• Basking in birthday love

Where have you gone, oh my Single Rider?

Once upon a time, there was a fantastic way to minimize your wait for some of the most popular rides at the park, as long as you didn't mind splitting up your party. You approaced a CM at the front of the ride and requested Single Rider passes. Once the coupons were given, you proceeded through the exit of the ride to the loading area, and were seated in the first available empty seat. It only worked on rides with a fixed capacity, but it was a lovely, lovely system.

So imagine my disappointment when I asked a CM at Indy for the passes, only to be told that the system had been removed from all rides except Splash. And so I ask you, why? It was win-win for the guests and the park, because guests who were willing to do it could completely bypass two-hour lines, and it ensured that the ride was running at full capacity and that no seats went to waste. I'd love to see this system running again on every popular ride where you're sitting in an individual seat instead of on a bench (i.e. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and Indy).

Was there an actual reason for the park to pull it out?

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Ooh boy!

Re: Where have you gone, oh my Single Rider?

Was there a limit to how many times a single person could ride?

If not, maybe people abused it by riding an attraction many times in a row. Or something.

You could only ride once per pass. If you wanted to do it again, you had to go back to the front, get another pass, and wait until there was another opening. I wouldn't really call that abuse...

My guess would be that it's a just a pain-in-the-neck for the CMs. Holding onto the passes, giving specific instructions, and groups not understanding the concept of 'singe-rider' and insisting on sitting with each other once they get to the front of the line, or whatever else.
    Any attractions CMs past/present that can help me out here? I'm just spitballing.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I actually used the - single rider line - for Soarin just a few days ago. From the time I got in the line, until I rode and departed the ride, was about 45 minutes. Worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    So imagine my disappointment when I asked a CM at Indy for the passes, only to be told that the system had been removed from all rides except Splash.

Was there an actual reason for the park to pull it out?
    The Indy queue is already incredibly congested with Fastpass, Standby, SAP and exiting guests all colliding in a long, narrow passage. When the suits started requring riders to view the seat belt video, it became infeasible to merge Single Riders with the main line before the video and then pull them back out to ride the elevators into the Single Rider queue.

Some people were using Single Rider to get their group merged with the main line and then "forgetting" to let the CM know that they were supposed to ride as singles. Without the ability to assure that singles remain separate, there wasn't really any point to keeping it around.
    Ethically reprehensible, yet fiscally sound.

• Kirbyshowcase.com

single rider on splash is awesome. I rode it 3 times in a 45-60 min span
    (insert funny comment here)

• Banned User

perhaps in the future during a referbishment they will solve a problem on many rides that need a Single Rider and then add it or remove when nessesary.. (I think IJ needs it.. thought i only saw it breefly.. and never saw anything but a line.. LOL)

• Queen of Randomness

I only have used it on Splash, I wasn't even aware that it was on any others. I split from the other members of my group once, I had a 10 minute wait and they had a 45 min.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• OM NOM NOM

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    ...groups not understanding the concept of 'single-rider' and insisting on sitting with each other once they get to the front of the line, or whatever else.
    Any attractions CMs past/present that can help me out here?
    I may be of some assistance....

Comrade Dick is right about the Single Rider Pass for Indy. Once everyone was required to watch the video, the SRP became extinct.

As for DCA, the simple open floorplan of almost every E-Ticket there made it easy to implement SRP's. Unfortunately, it makes DCA seem like an even smaller way to spend your time.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I remember single rider being very helpful for the big rides like the Rocket Rods. It's a shame that it is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    I may be of some assistance....

Comrade Dick is right about the Single Rider Pass for Indy. Once everyone was required to watch the video, the SRP became extinct.

As for DCA, the simple open floorplan of almost every E-Ticket there made it easy to implement SRP's. Unfortunately, it makes DCA seem like an even smaller way to spend your time.
    Well then, the solution becomes obvious: the queue of Indy is going to have to be completely redesigned. So, my little piece of armchair imagineering for the day: create a separate queue for both FP and SRP. Route them through an area that's more designed for breezing through, and put in another projection room so they're also watching the silly video. If there's some way for them not to rejoin until the platform, dedicate the cars on one side to Fastpass and the cars on the other side to standby, except when one of the lines is significantly shorter than the other (i.e. if there are hardly any FP holders in line, send standbys to fill in the gaps). This probably isn't strictly possible without a MASSIVE overhaul, but it would solve a ton of problems.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Well then, the solution becomes obvious: the queue of Indy is going to have to be completely redesigned. So, my little piece of armchair imagineering for the day: create a separate queue for both FP and SRP. Route them through an area that's more designed for breezing through, and put in another projection room so they're also watching the silly video. If there's some way for them not to rejoin until the platform, dedicate the cars on one side to Fastpass and the cars on the other side to standby, except when one of the lines is significantly shorter than the other (i.e. if there are hardly any FP holders in line, send standbys to fill in the gaps). This probably isn't strictly possible without a MASSIVE overhaul, but it would solve a ton of problems.
    Oh, don't even bother with that...no need. Buy a little 13" tv and a vcr and glue it to the wall along the Single Rider line and make guests stop to watch it. Total cost: <$100.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!