Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Disneyland Fan

Smile Re: Autumn in the Parks and a Few Photos

Wow, those were spectacular photos Armadillo4, especially the dark ride photos.
    You're obviously getting great use of your nice camera.
    Try for some other dark ride photos, yours were the best I've ever seen!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice day,
    Robert - rj1980

• living to haunt

Re: Autumn in the Parks and a Few Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Armadillo can correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at his photos as hosted on flickr, I believe that the answer is:

50mm 1.8 lens + 1600 iso + 1/50 second shutter speed + the awesome sensor of the Canon Rebel XTi = awesome no flash dark ride shots!
    Wow that is great! I have never seen dark ride shots so clear and bright! The color is amazing! Maybe I need to change cameras!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    Thanks Frogberto! You've got it all correct.

Digital SLRs definitely help get better dark ride photos, but all is not lost if you have a point-and-shoot with manual controls. Set your ISO as high as you can (e.g. 400 or 800) and try setting your shutter speed fairly slow--e.g. anywhere from 1/50 or slower. Before I got the Rebel XTi, I had a point-and-shoot with manual controls and had some luck with dark ride photos. Of course, if Santa is able to get you a new camera for Christmas, that wouldn't be a bad option either. LOL!
    OK I have a digital SLR the Pentax istD and I love it. But I still can't get shots like yours. I have a 18 to 200 zoom on it, I wonder if a fixed lens would be better? OK, got to go shopping before the vacation...honey the visa please...
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Dreaming of Pirates!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and for looking at this thread. It's greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post
    OK I have a digital SLR the Pentax istD and I love it. But I still can't get shots like yours. I have a 18 to 200 zoom on it, I wonder if a fixed lens would be better? OK, got to go shopping before the vacation...honey the visa please...
    ladydragon55, most of my dark ride shots are lucky. For every 1 good photo posted here, there are probably 5 or 6 that didn't come out. That being said, I'm guessing that the 18-200 lens isn't quite fast enough for low-light shots (although its a terrific walkaround lens). The 18-200 that I saw for the Pentax was f3.5-6.3. Shopping can be fun! Give that Visa a some exercise. Try to get a lens that's f1.4 or f1.8. if you can. I think I saw that the*istD looks like it goes up to ISO 3200, so definitely bump your ISO to that and give it a whirl.

• living to haunt

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and for looking at this thread. It's greatly appreciated!
    ladydragon55, most of my dark ride shots are lucky. For every 1 good photo posted here, there are probably 5 or 6 that didn't come out. That being said, I'm guessing that the 18-200 lens isn't quite fast enough for low-light shots (although its a terrific walkaround lens). The 18-200 that I saw for the Pentax was f3.5-6.3. Shopping can be fun! Give that Visa a some exercise. Try to get a lens that's f1.4 or f1.8. if you can. I think I saw that the*istD looks like it goes up to ISO 3200, so definitely bump your ISO to that and give it a whirl.
    Thanks for the help! I did potrait and wedding photography for 15 years, and I hated putting down the old SLR for this new one. I used to get great shots with the old fashion have to do it yourself camera. You have the F stops right on the zoom. I think I will check out a fixed lens with a better F stop. Warning. the 3200 ISO setting if you crop your picture at all becomes grainy. I know that is for film, pixilated (is that a word?) So I try to stay at a ISO of 1600. I am thinking about taking the old SLR next week and going a day with just that and see what it does! Thank you for your help and for your research! I guess a auto camera does not mean remembering the old school stuff! Your photos are GREAT!
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Dreaming of Pirates!

• Rest In Peace, Old Friend

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Autumn in the Parks and a Few Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post

It's my friend, "Carpet!" Gotta love her!!
    Do you say that everytime?

*Cough* ITS MICAH!!!!!!!
    lol
    anyway, GREAT SHOTS!

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Beautiful pictures... thanks so much for sharing!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Wow, this thread came back to life! Thanks disneyguy115 and haunted_hottie for the comments! They're much appreciated.

I think I've got enough material to start a new photo thread later this weekend. I just need my lazy self off the couch and upload them to Flickr. LOL!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234