Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by captveg
    which is good, because I'd like to see more THX-1138 type films from him, personally.
    Oooooo, me too! When I saw that film is high school I feel in love with it. I don't think he will though, he's gone too corporate to make movie as "artsy" as THX anymore. But maybe he still has it in him since he is one of the greatest filmmakers of our time...but you know hollywood, you are only as good as your last film and for most people his last films have sucked (I actully do not have many problems with the new SW flicks, they are not bad but they are not great like the old ones)...

BTW I just wanted to make it clear that I have no problem with them puting in a new film into star tours and I think if they did make a new film it should be projected digtally. I just don't think they need to put a new system in for the current film.

• Hero-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by mistersh0w
    I'll probably be in line at the midnight showing of Episode 3, but not because i'm a Star Wars fan, and not because I spent my childhood wearing out our BETA copies of 4,5, and 6. But because I want to see Lucas put his "saga" to rest...let it die a glorious death. In full 16:9 aspect ratio, projected in beautiful high quality THX certified digital projection. On a bed of millions, upon millions of dollars.
    Heh heh. Personally, I would agree that the prequels have their flaws - but most of these flaws are in the mindsets of the people watching them rather than the films themselves. And, even though they have these flaws, they're still head and sabers above absolutely anything else out there. I also find it odd that many people seem to think that the prequels' flaws somehow detract from the original movies - "Oh, now you've gone and ruined it!". This seems a little silly.

On the other hand, my love of Star Wars is almost based more on the books than the movies. This is because the pivotal moment in my life that launched my obsession with space opera is when I first rode Star Tours when I was five. This established it as something "bigger" than the movies, a nebulous idea of flashing blasters, droids and exciting music - an ethic rather than a saga. An idea is immortal.

I don't know what all that has to do with anything , but there it is. Also, I gotta hope the good name of Star Wars will be redeemed when Episode III comes out in May. IF anyone sees it. So not to derail the thread or anything, any updates to the ride would be based on the adventure and the visuals - the immortal ETHIC - and would therefore be a pure experience, as good as the original. You can bet your breeches.

• The Uber Film Geek

I don't think he will though, he's gone too corporate to make movie as "artsy" as THX anymore. But maybe he still has it in him since he is one of the greatest filmmakers of our time...but you know hollywood, you are only as good as your last film and for most people his last films have sucked (I actully do not have many problems with the new SW flicks, they are not bad but they are not great like the old ones)...
    Lucas is anti-Hollywood. Always has been, always will be. He's said several times in interviews over the last few years that he wants to go back to his experimental film roots, and that the new Star Wars films have given him the financial ability to do so.

Of course, Lucas loves the production format of television (where producers have the say artistically and directors are simply hired to be the on set supervisor, not for artistic visions). It could be that his experimental aspects are shown there and not on the big screen.

As far as the Prequels go - they're fun fantasy adventures, nothing more, nothing less. I enjoy them, flaws and all, and I have a good time. If I want high cinematic art I don't turn to Star Wars. But that's just me.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• Long live Dark Rides!

Lucas is anti-Hollywood. Always has been, always will be.
    Are you serious?! Lucas? Seriously c'mon, you must be talking about a different Lucas....Maybe, the famous Ventriloquist Ron Lucas? There's no way you think GEORGE Lucas is "anti-Hollywood"!! His latest films, if you want to call them that, have followed the same "very hollywood" formulaic storytelling format that ALL big Hollywood films follow. Especially the Star Wars films. HUGE multi-billion dollar franchise!! HELLO! Jar Jar cookies?! Yoda slippers...Lucas, as in George, is a Hollywood whore, just like James Cameron, just like Steve Spielberg, and just like Tim Burton. You want a REAL "anti-Hollywood" director? Try Terry Gilliam, Michel Gondry, and P.T. Anderson...

He's said several times in interviews over the last few years that he wants to go back to his experimental film roots.
    Good for him. If you ask me, he'd be better off pairing up with Spielberg, make more gems like the Indiana Jones Trilogy...but hey, that's just me.

...and that the new Star Wars films have given him the financial ability to do so.
    Dude, the OLD Star Wars films have given him the financial ability to do so...In fact, I bet he could have made another film like THX-1138 with the sales of Star Wars cereal alone....

The fact of the matter is this: If you knew for a fact that the last three installments of your MEGA SAGA DOUBLE TRILOGY would be cash cow MEGA HITS. I bet you'd cast Natalie Portman as a Queen too....Cause I bet that's what 20th Century Fox wanted...and that's VERY Hollywood.

BUT, one good thing I will say about Lucas, and probably the ONLY "Anti-Hollywood" thing about him, was that fact that the cost of the prequels came completely out of his own pocket....and that's cool.
    "Don't tell me what I CAN'T DO!" -John Locke - 1956-2007

• The Uber Film Geek

Are you serious?! Lucas?
    Dead serious.
    Seriously c'mon, you must be talking about a different Lucas....Maybe, the famous Ventriloquist Ron Lucas? There's no way you think GEORGE Lucas is "anti-Hollywood"!!
    He willfully resigned from the Director's Guild due to a dispute over The Empire Strikes Back back in '80. He doesn't rely on the Hollywood system, but rather independently produces his films and gets Hollywood studios only for distribution. He owns the rights to all his films. The man is an independent, not a Hollywood insider.
    His latest films, if you want to call them that, have followed the same "very hollywood" formulaic storytelling format that ALL big Hollywood films follow.
    I'm not talking about narrative structure, but rather method of financing and production. He's his own boss and the studios are privileged to distribute his films, not the other way around like it is regularly in Hollywood.
    Especially the Star Wars films. HUGE multi-billion dollar franchise!!
    Financed by Lucasfilm, not Fox.
    HELLO! Jar Jar cookies?! Yoda slippers...
    Merchandise that is controlled by Lucas, not a Hollywood studio.
    Lucas, as in George, is a Hollywood whore, just like James Cameron, just like Steve Spielberg, and just like Tim Burton.
    Tim Burton? Dude, Tim Burton wouldn't have the money to produce a 10 minute film about a paper bag floating in the wind - he's completely reliant on a studio for financing. Spielberg became a co-head of a studio, Dreamworks, 20 years after Lucas bailed out of Hollywood. Cameron still needs studio money to fund films.
    You want a REAL "anti-Hollywood" director? Try Terry Gilliam, Michel Gondry, and P.T. Anderson...
    In their storytelling, sure. But I wasn't talking about storytelling, I was talking about Lucas as overseer of all that is Lucasfilm.
    Dude, the OLD Star Wars films have given him the financial ability to do so...In fact, I bet he could have made another film like THX-1138 with the sales of Star Wars cereal alone....
    Nope. He was in that position, but then he got divorced. That zapped most of his producing money. Read his recent interviews - Lucas is very blunt about his financial freedom to produce films without a studio's help being zapped by the divorce.
    The fact of the matter is this: If you knew for a fact that the last three installments of your MEGA SAGA DOUBLE TRILOGY would be cash cow MEGA HITS. I bet you'd cast Natalie Portman as a Queen too....Cause I bet that's what 20th Century Fox wanted...and that's VERY Hollywood.
    Fox has nothing to do with any creative aspect of the Star Wars films. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Portman was cast because Lucas cast her. And my very point is that Lucas knew these new Star Wars films would be hits - that's why he trusted in them to bankroll the remaining projects he's going to do after them.

BUT, one good thing I will say about Lucas, and probably the ONLY "Anti-Hollywood" thing about him, was that fact that the cost of the prequels came completely out of his own pocket....and that's cool
    Which was my point exactly.

Lucas has had a very similar career to another Hollywood outsider who fought for his independence and struggled to change the technology of filmmaking - Walt Disney. Steamboat Willie, Skywalker Sound, Multiplane Camera, Industrial Light and Magic. You can mirror their careers and they are eerily similar.

For Lucas, his intent was to always make avant-garde experimental films. He did that in college and then with the feature THX 1138. Warner Bros. didn't know what to do with it, so they recut it and it didn't exactly light up the box office. Lucas was ticked off that they messed with his film, and from this point on he has never relinquished final cut. He then was dared by Coppola to make a narrative, traditional film, and that ended up being American Graffiti. It was a huge hit, and it's soundtrack forever changed how music is used in film. American Graffiti's success enabled Lucas to take a gamble and receive financing for an absurd idea - a Sci-Fi action opera. Lucas was able to get more funding by agreeing to take a pay cut in exchange for merchandise rights. Once the film was a grandiose hit, Lucas bought the rights to his three films. He also had his original filmmaking goals forever altered. He knew he had the opportunity to continue the Star Wars stories, and he took it. Ever since then he has produced his own films. The Empire Strikes Back was produced with Lucas' own money. Same with Return of the Jedi. Then, in the 80's, after having become synonymous with "blockbuster" - the complete opposite of what he thought he'd be - Lucas went on another path. His fascination with film as technology pushed his sound and visual effects agenda, and he's been there, primarily, ever since.

So, when I say Lucas is "anti-Hollywood" I mean that he has never followed Hollywood trends - Hollywood instead has followed him. Whether it was the action blockbuster, or visual effects, or the Rock and Roll soundtrack, Lucas was the trail blazer. He hates the guilds and unions, and he hates the system. Even for the new Star Wars films he's pushed the envelope in effects further and further.

Like Disney, films were a way to tell a story, not only traditionally, but with new technology at every step. And they both hated working through other studios and not having full creative control over their projects. The key difference, however, IMO, is that Walt always used technology to enhance his storytelling, while Lucas likes to use his storytelling to enhance technology.

But Lucas mainstream Hollywood? The heads of the major studios would be very quick to disagree with you.
    Last edited by captveg; 02-28-2005 at 02:33 AM.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• All you need is LOVE

I think they should re do it.We will see what they will do.

• Hero-in-Training

As far as the Prequels go - they're fun fantasy adventures, nothing more, nothing less. I enjoy them, flaws and all, and I have a good time. If I want high cinematic art I don't turn to Star Wars. But that's just me.
    That's possibly the most clear-headed thing I've ever heard anyone say about Star Wars. Maybe that's why I like it so much - I'm notoriously, vociferously, and passionately anti-fine art.

Captveg, for your intuition and film knowlege...

• Kirbyshowcase.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I know all you are like anti-digital projetion. But if a new film was done, they could use the same system as in Mission: Space at Epcot in WDW. It's clearer then ANY simulator screen, and is more realistic too.
    I haven't actually ridden the ride but from what I have seen on travel channel and such is that the ride looks really poorly animated. Thats probably not what your talking about with the clarity though but from I've seen, the 3D animation doesn't look realistic at all. I mean we have lots of people out there that are working on movies like spiderman, star wars, etc. Disney should atleast go to them to get something that looks like actual space. But then again who am I to judge, I haven't ridden it yet.
    (insert funny comment here)

• Long live Dark Rides!

Ok, I agree, and allow me to apologise for babbling on about the formulaic Hollywood sceme. You are correct captveg, Lucas is "anti-hollywood" in the sense that he takes most of the responsibility of filmmaking, and other such processes into his own hands. Which is a very hard thing to do. And I will give him that. But like I said before, in my opinion, he should stick to coming up with amazing story ideas, and pair up with Spielberg to make more awesome movies like the Indy series.
    "Don't tell me what I CAN'T DO!" -John Locke - 1956-2007

• Fortune Red Says....

Honestly now its gotten to the point that it doesn't even look believable whatsoever. I remember riding on that and getting sick from thinking it was really flying.. if they really cared about Disneyland and about the parks condition they would work out with Lucas again and redo the entire ride to coincide with the new Episode III coming out and if they were smart they would do three different "destinations" for the three different cabins. One would be the remastered original, and the other two "destinations" could be two other planets from the new movies.. its common sense to tie those in together.. I think they should keep on with the work with fixing the older rides and Star Tours should be next on the list in Tomorrowland to get the update!
    "Childishness? I think it's the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there's a certain something that you retain. It's the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can't laugh at others."
    ~Walt Disney

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345