Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by Stare Girl
    And amateurs like me enjoy reading it when two people who know about it talk about it!
    Oh this is nothing! It could go on like this for days forever derailing this poor thread. Yeah um so....Star Tours, thats one hell of a ride, but I always get the new guy!

• The Uber Film Geek

Man I need to go to bed, I'm getting all grumby and mean
    Nah, you're just passionate.

I understand your viewpoint. I just think that the majority of people would rather not have scratches and film defects that come with running a print a lot (which is what this thread is complaining about), especially for a virtual experience that Star Tours provides. Like I said before, there are pros and cons to this situation. If it was Lawrence of Arabia I'd say 70mm all the way, but this isn't.
    Digital anything just feels really cold to me. I even like analog video over it
    Interesting. Do you really like VHS/LD over DVD? :confused: I mean, if I had the ability to have 35mm prints in my personal collection I'd watch film that way, but for Home Video digital simply makes sense.

Anyway, real quick, my bio - I got my BA in Media Arts, with a Critical Studies emphasis, from BYU in April '04.

Now, for the REAL tough question - Buster Keaton or Grace Kelly - who's more pleasurable to watch? Hmmmmmmm......
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• Minion

I must say, star tour's film does pretty good for its age compared to the much younger soarin'. The ride could benefit from a digital projection system though, since a phantom intrusion (this can be a bit of water from rain or a quarter) on entrance ramps doesn't prohibit the attraction from starting, it merely stops it 10 seconds in. When this happens the whole film needs to be cycled through before the attraction can be run again. A lot of those cabins could use some cosmetic work though.

• That's Hawt

Wow, I love reading passionate people arguing about something they love ... very interesting! And I love Star Tours ... but I have had the syncing be off and I got nearly sick .... Town Hall had several complaints from people in the same simulator as I.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceAge Columnist

Long ago I saw the Star Tours vehicles doing their thing from the outside. That was neat. You could see the film spooling around behind the vehicle itself.

And then, somehow I have this memory that in the intervening years, they started using laserdisc instead of film. It's a fuzzy memory, though, so it could be wrong. But laserdic would mean there shouldn't be scratches on film, etc.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• My Children's Father

I'm not sure what exactly the OPer saw, but if a laserdisc is anything like a DVD, it can get scratched or dirty which can result in distorted imagery. I have rented discs that look like someone let their kids play frisbee with it, or use it for skeet shooting ...... sometimes they are unwatchable. I know as I listen to CDs in my car, they sometimes "skip" if I hit a bump, or pull extraneous gees going around a curve ... and I think it has gotten worse as my car has aged ..... perhaps the Star Tours cabin 3 laserdisc suspension system is wearing out ...
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Banned User

hmm... now that i think of it.. I doo seem to remember that Busch Garden's simulator uses lazer disk for its movie... perhaps disney also uses lazer disk now..... (or DVD now)

it can get dirty meaning the lense needsd to get cleaned every so often and that might make sence why it looks messed up??

• The Uber Film Geek

No, I've riden Star Tours enough to know that at DL it's still film. Pops and scratches are film defects, while LD and DVD defects look very different. They look "digital". For instance, macroblocking is a digital dropout that causes a part of the image to become distorted digital blocks. If ST was on disc, the film defects such as pops and cratches would never change.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• New Waver

I second what Captveg said, it is film. I asked a CM last time I was there if it was film even though I was sure it was (hence the passion) and he had to call to the tower and found out it was. So got on it 3 more times in different simulatiors and I am sure I saw the print that Disneyfan was talking about too, but I liked it. Damaged film is my obsession right now, in fact the 16mm film I am working on right now I have hand prossed myself to give it that damaged look and then I have run it though a dirty projector.

Now to answer your questions Captveg. I will admit defeat in that fact that most people will not see the difference between film and a digital projection and that they would even prefer it. Just one more place for film to get taken over I guess.

And for home movies yes I like DVD over VHS (when the bloody things don't have any scratches on them). But I can be a bit of a puseist when it comes to theater projetion. If it was shot in film, I want to see a print, it it was shot in analog video I want to see it in bata max, and if it was shot digital I want to see it on digibata. You really can't tell much difference but it is there.

And Buster Keton all the way! The stone faced man rules! I have a teacher that loves the guy and it kind of wore off on me. But Grace Kelly is not without her charm, there will never be anouther one like her.

BYU huh. Well I grew up in Utah and that is were I got my start in the "pro market" making wedding videos. I really hated it but the money was pretty good! . I went to Weber State for a while studying history, no point to even take a media/film class from that place. I thought about going to UofU or BYU when I wanted to go to filmschool. But I don't have the grades so CalArts it was for me!

• And a hippin' and a hopin

I am confident that the distortion was not from the lens due to the fact that the pops and scratches only appeared at certain times, not throughout the movie.

While I agree that film does look better and offers better depth on screen, the benefits of going Digital far outweigh the look of film. To an average guest, a pristine screen that has a digital "look" would probably fare better than looking at an obviously faked film projection with scratches and pops.

• Banned User

It is true that film can get pretty messed up, but I have to disagree with you about digital projection looking as good as film projection. A digital projection still cannot come close to the depth that film has. Why do you think that none of the mainstream theaters have yet to switch to digital?
    I dont know where you live but where I live every theater is projected digitally.

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I dont know where you live but where I live every theater is projected digitally.
    I live in Valencia (about 20 minutes north of L.A. where 6 flags is). And there are some digital presentations but most theaters still show 35mm. But I try to get down to Hollywood to see new films if I can (nothing like a Hollywood presatation!) and they are still mostly useing film and belive me if there is going to be this big digital change that I have been hearing about for the last 5 years Hollywood would be the first place to make it. But since most movies are still made in film it is actually cheaper to still show a film on a print.

I see you live in Rancho Santa Margarita, thats in the OC right? I can think of a few places down in the OC that have some digital presentations but all, I am pretty sure no. Most theaters still use 35mm. You might be thinking of digital sound which is very common.

• And a hippin' and a hopin

Quote Originally Posted by Boingonut
    I live in Valencia (about 20 minutes north of L.A. where 6 flags is). And there are some digital presentations but most theaters still show 35mm. But I try to get down to Hollywood to see new films if I can (nothing like a Hollywood presatation!) and they are still mostly useing film and belive me if there is going to be this big digital change that I have been hearing about for the last 5 years Hollywood would be the first place to make it. But since most movies are still made in film it is actually cheaper to still show a film on a print.

I see you live in Rancho Santa Margarita, thats in the OC right? I can think of a few places down in the OC that have some digital presentations but all, I am pretty sure no. Most theaters still use 35mm. You might be thinking of digital sound which is very common.

The Giant Screen Edwards over in the mall uses Digital Projection, as well as Digital Audio.

• That's Hawt

I have a question. If they went to Digital on ST then wouldn't the film be much crisper? If the film looked better than wouldn't it make the experience better? I would think that an image without scratches or anything would be 100% better on a ride where you are trying to trick the mind into believing you are really going through a giant ice crystal in a starspeeder.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan25863
    The Giant Screen Edwards over in the mall uses Digital Projection, as well as Digital Audio.
    Yes yes, and that place rules by the way, they have some great 70mm stuff in there sometimes! I saw a digital presatation, and to quote you Disneyfan I was "like yawn" , but remember I'm a freak about film . Most up scale theaters these days are like the edwards theater, there is one IMAX 70mm / digital theater and then the rest of the theaters still show 35mm.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast