Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Whoever cares: some Observatron news

News from MouseTimes is that the Observatron is up and running every 15 minutes once again.

See the 50th logo in the air??

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Whoever cares: some Observatron news

*whispers*
    What's the Observatron?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

I give you the Observatron:

• Basking in birthday love

It's better than having it sit still. It was actually pretty cool when it moved, but it looks horrible just sitting up there dead. I wonder if they'll put the bit about it "coming to life every 15 minutes" back in the Monorail spiel?

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Feeling A Bit Oogie

One final run before they tear it down? *coughIhopesocough*
    ~Ah, the wonderful sight of the fabled Apocalypse. Now appearing in Disney's Toontown!~

• They wanna know, HO!

Nice to see it back, lets just hope they paint it like the new color scheme, add some effects to it, and then call it a day.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Banned User

I found a video of it in action. This must be from either 1998 or 1999 because the Rocket Rods were in action right underneath it and you can hear their screams has they take off and slow down. Just click on 'Observatron':

http://intercotwest.com/gallery/mTomorrowland.asp

• Minion

I have to say, I think that this is fantastic news. No, it's not that I think the Observatron itself is so great, but whats fantastic is that somebody (Ouimet, I hope) cares enough to make sure that even little things like this are up and running. No more dead space for Disneyland!

• Shubisha

Woo the same annoying spin music over and over making you wish something you could do was up there. All you need now is the rocket rods whiz noise and you'll have your space mountain queue music circa 1999 while you wait in line upstairs

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Ugly.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I have to say, I think that this is fantastic news. No, it's not that I think the Observatron itself is so great, but whats fantastic is that somebody (Ouimet, I hope) cares enough to make sure that even little things like this are up and running. No more dead space for Disneyland!
    Oh yeah! Up and running it IS! And yesterday during the fireworks it started to go off right at the end of them.. during the Star Tours segment. So the fireworks audio cut out so that you could hear SPACE JUNK do it's thing. SO not cool. Good thing it came back in time for the ending.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Oh yeah! Up and running it IS! And yesterday during the fireworks it started to go off right at the end of them.. during the Star Tours segment. So the fireworks audio cut out so that you could hear SPACE JUNK do it's thing. SO not cool. Good thing it came back in time for the ending.

haha. I wondered if during Remember they'd integrate the observatron into the tomorrowland segment but they never fixed it. Now that they did fix it, it's even funnier that it actually cut off remember

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    haha. I wondered if during Remember they'd integrate the observatron into the tomorrowland segment but they never fixed it. Now that they did fix it, it's even funnier that it actually cut off remember
    Yeah, but I just feel bad for those who were trying to watch and listen to the fireworks. If it was so simple to turn it on you would think they could turn it off when they needed to also. Maybe the idea is that they are getting it going since people are actually inside Tomorrowland again and there has been so much attention back by Space.

• Minion

A functioning Observatron wouldn't be so bad .. if they only repainted it to blend in with the rest of TL's latest paint job.

I'm hoping Al's earlier update holds up ... and Observatron bites the dust ... as Peoplemover 2.0 and Rocket Jets 2.0 get approved.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    *whispers*
    What's the Observatron?
    The benign "Disney Press Release" version of the story:
    The Observatron is a kinetic sculpture that was part of the 1998 renovation to Tomorrowland. In it's original concept ... it was to light up the sky at night .. and be a real eye catcher ... as this "satelite" reaches through the cosmos ..looking to communicate with other worlds.

The real story:
    Disney looked for every possible way to make the 1998 Tomorrowland renovation be built as cheaply as possible. A renovated Rocket Jets in the form of Paris' "Orbitron" was too heavy for the old 1967 Rocket Jets pylon. A rebuilding of that 2-tier station would have required money they did not want to spend. So Rocket Jets/Astro Orbitor got placed down toward the front of the land, and has since entertained guests .. ala "Dumbo" style. With this in mind - What do they to the old Rocket Jets site? Throw a kinetic sculpture .. and come up with some story to fit it in.

The interesting bit of trivia here ....

The original 1956 Astro Jets mechanism was redesigned into the 1967 Rocket Jets .... and that same 1956 mechanism was reconditioned again to be the satellite dish it is today - In the form as "Observatron".

So .. every time you look up there .. realize you're looking at a piece of equipment that is 49 years old.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast