Thread: Brer Turtle??

• Lowering Expectations

Brer Turtle??

Wow, I'm really good at criticizing little nitpicky things about Splash Mountain, aren't I? First that owl next to the photo preview at the end, and now this!

Well, first I should start with the Splash Mountain track on Disneyland's Official Album- the version from the 2001 CD and the one that is also on the 2-disk 50th one as well. There is a section of the "How Do 'ya Do?" song that goes something like this, right after Brer Rabbit and the Turtle have their sing:

"He's lookin' for a little more adventure, but he's headin' for a little bit of trouble, he's headin' for a little bit of danger, time to be turnin' around! Time to be turnin' around! Careful Brer Rabbit, better mend your ways, you're headed for trouble one of these days- warnin' Miss Rabbit, I'm afraid is a waste- he's headin' for the laughing place!"

Now after hearing this part of the song, naturally I looked for the animal that sings it in the attraction itself- but he's not there! The part of the ride that I strongly suggest once had the animal that sang the part is a den looking thing, right after Brer Rabbit and the Turtle, as you make a right hand turn and everyone looks up to see those cute little animals (that I don't know what they're called) up in the leaves above, before the bear's butt and the drop. The den has a cover over it (to hide the speaker that must have once played the character's singing) and next to it is a mailbox that I'm pretty certain says "Brer Turtle."

Does anyone know or remember this animal, if it was ever there? Did it get taken out because it was too close to the log and it got trashed by human hands (I believe this to be the culprit, but it's a guess), or is there another explanation? Whatever the case, after hearing all those animals singing their hearts out, giving us those "mighty pleasant greetings," that particular turn is very sing-less and boring.

It should be pointed out that 'Brer Turtle' not being there means no one is warning Brer Rabbit of the dangers of the laughing place! Also the song serves as foreshadowing to the story.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 07-23-2005 at 10:45 PM.

• Shubisha

Re: Brer Turtle??

The animal is a porcupine and he's in wdw's splash mountain. You can see him on disneyland's splash mountain at the entrance of zip-a-dee-doo-dah. He's banging on a shell drum. There's also a raccoon playing a harmonica that also accompanies him in how do ya do at wdw.

Just about every audio mix of disneyland's splash seems to include this part...and most seem to leave out the gator which is actually there. I'm not sure if it was originally in disneyland's, I'd have long forgotten. I have checked it out a few times recently and I can't hear that part. I've sort of heard faint traces of it but nothing solid... So as far as I can tell it's one big confusion on their part.

The only evidence that seems to suggest it might be in Disneyland's is that whenever it's included it's included as just his voice singing. In wdw's he's tapping the drum too. I know they can be 2 different sound files but given copies i've found of the clip it suggests the possibility exists. Also in wdw's he hits a high note and in the versions on Dland splash mixes he doesn't. But then again what's played in the disneyland mixes is the equivalent of the 2nd half of the sound file for wdw's verbatim. So if anyone works on the ride and knows, I'm interested to find out.

(in case you can't tell, this has bugged me for a while now and I've tried to look into it )
    Last edited by almandot; 07-22-2005 at 02:25 AM.

• CM for 4 years!

As far as I can tell, no one notices that the ride doesn't have much plot when you're on it. You're singing, then you go to a laughing place, then Brer Rabbit gets caught by the fox, then you go down a big hill into the briar patch, but then everything is ok and there's jubnilant chickens singing from the desk of a riverboat!

THe ride has little in the way of coherent plot. Mos tguests ride it to get wet, not for the story or complex anamatronics. :P
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Original Mice-Chatter

ahem- speaking of nitpicking- it's "warning THIS rabbit" not "warning MISS rabbit"

Brer Rabbit is male- not a miss.....

I am actually far sadder that the mothers lament and warning at the bottom before the big drop is not on the soundtrack.

• Social Imagineer

Yeah, that bit not being on any version of released Splash music is a big disappointment.

And, no, the "porcupine" that sings on practically every version of released Splash music was never part of the Disneyland original.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    ahem- speaking of nitpicking- it's "warning THIS rabbit" not "warning MISS rabbit"

Brer Rabbit is male- not a miss.....

I am actually far sadder that the mothers lament and warning at the bottom before the big drop is not on the soundtrack.
    Yeah, I noticed that too, I like what's on the box set, but I want what's IN the ride like I'm IN the ride...
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Banned User

maybe due to the fact WDW doesn't have it so they based the track on whats in both??

(I would love to have that part though.. As i only seen it once.)

perhaps the turtle went out for rolling rehab but got broken and never fixed??

• Iron-Clad Allie

Whether it's Brer Turtle or Brer Porcuplne that's supposed to warn Brer Rabbit, I would love to see that scene added to the ride in a noticeable fashiom.

• Shubisha

it's not a turtle. the turtle is singing with brer rabbit in their own part. in wdw, the turtle's replaced with mr. blue bird.

i can't help think "warnin this rabbit i'm afraid is the waste" was made afterwards because mother rabbit makes a reference to it too. (warning brer rabbit is wasting my breath) and wdw doesn't have that part.

Either way, we have the friendly alligator/the smilin crocodile and he's cooler =D

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    As long as we're getting nitpicky, he says "Careful br'er rabbit better MEND your ways" not bend. And as for the Miss... aren't they talking to his mother as in, "Warning Miss Rabbit, I'm afraid it's a waste (to tell him anything) He's heading for the laughing place (anyway)"
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!