Smile DCA's newest icon already built in another Disney park

The new landmark Disney Imagineers are planning for the sunshine plaza at the end of DCA's "mainstreet", to act more or less the same as the castle acts for Disneyland, is already featured and used at a different Disney theme park.

And you're guessing right, it's in the soon to be Disney's Hollywood Studios.

The Carthay Circle Theater is a store located on Sunset Boulevard, and it is actually the last building on the right before the Hollywoodland gate (Tower of Terror).

The one in Florida is actually a modified and scaled down version, yet unlike many other Hollywood inspired landmarks in the park, it is a very close replica and it also bears the name and signage of the source.

Obviusly the one in DCA will be in full scale and much more impressive, with special lighting and of course searchlights!

Interesting

Werner Weiss, I guess you can now add it to the very nice comparison page you posted a week ago!
    Dr. Bitz

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: DCA's newest icon already built in another Disney park

I think everybody already knew this.

Also, I wouldn't count on the search lights being at DCA's Carthay Theatre. The searchlights were most likely just featured in the concept art to evoke emotion and theme.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Yes, yes it was......
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Mickey is not my Brother

I think the new on in DCA will be larger though more to scale

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Thanks Dr. Bitz. Very interesting! I have a feeling that DCA will be very reminiscent of Disney-MGM in Florida. Perhaps a new and improved version?

Master Gracey, I don't necessarily think that everyone is aware of the other Carthay building - especially if they haven't been to WDW.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bitz View Post
    While to many this is old news, to me it was brand new. I have never personally been to WDW. I can't say I am shocked... this has been the typical Disney mentality for some time "Well it works in Florida". I did want to repost the picture though. I LOVE the classic car (my guess would be a 38 or 39 Caddy series 60 however this isn't a great shot of the car). I think that they could greatly improve the atmosphere of Hollywood Backlot simply by adding a few of these beautiful machines!

If they were looking for a specific "Welcome to Los Angeles" comment why not the old City Hall Building? or any number of other locally famous historic buildings?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    While to many this is old news, to me it was brand new. I have never personally been to WDW. I can't say I am shocked... this has been the typical Disney mentality for some time "Well it works in Florida". I did want to repost the picture though. I LOVE the classic car (my guess would be a 38 or 39 Caddy series 60 however this isn't a great shot of the car). I think that they could greatly improve the atmosphere of Hollywood Backlot simply by adding a few of these beautiful machines!

If they were looking for a specific "Welcome to Los Angeles" comment why not the old City Hall Building? or any number of other locally famous historic buildings?
    News to me too. So please don't just assume that everyone knows this!

I love the car as well. A few down the street where the Animation building is would look great!

Thumbs up Re: DCA's newest icon already built in another Disney park

It's also news to me to! Thank you for the info Dr. Bitz, it'll be interesting to see DCA's 'version' of this theme.

Don't listen to ego filled people who will always post "Everyone already knew! this is OLD news!".
    -Wes

The Chinese Theater in the center of MGM has searchlights - Why wouldn't DCA have?

And Techskip, the sad thing is that this picture is from around the opening of Sunset Boulevard, now the car is no more there. There used to be many cars like this scattered around the park, for example in the beginning of Sunset, in the middle of Hollywood Boulevard and so. I reckon the only ones left now are the ones just after the entrance, and near the Legends of Hollywood store. (Sorry, I guess the location names tell you nothing if you haven't been to the park. Well, all in good time )
    Dr. Bitz

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bitz View Post
    The Chinese Theater in the center of MGM has searchlights - Why wouldn't DCA have?

And Techskip, the sad thing is that this picture is from around the opening of Sunset Boulevard, now the car is no more there. There used to be many cars like this scattered around the park, for example in the beginning of Sunset, in the middle of Hollywood Boulevard and so. I reckon the only ones left now are the ones just after the entrance, and near the Legends of Hollywood store. (Sorry, I guess the location names tell you nothing if you haven't been to the park. Well, all in good time )
    I've been there but the names mean nothing to me anyway.

I think that if it'll be a main part in DCA and if they want to DCA 'right' then it'll have searchlights. They don't want the 'new' DCA to utterly fail.

• Count

I think the searchlights will be present at Carthay. The size and effect will make it a great entry,
    "It was worth it if you learned something."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here's what it looked like a month ago. And I'm pretty sure that the DCA version will be a lot nicer than this smaller scaled "store."

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html