• insufferable know-it-all

Armchair Imagineering Challenge

I know there was an attempt earlier to get a contest started that kinda fizzled, so let's take a different approach.

Below, I'll set some basic parameters for a new park. Within those parameters, you're going to imagineer the park, and post your ideas. There is no "end", and no "prize", just the personal challenge of creating a park within a set of designated parameters and fleshing it out.

Here goes:

This new park should be like Disneyland, but with all new lands. We'll stick to a Main Street equivalent plus 4 other main lands, and assume they all branch out from the hub.

It must have a castle or castle-equivalent. That is, while not necessarily a castle, it must be an appealing grand structure that acts as the gateway to one of the lands.

The other lands must have gateways, and they should be described.

Each land must have, at minimum, 3 attractions, 1 store, and 1 restaurant. The exception to this is the main street equivalent, which doesn't have to have attractions. You may have as many MORE of each as you feel like coming up with.

You must have 4 e-ticket quality attractions, but it doesn't have to be one per land. E-ticket can mean either high-thrill (space mtn) or high-quality (pirates). Please label the attractions fulfilling this requirement.

This park would theoretically be placed right next to Disneyland, so while you can have lands with similar components, you must be careful not to carbon-copy a theme. That is, it must be different enough that the two parks could exist side-by-side.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Re: Armchair Imagineering Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Here is another thread already devoted to this type of contest.
    Thanx Disneyphile. Unfortunately, TheBob's internet woes continue with no apparent end in sight. In short, the previous challenge is dead in the water, so Morigoon is basically taking command of it it seems, just to get things moving since it was a cool idea. You can bet I'm already thinking now, just need the time to plan it out though.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

I'll start:

Main Street has the feel of a provincial French walled town, complete with patisserie, cafe, cheese shops, a crepe stand, etc. Following the street down to the hub, you come to an area with a heavily wooded foresty feel (picture the "hub" Jack Skellington came to on his long walk). Off in each direction, beyond the thick stands of trees (providing blessed shade), you see each of the lands. Directly ahead, you see this parks "castle" - Beast's Castle, complete with scary basement dungeons and a fancy dining hall (like the Cinderella restaurant in Florida, only BatB themed!).

Beyond the castle is this park's equivalent of Fantasyland. It features C-tickets not found in the current Disneyland. One the left side, you have the Cinderella dark ride, where guests board "pumpkin coaches" (designed like the in-park wedding one so as to maximize viewing).

Next door to Cindy's place is the woodcutter's cottage from Sleeping Beauty, complete with stream and water wheel. Behind it, a grassy/woodsy hill obscuring a showbuilding containing two attractions. The first attraction it contains takes up just part of the bottom floor, and that is the Sleeping Beauty dark ride. Vehicles similar to those used in Snow White, but with a slightly more medieval flair would take guests through the attraction, seeing the Christening celebration, Maleficent's arrival, inside the jewelry box, inside the cottage (with fairies fighting over dress color), the forest where Aurora meets Phillip, etc.

Around the corner from the Sleeping Beauty dark ride is the first E-ticket: Forbidden Mountain. Once you round that corner, the area becomes much darker and scarier. Guests enter a queue that takes them up the “side of the mountain” (to the upper level of the showbuilding). At the drawbridge near the “top”, is the merge point for fastpasses (and also the elevator for disabled guests). Guests enter a dark building that feels very much like Maleficent’s mountain domain. They board a tubular-steel indoor rollercoaster that takes them through various scenes including her throne room, down through the firepit into the dungeons where Philip is chained, follows his escape, enters a grand space (two stories tall, where the SB dark ride ISN’T) and at first can only see the tangled mass of briars that the coaster is careening through, but as they get further along, they emerge into an open space, with Sleeping Beauty’s castle in the “distance” (forced perspective) and the whole thing guarded by a huge, advanced audio animatronic dragon, which the coaster finally whizzes by, and the coaster unloads to “once upon a dream”

On the other side is Cherry Tree Lane, the Mary Poppins attraction, which has an overhead track like Pan but which is mostly obscured by the umbrella the vehicle hangs from.

Continuing with the Cherry Tree theme, beyond Mary Poppins and slightly around the corner, the landscaping transitions to become more Asian. Here you find both the Mulan dark ride and a lovely Tea Garden (that also serves lemonade and coffee). Ride vehicles bear the resemblance of some of the ancestor ghosts and/or the great stone dragon.

Off beyond Mulan we find a large body of water and a Pirate ship. It’s not long before it becomes apparent that the island in this body of water is Neverland. That’s right, and Neverland follows the tradition of Tom Sawyer’s island as being a place to run around and explore, but more complete, including a mermaid lagoon complete with real live mermaids (available for photo opportunities), an Indian village that can be explored, the lost boys hideaway, etc.

Just across the water from Neverland (or a short walk around the curve of the water from Mulan) is a seaside town area. At one end, it features a building reminiscent of Prince Eric’s castle. This is where guests can board mini-ships that will take them and drop them on Neverland next to the Pirate Ship (restaurant). From Eric’s castle to Mulan the area looks a little more “pedestrian” and in fact takes on the feel of Passamaquoddy.

Passamaquoddy extends not directly toward Mulan, but more back toward the hub, and the whole New England seaside town feel is what the guest would get to from the hub, with a peek at the Pirate ship in the distance to draw them in (the “weenie”)

Back on the left hand side of the park, we left of at Forbidden Mountain, a transition from the Fantasyland-like section into the darker, more ominous villains-looking area. Mad Madam Mim’s Café is the place to eat here, carrying with it the feel of a neglected medieval stone hut. The villains area is not so much a land as a “town square”, and in fact, is not entirely peopled by villains. It’s more like a dark continuation of the Fantasyland area, the “wrong side of the tracks”, if you will.

Eventually the darkness starts to give way. The trees are still everywhere, but on them you spy colorful signs with strange statements. You’re in Wonderland! Wonderland encompasses an area all its own including a rose garden maze, a Walrus and the Carpenter water-based C-ticket with rowboats for ride vehicles. A gigantic Garden to walk through (Complete with interactive Caterpillar), the White Rabbit’s house (which would house a shop), etc.

That’s all I’ve got for now.

Edit: Okay, I've got more...

Branching off the villains area is a building that looks very much like a Viking stave church (like they have at Epcot). This is the entrance to a large showbuilding featuring a Pirates-style E-ticket attraction on Vikings, keeping the same lighthearted tone to it, but ending in a viking funeral (with burning boat, etc). One of the scenes includes a dungeon-ey jail, which also doubles as a fine dining restaurant for the villains area.
    Last edited by Morrigoon; 08-03-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Master of Disaster

ok just cause the kid in me would totally love it.

chagne fantasyland to midevil land: add an arena for jousting tournaments that occur throughout the day. short ones that are just tournaments not large produced shows like midevil times with good guy bad guy stuff. just a simple tournament. add in there a weapons store (a place to sell those lightsaber things ect) on the outside it would look like a midevil weapons store though. snow white, sleeping beauty dark ride, sword in the stone dark ride, beauty and the beast dark ride, themed outdoor vending with only a few stores (the heraldry and the weapons). perfect theming for turkey legs right!

ok tis just a start but expand on it. get those creative juices flowing.

• The one, the only...

Morrigoon has got it right. I am glad that you created the guidelines to "mimic" Disneyland. After all, it is a great park and there are many "tricks" that Walt did there that make the whole experience better.

I like your own personal vision too. There are so many variations on the "Disneyland" design. I am going to work on a "California" theme because I personally believe that it could have worked for DCA.

But there are many others that could be done too.

I will report back after I have worked out some details.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

My plans aren't as descriptive as they should be because, well, I'm tired and it's been a LONG day (sorry Goonie, you can spank me next time you see me for not following orders ). But I wanted to share my idea.

My park is called Disney's SPACE, an entire theme park dedicated to the past, present, future and whimsical aspects of space travel and beyond.

"Main Street" would be as if you were walking down the street of a "Main Street" from a planet inhabited by humans that have ventured off to a far off galaxy to explore the universe, complete with space themed stores and cafes and such. And instead of horse drawn buggies and early 1900 cars, there'd be some funky transport system to take guests from the entry plaza to the hub.

The "castle" would be a kinetic solar system sculpture with the sun at the center and the planets and such spinning around it with a dark ride underneath (think of the sculpture being built on top of a building, with rock-like formations surrounding the building to hide it with the sculpture on top) that would tour our solar system and visit the planets and moons etc. An informative and fun attraction!

To the left of the hub would be a land dedicated to say, pre 20th century visions of space travel (not all Jules Verne but some). There could be an ancient Chinese section with a possible "space shot" ride themed to the emperors chair with rockets underneath it that is said to have blasted him into orbit. A Jules Verne section with a "trip to the Moon" roller coaster, and a Greek section with an Orions Belt spinner ride and maybe some attractions for children and families to enjoy dedicated to the constellations.

Behind the hub and through the solar system would be current and future space travel. There could be Mission:Space located here. An indoor roller coaster-type ride called Space Race which would be a twin racer coaster with one side being Apollo and the other being Soyuz with themed cue lines dedicated to each country. An updated "Horizons" from EPCOT could be here too with visions of life in the future where space travel is the norm.

To the right of the hub, would be a land with an alien theme. It could be an intergalactic spaceport with alien face characters walking around interacting with the guests. Alien Encounter (the original scary one) would be here, a Stitch dark ride, and maybe some water ride themed to an alien planet (i.e. you get transported to this planet and ride this water ride).

Anyway, these are some of my ideas.

No spankings for you, good ideas all!

• Animatronic

Lightbulb Re: Armchair Imagineering Challenge

As I think about it, Disneyland covers almost everything related to Europe and North America since the 17th century and even has Dinosaurs! It's hard to come up with something that wouldn't already work in Disneyland.

Here I go, minus a few rides, but it's the theme that counts...

Disney's Ancient World would open with Ancient Rome. A side street called Pompeii steet would have periodic rumblings and about where the opera house is now would be The Olympia Temple with the great statue of Zeus inside and a show on how the greek and roman gods were worshipped and marketed in ancient times. At the entrance to Rome Street would be the Colosus of Rhodes spanning the waterways through which the Viking explorer ships would travel around the rest of the known world (park). The stores would be themed with Roman trade from around the ancient world. The Rome street Viking ship loading area would be themed to a Roman port for trade. At the end of Ancient Rome street would a temple hub leading to the different lands.

The straight ahead land would have giant gates to Ancient Egypt and towering above them would a giant pyramid enclosing an Egyptian trip to the afterlife in the form of a dark coaster. A long stone street lined with columns would make the view quite dramatic.

In place of Frontierland would be gates to beyond the last Roman outpost. Vikings and other "less civilized" ancient cultures would reside here. It would even be fine to have a ride focused on the origins of man.

In place of Tomorrow Land would be Babylon and it's Hanging Gardens and waterfalls. Babylon would be the center of live entertainment.

Each main land would have a viking ship trading post (stop), thus allowing the vikings to effectively connect the lands.
    Last edited by Lore; 08-04-2005 at 11:39 PM.