. When going with the flow, make sure it's their flow. Let them wander through the park and experience it their way on their first time. It will become so much more personal if they are allowed to discover it themselves. Whenever taking someone for the first time I always have to remind myself that I'm just along for the ride. If you see characters, wave hi to them like their old friends and even if they don't get it, they'll soon be waving too. I liked the idea of having them watch some of the Disney movies, just to get the feel of things. But I suggest leaving Disneyland a mystery so that the show can unfold on its own.

Most importantly for you, try to see the park through their eyes and have a first trip of your own all over again.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hit it, Skip!

Thanks so much, everyone, for your great ideas & suggestions.
    Everytime we go to Disneyland and are in line for a ride, I like to try and guess who in the queue is riding for the first time and try and gauge their reactions. So, I'm really excited to be taking someone who has never been and be able to experience that initial feeling all over again.
    Hopefully we'll get to take lots of pictures and I think it would be fun to post a few here along with how he enjoyed the park.
    Thanks again for all your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12