Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    • Don't lets be silly! șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Passamaquoddy
    Posts
    1,465

    Talking Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    With winter heading in hard, it got me thinking about summer (mostly because I'm not a fan of the cold). For us that work in Education, our pay is low, but our summers are off. I was thinking of heading down to Southern California and looking at becoming one of the many summertime Disneyland Cast Members.
    Now the reason I'm thinking about this so very early (apart from the cold) is because as people in Education know, you can't leave your summers unplanned. The sooner you figure out what to do, the better off you'll be.

    Though I have a few dilemma when it comes to playing with the mouse, inside the wonderful dream that is Disneyland. I'm in hopes that it won't damage the illusion of dream (though a few guests do that for me at times in the park) for the future; or even the present. I would hate to become one of those people who nitpicks the park to death (we all know one or two =P). The other thing is I have a vision of Walt's Disneyland, which my be very differently run on the inside then that which we see on the outside (cast member "playtime" and "happy Micky funtime hour").

    What would you do? Any "constructive" thoughts welcome!

  2. #2

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    I love working at the parks so I would totally tell you to do it. Does some of the magic get ruined? Of course. For some reason though when I'm in the park as a guest I never think about all of the action going on backstage. So if your worried about the magic of Disneyland being ruined because all of a sudden you see the backside of Space Mountaine everyday, don't be. It can only be ruined if you let it be ruined in your own mind. Same with the nitpickers. If your looking for a problem pretty soon you will find it.

    As for having a different vision of Disneyland. Thats perfectly ok. Disney, naturally does things differently and in many ways diffrently than how you would do things, but the bottom line is that you are working at Disneyland! You, for just a single summer, year, or even longer are going to have the opportunity to help make someones day at the happiest place on earth even that more special -- thats an opportunity I myself would not pass up!
    Class of 2005...

  3. #3

    • Make it Cool
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Historic Core
    Posts
    750

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    I love working at the parks so I would totally tell you to do it. Does some of the magic get ruined? Of course. For some reason though when I'm in the park as a guest I never think about all of the action going on backstage. So if your worried about the magic of Disneyland being ruined because all of a sudden you see the backside of Space Mountaine everyday, don't be. It can only be ruined if you let it be ruined in your own mind. Same with the nitpickers. If your looking for a problem pretty soon you will find it.

    As for having a different vision of Disneyland. Thats perfectly ok. Disney, naturally does things differently and in many ways diffrently than how you would do things, but the bottom line is that you are working at Disneyland! You, for just a single summer, year, or even longer are going to have the opportunity to help make someones day at the happiest place on earth even that more special -- thats an opportunity I myself would not pass up!
    I've never been a CM, but that's excellent advice overall. I've been working in TV and Film post production in an ever-increasing capacity for over 10 years now, and I still go see movies at least once a week. And you know what? I'm a lot easier to please than a lot of my friends who aren't in the business. I still like being entertained. I think a lot of it has to do with the experience being what you make it. If you WANT to be there, you'll probably have a good time and good memories. Unfortunately there are still a lot of people who work there for "just a job." Those are probably the ones that are miserable and are LETTING the magic be ruined, if there was any for them in the first place.

  4. #4

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    I've never been a CM, but that's excellent advice overall. I've been working in TV and Film post production in an ever-increasing capacity for over 10 years now, and I still go see movies at least once a week. And you know what? I'm a lot easier to please than a lot of my friends who aren't in the business. I still like being entertained. I think a lot of it has to do with the experience being what you make it. If you WANT to be there, you'll probably have a good time and good memories. Unfortunately there are still a lot of people who work there for "just a job." Those are probably the ones that are miserable and are LETTING the magic be ruined, if there was any for them in the first place.
    Ooooooo! The film post production business. Now I'm uber interested in your job composerboy! lol!

    I like how you say you still like being entertained, because at the end of the day that is what its all about. I love entertainment. I love being part of it and experiencing it. And its totally possible to tell who is just doing something for a 'job' and who truly loves waking up each and every day to go to work. Its more fun to be like the latter!
    Class of 2005...

  5. #5

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    104

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    If you view Disneyland as a "human trap" as you refer to it in the title to your thread then you are already jaded and should not consider working there.

  6. #6

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    933

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by mac81962 View Post
    If you view Disneyland as a "human trap" as you refer to it in the title to your thread then you are already jaded and should not consider working there.

    I think the title is intended to be a joke and an attention getter so that people will read the thread.

    Obviously it worked.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    my thought on the matter is this: if you are upset on(or about) your job, then find ways,constructive ways to improve the problems that are popping up. go to your cast lead(or any cast lead). talk to all other resort management(including pres. Grier if you can find him). if all else fails, contact the disney company directly and talk to the h.r. department.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    186

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    It's a really fun place to work and none of the magic was ruined for me being able to go back stage.In fact the magic has gotten much stronger for me.

  9. #9

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    212

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    I wasn't a frequent visitor to DL before I got hired here. But since becoming a CM last February, not only has the magic NOT gone from this place, at least for me, it's gotten better. I can't imagine coming to work and not being able to "make magic" each day.

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    933

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    my thought on the matter is this: if you are upset on(or about) your job, then find ways,constructive ways to improve the problems that are popping up. go to your cast lead(or any cast lead). talk to all other resort management(including pres. Grier if you can find him). if all else fails, contact the disney company directly and talk to the h.r. department.
    Again, obviously reaidng the entire OP. They're asking about whether they should apply as a part time CM for summer. There is no issue to talk to anyone "above them" yet.

  11. #11

    • Hooterville, USA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Haney House
    Posts
    10,162

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Working at DL will be whatever you make of it.

    Will the magic fade? Did your teaching magic fade after you became a teacher?

    You'll be ok, and maybe you'll make it as a great CM thread on Micechat.

    I'm pulling for you.


    This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,891

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    With winter heading in hard, it got me thinking about summer (mostly because I'm not a fan of the cold). For us that work in Education, our pay is low, but our summers are off. I was thinking of heading down to Southern California and looking at becoming one of the many summertime Disneyland Cast Members.
    Now the reason I'm thinking about this so very early (apart from the cold) is because as people in Education know, you can't leave your summers unplanned. The sooner you figure out what to do, the better off you'll be.

    Though I have a few dilemma when it comes to playing with the mouse, inside the wonderful dream that is Disneyland. I'm in hopes that it won't damage the illusion of dream (though a few guests do that for me at times in the park) for the future; or even the present. I would hate to become one of those people who nitpicks the park to death (we all know one or two =P). The other thing is I have a vision of Walt's Disneyland, which my be very differently run on the inside then that which we see on the outside (cast member "playtime" and "happy Micky funtime hour").

    What would you do? Any "constructive" thoughts welcome!
    It will be less than you expect.

    Behind the over-promoted image is a job and hard work.

    Depending on where you work it will be hot during the summer.

    You will work long hours for relatively little pay.

    You will work with some people who have bad attitudes and lousy work-ethics.

    You will work for some leads and managers who are self-serving a**holes.

    But there are also warm wonderful people you will meet and there are rewards to be found amongst all the hassles and frustrations.

    Kinda depends on what you are going there for and what you are willing to settle for.

  13. #13

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Also you can work at the DISNEYLAND RESORT like in the hotels or restaurants, and not have to work IN THE PARK. That way the parks are still playgrounds. If I were an outofstate teacher I'd probably work a summer there as a waiter at Steakhouse 55 for fun.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    386

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    It will be less than you expect.

    Behind the over-promoted image is a job and hard work.

    Depending on where you work it will be hot during the summer.

    You will work long hours for relatively little pay.

    You will work with some people who have bad attitudes and lousy work-ethics.

    You will work for some leads and managers who are self-serving a**holes.

    But there are also warm wonderful people you will meet and there are rewards to be found amongst all the hassles and frustrations.

    Kinda depends on what you are going there for and what you are willing to settle for.
    Well said - in a nutshell, keep perspective. Remember, you are going into an entry-level, hourly job and your peers will be teenagers in their first job. Don't take it too seriously, have fun with it, meet people, and then go back to your regular job. If pay is any kind of issue, then this type of job is obviously not for you (nor would any other entry level, hourly job be).

    Have fun....

  15. #15

    • Down Pluto!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,238

    Re: Working in the human trap built by the mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    It will be less than you expect.

    Behind the over-promoted image is a job and hard work.

    Depending on where you work it will be hot during the summer.

    You will work long hours for relatively little pay.

    You will work with some people who have bad attitudes and lousy work-ethics.

    You will work for some leads and managers who are self-serving a**holes.

    But there are also warm wonderful people you will meet and there are rewards to be found amongst all the hassles and frustrations.

    Kinda depends on what you are going there for and what you are willing to settle for.
    Sounds like a lot of jobs I've had...







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 11/15: Mouse Trap
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
  2. Mickey Mouse working for Hamas?
    By paulthespecialist in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
  3. Mickey Mouse working for Hamas?
    By paulthespecialist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
  4. The Mouse Trap!
    By merlinjones in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
  5. Disney's better Internet Mouse trap - CNN/Money 10/27/06
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •