Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Wheelchair questions

For various reasons having to do with a wound on my left heel, the doctor treating the wound says I have to keep weight off it as much as possible.

Therefore, if I want to go to Disneyland this Sunday, he says I do it in a wheelchair or not at all. I haven't been in almost three months, and I have to go help my Mom in Costa Mesa (I live north of Ventura), so I'm going to be there.

I haven't gotten one for home use yet, and it's been a long time since I played a man in a wheelchair on stage for the Garden Grove High School production of "The Man Who Came To Dinner".

So I know it's wheel or motorchair rental time when I get to the park (I can walk some, but the doc has asked me not to as much as possible).

Those who know me know that I am a small boy (6'5", about 370). I will be coming alone. I know the motorized chairs cost more, but it sounds like it'd be a better way to go.

Any help here would be most appreciated. And I promise...no more "woe is me" threads.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• decorating

Re: Wheelchair questions

easier to run over small children with- you can take revenge on all of the women shoving strollers thrugh crowds
    Watched mother in law, who learned to drive one at WDW.
    Hint- do not go full speed and stop suddenly, and do not go down main Street with your eyes on the top of the buildings so that everyone else has to jump away from you (true story)

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Two days (one considering it's well after closing hours now) to make other arrangements is cutting it too tight, but if you can rent a scooter off-site you'll do much better - Disney thinks they can mint money with the scooter rentals. Last I checked it was $50-ish a day.

Which is why when we were offered a hand-me-down three-wheeler and the lift carrier, I grabbed it. Even after putting a trailer hitch on the car, and a new set of batteries in the scooter, we're still WAY ahead compared to rentals.

They're even offering "consumer" models at non-Medical Supply venues, from kid's scooter makers like Bladez, for not much more than a set of batteries. Of course, I saw this AFTER buying the new batteries...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks for the warning, Bruce. But many scooters don't fit in my car anyway, so I'll probably have to "pony up" or use a wheelchair. Does anyone know if they have different sizes of wheelchairs for rental, since I am, like I said, such a...small boy...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• A Pirate's life for me!

The last time that we rented a wheelchair from the Park (last year), they did have two sizes of chairs. Though they do have fewer of the larger size ones available.

When you rent it, just ask the CM for a larger one. Hopefully, they still offer them.

Good luck!

I can confirm that they still have the larger wheelchairs but as PirateMickey said, there is a finite amount.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Barry, I am pretty sure that they have the 'heavier duty' models at the park. Since you are a bigger person a motorized scooter is the way to go. Just take your time and be patient with people as sometimes they just do not pay attention and will stop immediately in front of you or try to cross in front of you. Most importantly have fun.

• Banned User

No wheelchair advice, Barry, but, had to say that your avatar is adorable and I LOVE the comment, "Chick magnet". So cute!

• Circle of Ancients

And I think the scooter is $50 a day, but that includes a $30 deposit that you will get back. I think it's only $20 or $25ish.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thank you folks for all of your ideas. I had told you before about my battle with diabetes, which is part of whT I'm dealing with hre. I finally have gotten serious about it and am doing what I am told.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    No wheelchair advice, Barry, but, had to say that your avatar is adorable and I LOVE the comment, "Chick magnet". So cute!
    Thank you! They are my wife's sister's two daughters...Katie and Nikki...ergo, my nieces.

We had a family get together last weekend during which that shot was taken.

If I do say so myself, I think I bear an ever so slight facial resemblance to Walt Disney in this shot...remembering the one where he's hugging the two little girls making their way into Disneyland. Okay, it's a stretch...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Thank you! They are my wife's sister's two daughters...Katie and Nikki...ergo, my nieces.

We had a family get together last weekend during which that shot was taken.

If I do say so myself, I think I bear an ever so slight facial resemblance to Walt Disney in this shot...remembering the one where he's hugging the two little girls making their way into Disneyland. Okay, it's a stretch...
    You are so cute, Barry!!! Maybe a stretch, but, you're a sweet man like Walt, how's that?? How's that Angel of yours??

• Minion

The manual wheelchairs are a $30 deposit, which $20 of you get back. If you go that route, just tell the person who is giving out wheelchairs you want a "blue" one. (I went last nite with some friends and they needed a bigger one and that is what they told them to say...)
    But, if you are going to be there all day with no one to push u at first, I would just get the electric one! They are nice and then you don't have to depend on someone pushing you up and down hills and such!

• Old Timer

I'm sorry that I'm going to miss you tomorrow Barry. Unfortunately my Crohn's is not behaving well.
    I have been waving anytime I drive past your place off 101.
    If you see Mickey tomorrow, wish him a happy birthday for me.
    Hope to see you soon.

Hmm... I'd definitely go for the manual wheelchair. Disneyland does offer the larger-format wheelchairs, and best of all, they are foldable, and don't take as much space as an ECV. You'll find the wheelchair to be easier to deal with, trust me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast