Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Superstar Limo Video

Limo closed probably due to budget cuts and low popularity.

RIP Superstar Limo, with a grand total of 11 months of operation: February 2001 - January 2002...

(No, I don't like Limo, although I'm not thrilled with Monsters either)

• For old time sake

i get the error message as well
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

that was really bad. Whoopi Goldburg? AHhhh. I know monsters may seem bad, but it will be WAY WAY WAY better than this crap. I feel bad for WDI. this is truly one of their low points....

• For old time sake

Ok, I finally saw it...um....what the HECK WERE THEY THINKING? That was awful. I want my 3 mins and 33 seconds back please
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Senior Minion

Im so Glad I did not ride this, What a waste.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Where Schemes Come True!

I actually do remember riding it back when it was open...and well...what more must be said?
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• far, far away from DL

I can't believe Disney would spend money on a ride that bad. What where they thinking when they build that ride? YUCK!

Sabrina

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

OK, I know I'm totally outnumbered on this, so please don't me!

A lot of people are judging this ride based on a home video and negative word of mouth. How many attractions actually look all that impressive on home video? I know the things I've taped sure don't. But it's the memory of those attractions that makes the vidoe bearable.

Superstar Limo wasn't a great attraction. But it wasn't nearly as horrible as a lot of people think. (And I know I'm going up against Al with this opinion since he was one of the most relentless attackers of Superstar Limo.) It was on par with the Fantasyland dark rides as far as the technical aspects go. And as for the story, well, it was supposed to be cheesy and wacky and all. It wasn't supposed to be serious or realistic.

I'll admit that the choice of then-current ABC stars is quite embarassing today, and that would definitly be a problem if the attraction were still running.

But as I watched the video, I remembered how wacky and kinetic the attraction was. It was just plain silly and fun. I liked it. Yes, I'll admit that I liked Superstar Limo. It was in the Hollywood Backlot area and it actually supported the theme of the area unlike most of the attractions that are currently running. It was really "Hollywood" in all it's cheese factor glory.

Is it good that Monsters is going in? Maybe. Probably. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But Monsters doesn't really have anything to do with Hollywood except that it's a movie.

Should Superstar Limo have been closed for the last couple of years? I don't think so, especially not with the Ghost Town atmosphere at DCA. It wasn't the best thing DCA had to offer, but at least it wasn't another cloned attraction. It was something new, something unique, and truly California.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• DL Dad

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Limo closed probably due to budget cuts and low popularity.
    Actually from what I remember it was closed because of Princess Di's death. During the ride you are avoiding the paparazzi - not good to have a ride that made light of this.

We actually got to ride this and I have to agree with MickeyJCA -- we liked it. The ride had a lot of the classic DL feel (neon paint, AA etc..). It was a neat experience.

-al

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    Superstar Limo was the first official casualty of Negative Internet Buzz for a Disney attraction...
    Would Light Magic be considered an "attraction"? Maybe a show, or parade-like show.
    I think "Steps in Time" closed much quicker than SSL. Again more a show than an attraction.

SSL was more a victim (or symptom or result?) of the PowerPoint presentation that DarkBeer has mentioned and quoted.

SSL was bad. Why? A few reasons:
    1. There exists the technology to create AAs. There are some across the way in various attractions. it's not as they're nearly extinct -- "the last remaining AAs on the planet." Maybe the Imagineers who created them are now extinct. But the blueprints are surely somewhere.
    2. Timeless attractions normally do not include current-event personalities. And, yes, it should be a goal to have attractions withstand the forces of time.
    3. The attraction was first built assuming the speed of the limos was a lot faster. I.e., you're being chased by paparazzi at every turn. At a faster speed, the lameness of the cutouts would not have been as noticeable. But, when Princess Di was killed in a limo crash (1999?) while being chased by paparazzi, well, someone decided it would be in poor taste to have an attraction that mimicked (even if unintentionally) such a tragic event. (So, it wasn't closed due to the death of Di, but it was radically altered. Jim Hill is the source of this, although I know how some of you feel about that.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• DL Dad

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    3. The attraction was first built assuming the speed of the limos was a lot faster. I.e., you're being chased by paparazzi at every turn. At a faster speed, the lameness of the cutouts would not have been as noticeable. But, when Princess Di was killed in a limo crash (1999?) while being chased by paparazzi, well, someone decided it would be in poor taste to have an attraction that mimicked (even if unintentionally) such a tragic event. (So, it wasn't closed due to the death of Di, but it was radically altered. Jim Hill is the source of this, although I know how some of you feel about that.)
    That's right! Thanks for the clarification. It's been a while.

I do agree that having "current" stars isn't a good idea. Heck, most of them are "out of date" now.

-al

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlH
    I do agree that having "current" stars isn't a good idea. Heck, most of them are "out of date" now.
    Some of them were out of date when SSL opened. Yes, that's how lame this attraction was.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Where Schemes Come True!

I still am trying to figure out how you were able to film the ride...don't they usually frown on that?
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DiRTyBuNNy
    I still am trying to figure out how you were able to film the ride...don't they usually frown on that?
    The frowning comes from having to stop the ride because someone dropped their camera, due to the strong forces that the ride creates. Like on Screamin' or Space. None of that here.
    frowning also comes from cameras equipped with strong lighting capabilities, which ruin the ride for others as well as not providing a quality recording of the ride (it's supposed to be dark in POTC in some sections, there is glass in the HM for show reasons, etc.).

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    SSL was bad. Why? A few reasons:
    1. There exists the technology to create AAs. There are some across the way in various attractions. it's not as they're nearly extinct -- "the last remaining AAs on the planet." Maybe the Imagineers who created them are now extinct. But the blueprints are surely somewhere.
    2. Timeless attractions normally do not include current-event personalities. And, yes, it should be a goal to have attractions withstand the forces of time.
    I'm not going to argue that Superstar Limo wasn't a great ride. It wasn't. I just don't think it was as bad as it's increasingly infamous reputation would lead people to believe. It had some major problems. But it was still a zany, wacky, fun attraction that was no better or worse than other dark rides.

I do understand the whole Princess Diana thing. But with all due respect to Jim Hill (who I read everyday), I don't buy into the whole "this is how it was supposed to be" mindset. Superstar Limo was what it was. Maybe it was supposed to be something different, but that's not what it was. I don't believe in judging an attraction (or whatever) based on anything other than what it is.

"The Disneyland that never was"... who cares?!?!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast