Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Trees: The Grove -vs- Disneyland

A tale of two trees----here's the Grove's 110 ft Christmas tree:

And, Disneyland's Tree which is much smaller and thinner:

My Observations, not having seen Disneyland's in person----I have actually gone to see the Grove's though, but at night----

The Grove's Tree is huge! It takes a couple of minutes just to walk around the whole thing---well, maybe just one minute, but it's much much thicker at the base.

The Grove's is much more monochromatic. They've only got red, gold, and a little bit of silver ornaments. Disneyland has blue ornaments on their tree.

The Grove's also has lights that blink on and off intermittently. I don't know if Disneyland's lights to that.

One thing I like is Disneyland's ornaments are more varied, with instruments, toy soldiers, etc...

But the Grove is a high-fashion shopping center, so perhaps the monochrome, plain-style ornaments fit-in better with that type of venue?

Re: Big Trees: The Grove -vs- Disneyland

You fail to take into account scale, sir.
    A 115 foot tree is taller than the castle.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I don't remember there being blinking lights on last year's Christmas tree at Disneyland. What I like about the varied ornamentation is that it makes the Main Street tree look like it was decorated by family and friends in the true spirit of Christmas - rather than the uninspiring product of a professional designer.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-23-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I agree, RW. It looks like The Grove's tree people cheated and hung garlands of ornaments, instead of the mis-matched look of Disneyland's. Theirs is too perfect looking to my eye.
    A signature should go here.

Yes yes yes, Main Street's appears to have more warmth. But the Grove's is glamorous.

I just saw a picture of Fashion Island's, which is also 110 ft---I think. Fashion Island has just about the same color scheme as The Grove, using only red, gold, and a hint of silver ornaments.

I guess once you get over 70 ft.....only a certain color scheme will work ???

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    I agree, RW. It looks like The Grove's tree people cheated and hung garlands of ornaments, instead of the mis-matched look of Disneyland's. Theirs is too perfect looking to my eye.
    Well, it wasn't perfect in the beginning:

Yikes!

Unlike Disneyland's which was hidden while being decorated, the Grove wasn't afraid to let-it-all-hang-out, and show the different stages of preparation.

And yes, I can vouch for the fact that virtually all the lower half of The Grove's tree.....is fake branches.

Disneylands added-on branches might be real.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    Well, it wasn't perfect in the beginning:

Yikes!

Unlike Disneyland's which was hidden while being decorated, the Grove wasn't afraid to let-it-all-hang-out, and show the different stages of preparation.

And yes, I can vouch for the fact that virtually all the lower half of The Grove's tree.....is fake branches.

I'll have to check the lower branches of the Disneyland tree next time that i am there. It would be so cool if they do turn out to be real.

• Banned User

How long have they been putting up the current tree at Disneyland?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Perfectionism is unnecesary - and can be quite cold. The French have a saying that true perfection can never be achieved in the abcense of a little imperfection.

Ok. I forgot exactly how they phrased it, so I created my own saying in line with the spirit of theirs.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-23-2007 at 01:40 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Yes yes yes, Main Street's appears to have more warmth. But the Grove's is glamorous.

I just saw a picture of Fashion Island's, which is also 110 ft---I think. Fashion Island has just about the same color scheme as The Grove, using only red, gold, and a hint of silver ornaments.

I guess once you get over 70 ft.....only a certain color scheme will work ???
    I was just going to mention Fashion Island as having a 100 foot plus tree.

Yikes!

Prep for the Fashion Island tree as well was prepped in stages out in the open. I don't know if there are any fake branches on it or not. Probably there are.

Interesting that Disneyland tried to decorate the tree backstage but left the castle exposed for everyone to see what was going on.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Perfectionism is unnecesary - and can be quite cold. The French have a saying that true perfection can never be achieved in the abcense of a little imperfection.

Ok. I forgot exactly how the phrased it, so I created my own saying in line with the spirit of theirs.

Perfection is overrated anyway.
    A signature should go here.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    I don't know that this year's tree is the same one as last year. Don't know how far back that their has been a tree in place at the beginning of main Street either. Since it is located in line with Walt's apartment, i have a feeling thatthere has been a tree there ever since the 50s or 60s when Walt was alive.

Walt not only enjoyed making people happy, he delighted in watching his Disneyland guests in the act of merrinent.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Perfection is overrated anyway.
    Right on!

• Former Cast Member

[quote=Pisces;2354633]
    The Grove's also has lights that blink on and off intermittently. I don't know if Disneyland's lights to that.
    quote]

The problem with blinking lights and pictures is that if a group of lights in one section of the tree is off when you flash your picture, the tree looks odd. For pictures (tourists and micechatters especially) it is somewhat better to have lights always on so that a few years down the road, you will remember the tree being lit rather than partially lit.

There previously were white (fake) christmas trees in the moat in front of the castle and I took some pictures. In a couple of my pictures it appears that the second 1/3 of the tree was not lit. It makes the picture look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Since this year... it's a real tree people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast