Small Star Tours Change (Spoiler?)

Went on ST once yesterday (7/21), and the CM during preflight said we'd need the lap belts for when we were flying upside down!?! After a couple of guest comments ("How can you tell, in space?") the CM mentioned something about a change having been made. Sure enough, when approaching the Death Star, it looks like a single shot was replaced, not requiring a change in the simulation, but enhancing the effect of one of the banking maneuvers, and explaining the 'upside down' comment. I've been on the ride enough to think I would have remembered the shot if it had been there before.

Can anyone confirm the change? If so, might there have been other shots augmented/changed? (Perhaps the projection has recently been switched to DVD, giving them the opportunity to do this. (I didn't notice a change in the projection's quality, however.))

• OM NOM NOM

Re: Small Star Tours Change (Spoiler?)

Which shot are you talking about?
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I was just on Star Tours the other day, there have been no changes. You would notice because the old film has faded so baddly. Any new footage would stick out like a sore thumb.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

It could easily be that the CM's comments newly focused my attention on a shot that had always been there.

The shot has the Death Star partially showing at the top of the screen (filling about 20%(?) of the screen) before swinging offscreen, then around to the bottom. Thus the connection to the 'upside down' comment. It occurs between the distant Death Star shot and the surface approach.

The overall projection quality was still poor, but I wouldn't expect them to remaster the print if they made another copy. The shot's simplicity (only a bit of Death Star on a starfield) didn't stand out as better quality, but I didn't know what I might be looking for.

In case it was something that was only in the one theatre, I was in the cabin immediately to the right of the entry as you go into the final waiting area. I'll stop by a couple of times on my next jaunt.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

thats true

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I was just on Star Tours the other day, there have been no changes. You would notice because the old film has faded so baddly. Any new footage would stick out like a sore thumb.

• Rainicorn.

There haven't been any changes from what I remember on the 17th. That shot has always been there, I think; you tumble "upside down" when you get shot by the Empire Tie Fighters... R2-D2 has to stabilize the thrusters before you hit the Death Star.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i think the CM was just yanking your chain. i know one (*cough* EoM *cough*) who likes to tell guests to buckle their seat belts on the sunwheel before taking off to freak people out.
    <o>

• Who's your DaddyB?

They don't use film. They use laserdiscs.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Hooterville, USA

It's still one of the best rides there.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

The ride uses film. Laserdiscs may be used for the C3PO safety announcements in the cabin as well as whatever else shows up on that one screen to the right, and probably the sound as well.