Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face All you Ventura County residents...(directions)

I have driven to DL many times from San Diego, but not very often since my move back to Ventura, CA. I know there are some people from the area on this board and am wondering what the fastest and easiest way to DL would be.

I will be going on Dec. 5th (Wednesday) and the parks open at 10am. I would like to be there for the opening and know how bad the traffic can be through LA. So what is the best way to go and how long should I expect it to take?

• *~*Under the Sea*~*

Re: All you Ventura County residents...(directions)

How weird....I'm from ventura county (westlake village) originally, but I live in san diego for college! lol

Ok, so I actually drove to Disneyland yesterday, it was my halfway mark to my house in SD so I stopped for fireworks. The fastest way, in my opinion is the 101 south to the 134 south to the 5 south and exit disneyland dr. You can check traffic reports before you go and if the hollywood freeway is clear, it's a little bit faster to just take the 101 to the 5 but the traffic is HORRENDOUS, usually.

Good luck!!!

• *~*Under the Sea*~*

Sorry I didn't give you time estimations.

It took me an hour from my house in westlake to disneyland without traffic. With traffic it's usually 1.5-2 hours. I would leave before 8 if you can and maybe get breakfast or something before you go in the park.

I agree with the 101 to 134 to the 5. This last Sunday it took us an hour from Calabasas and over 2 hours from Simi Valley two Sunday ago, because two cars were pulled over on the side of the 5.
    BTW are there any other families in Venura County or the valley? We just got an annual pass and plan on spending alot of Sundays there as a family. If I get up enough courage I plan on taking the kids by myself during the week.

The fastest way, in my opinion is the 101 south to the 134 south to the 5 south and exit disneyland dr. You can check traffic reports before you go and if the hollywood freeway is clear, it's a little bit faster to just take the 101 to the 5 but the traffic is HORRENDOUS, usually.

My route often depends on my mood. I most frequently take PCH to the 10, and go across on 10, and take either 110 or 5 south. If I take the 110, I hit the 91 east then 5 south.

The 110 can be sticky during the business week though, so maybe PCH to 10 east to 5 south. Works pretty well coming home, as long as there's nothing at Staples.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Shubisha

I never do the 134 to the 5. I do 101, and stay on it through hollywood and downtown, and then get onto the 5 and keep going until I'm there. From Woodland Hills(De Soto entrance on the 101) it takes me about 53 minutes to get to the park and be parked in the parking structure with no traffic. The no traffic usually only happens on weekend mornings though. You'll be going on a workday and hit lots of traffic in each leg of the trip. On the 101 in the valley, on the 101 through hollywood, some in downtown, some on the 5, etc... It could easily take you a bit under 2 hours to get there depending on when you leave.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

If the 101 and PCH end up being really bad, you could go the "back way".

Take the 101 to the 23 North, which basically turns into the 118 East. Take that to I5 and head south the D-land. Or if the 5 is bad (always listen to traffic reports on 980 on the 1's, and 1070 on the 5's) take the 5 a few miles to the 170 South to the 101 South through Downtown, then onto the 5.

This sounds a little out of the way, and yes, it is. BUT, sometimes the out of the way routes can be quicker.

• Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    If the 101 and PCH end up being really bad, you could go the "back way".

Take the 101 to the 23 North, which basically turns into the 118 East. Take that to I5 and head south the D-land. Or if the 5 is bad (always listen to traffic reports on 980 on the 1's, and 1070 on the 5's) take the 5 a few miles to the 170 South to the 101 South through Downtown, then onto the 5.

This sounds a little out of the way, and yes, it is. BUT, sometimes the out of the way routes can be quicker.
    This is my secret, back way home from Pismo Beach. Just listen to the trafic reports and if there's a problem on the 101, go 23-118. It's then a straight shot down the 5.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I live in the northwest corner of Ventura County in La Conchita. I would say that if you want to be there for park opening Wednesday, save yourself some traffic grief and leave as early as you pssibly can, like 5 AM. You'll miss a lot of the rush hour that way (and don't forget the SB 101 often gets heavy in Ventura County too). If you get to the Disneyland area early, there are some decent places to have breakfast near the resort.

I almost always go the 101-134-5. If you hear of problems on the 5, unless the freeway is blocked, stay with it. I sometimes take the east 60 over the 57, off at Ball and three miles west to the resort.

Hope this helps, VC neighbor!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

I'm in NorCal now... but I was living in Ventura up till just a few years ago. All these routes seem spot on, but I want to add my encouragement for you to leave at O-Dark Hundred in the morning and get to the Anaheim area early. Have breakfast, hang out, it will make the drive easier and if you need to, you can nap a bit before the park opens.

Oh, and wave at the ocean down in Ventura Country for me would ya?

• Circle of Ancients

It SO depends on traffic flow for the day.

The most direct route is the 101 to the 5. Next would be the 101 to the 134 to the 5.

Once those options are exhausted, you have a few other options:

101 to the 405 to the 105 to the (110, 710 or 605) to the 91 to the 5.

Or, if you do the 101 to the 5 and find yourself stuck in traffic you can take the 710 south to the 91 east to the 5.

You can always take PCH to the 10 to the 405 ... etc.

For us, it's always the traffic game.

Our last trip we took Santa Rosa to the 118 to the 5, to the 60 to the 710 to the 91 back to the 5.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

It's actually taken us 5 years to figure out the best routes to get around traffic. And even with that, it's not always a given you can avoid it. Unfortunately.

If you want to make a 10am opening, you would need to leave no late than 7am. But like Barry suggested, leaving earlier (I'd say 6am rather than 5am) and having bfast near the resort may not be such a bad thing.

Thank you everyone for you responses. I am really familiar with PCH to the 10 in the morning (my company's LA office is on the corner of the 405 and the 10), so I might just go that way and then over to the 5. I will definately keep a listing of all the ways listed on here in the car in case there is really bad traffic that way. I'm pretty sure I can get up and going early that morning because I will be too excited to sleep!

Thanks again!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The important part is to learn all the different ways you can get there, carry a "Freeway Overview" map from the Auto Club under the sun visor to re-route on the fly. You are traversing opposite corners of a big net - there are many choices at each intersection, including 'bail to surface streets' if you know your way.

Check a traffic site like www.sigalert.com before you leave. And listen to the traffic on the radio while you are on your way - if you hear about an accident ahead, divert to one of your other routes. If you were planning on 101 Ventura -134 -5 south and they announce an accident on the 5 while you are far enough out, bail to the 405 south or 101 Hollywood south.

Even if the accident or car fire is on the other side, the lemmings will all slow down and gawk - and you have to slow down to not hit them. Human nature, go figure...

The shortest route is 101 Ventura to 101 Hollywood to 5 south in East L.A. But the 5 goes to heck at the drop of a hat - your last minute bail-out is at Downtown LA to 10 east, 710 South. You can get back on the 5 south if that is past the accident, or stay on the 710 to the 91 east.

The 105 Century Freeway is a nice cut-across - on the weekends. Not weekdays, they have ramp meters on the exiting transition roads that mess you up during the week, and the unmetered Carpoool Lane transitions are all going north, the wrong way to get to Disneyland.

And if All Else Fails and everything Downtown is an utter mess (mid-week afternoons or bad weather) the long way around may be better. From the Valley, it's 101 east - 134 east - 210 east - 605 or 57 south. From Ventura County if the 101 is also dead you might go 23 North to 118 east, and hit the 210 south at the end of the 118.

If you take PCH from Oxnard to Santa Monica you are committed. If it goes sour there's no place to bail except back up a canyon to the 101 - and everyone else will be trying the same move...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    The shortest route is 101 Ventura to 101 Hollywood to 5 south in East L.A. But the 5 goes to heck at the drop of a hat - your last minute bail-out is at Downtown LA to 10 east, 710 South. You can get back on the 5 south if that is past the accident, or stay on the 710 to the 91 east.

The 105 Century Freeway is a nice cut-across - on the weekends. Not weekdays, they have ramp meters on the exiting transition roads that mess you up during the week, and the unmetered Carpoool Lane transitions are all going north, the wrong way to get to Disneyland.

And if All Else Fails and everything Downtown is an utter mess (mid-week afternoons or bad weather) the long way around may be better. From the Valley, it's 101 east - 134 east - 210 east - 605 or 57 south. From Ventura County if the 101 is also dead you might go 23 North to 118 east, and hit the 210 south at the end of the 118.

If you take PCH from Oxnard to Santa Monica you are committed. If it goes sour there's no place to bail except back up a canyon to the 101 - and everyone else will be trying the same move...
    Totally agreed Bruce. But there is another bail-out after the 10. The 60 east to the 710.

Yeah, the 105, especially on a Friday is bad. Weekends are good.

Just remember, if you have more than 1 person in the car, you can carpool.

The freeways that have carpool lanes would be the 405 (except where it needs it most (West LA to the airport), 105, and the 91.

If worse comes to worse, and the 105 is jam-packed, you can get off the 405 south at Redondo Beach Blvd and it turns into the 91.

Or you can always take the 405 south to the 22. Now that the construction on the 22 is done, it's quite nice.

But I agree with Bruce, knowing your options is always a good thing. It may add a few miles to your trip, and in the long-run may end up taking the same amount of time ... but sometimes, it's as much of an adventure getting to the park as being at the park.

• Rock Star Minion

Leaving early is the optimal option. I'm with Barry regarding 5AM departure during the week, and x/60 (where x is miles and 60 is in mph) hours before DL opens to get there with plenty of time to spare on a weekend.

From T.O., it is about 80 miles. We've made it home in about an hour at Midnight. It has taken us over two hours to get there from Burbank (picking up our "special passport") at 4PM. (That's about 45 miles?)

I also suggest that you have someone reachable by cell-phone in front of a PC with sigalert.com up and being updated.
    Or, get one of those new GPS's with the traffic map update.

Second most optimal option: get a hotel room the night before.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast