Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Re: First Look at DCA's Toy Story Mania!

I don't think you've given buzz enough chance. Theming issues aside, it's a pretty good ride. Well put together and visually very interesting.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brad chowen View Post
    I have no doubt that it will take the Buzz concept to the next level. Can't freaking wait. Thanks for the article
    While it will take it to the next level, in my opinion it will be the next level down. The attraction’s facility themeing will, of course, be quite an improvement over the original PP themeing. And the 3D technology will be somewhat improved over previous versions. However, the ride itself will be relatively dry as all you do is get moved from one 3D screen to another where you play various versions of midway games. If you aren’t into video or midway/arcade games, there probably won’t be anything all that appealing. It’s certainly not a typical (or even come close to) Disney attraction or dark ride.

As for the relation to Buzz, that’s pretty limited to the shooting and accumulating scores from the various target scenes. But Buzz is a full (almost) dimensional space whereas TSMM is just shooting at video screens (albeit 3D). It will pretty much depend on guest’s personal tastes as to how much they will accept it.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    am I the only one who thinks this will be as cheesy and boring as Buzzlightyear? like winnie the pooh in tecno color?

I agree with you it looks like the same concept for buzz lightyear. just mini games like your usual carnie. winnie the pooh is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Let me ask you a question. Do you truly believe this ride will be timeless like POTC or HM, or will this just be another buzz lightyear? I think this is something we can all predict and the truth is that DCA needs attractions like POTC and HM, not rides that are obsolete in 10 years.
    Whoa there. If we're going to use Haunted Mansion and Pirates as yardsticks, we'll quickly find ourselves ripping out whole tracks of the Disney resort for being inadequate. No, in answer, I don't think it will be as timeless as HM or POTC, but what is? As far as I'm concerned, Haunted Mansion is the Citizen Kane of dark rides, but that doesn't mean that any ride, or in the case of my silly analogy, film that isn't as good is inherently lame or a waste of space (or celluloid, to drag the charade on.)
    The very basis of the question to me exhibits a tacit either-or fallacy. Either Midway Mania (or whatever you think would've been a better concept) has to be as timeless and unique as Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, or it's a waste of space and "lame."
    I agree DCA needs some high-caliber, original, innovative attractions to even begin to compete with DL, but just because Midway Mania isn't a one-ride fix to the storied DCA problem doesn't mean it's a waste of space. It fits the theme of Paradise Pier perfectly (the only other likely possibilities of a dark ride for the area are either a fun-house (problematic, as it's somewhat definitively a walk-through idea intended specifically for younger people), a tunnel of love (From the looks of it, the Little Mermaid ride will be pretty close to this except it's not a boat ride), or a ghost house (obviously, Disneyland has this idea well-covered).
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Timelessness is not something that can be created. Setting out with the intentional goal of creating timelessness is not a recipe for success. I would love to see your definition of obsolete? Technology? Characters?
    So in other words Disney shouldn't bother trying to create masterpieces? If Disney doesn't try, how do you expect one to ever be made? Again if you need proof of what Disney should be doing all you have to do is look over into Tokyo Disney Sea.

My definition of obsolete is the lack of lines and lack of repeatability, a trend that has become the norm these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I don't think you've given buzz enough chance. Theming issues aside, it's a pretty good ride. Well put together and visually very interesting.
    Neither me or my friends ever want to go on it anymore since we feel it's boring and we are people who like video games.

• Banned User

Personnally I like Buzz . I ridden it at every resort on the planet save DLP because I haven't been back since it opened there, so got no beefs with it. Its a fun, interactive, distracting ride. Obviously its popular since its now in every freaking Disney resort around the world.

As for TSM or whatever its called, I agree it doesn't look awfully exciting just by looking at it, but actually experiencing it may be a whole different matter. Again, we just have to wait and see, but the main point to remember is that A. Its something everyone can do and B. Its still better than every attraction in PP now save Screamin, so really this is a good thing.

• I'm not really here

We love Buzz as well. It is very much like being in an arcade game with a cheesy storyline. Which is exactly what it is supposed to be. And because you are playing against yourself and your trip-mates, it is highly repeatable as you can ALWAYS do better. Even knowing where all the secret targets are does not guarantee success or a high score. I don't think Buzz is themed improperly either for reasons I won't mention in this thread as it isn't about that.

I think Midway Mania, as we have been told it will be called in DCA, will be an amazing ride as well. With multiple games to play, and various ways to use the ride vehicles, not to mention the latest in projection systems and AAs, this ride promises to be amazing. One look at the detail on the exterior should tell you they are putting every ounce of creativity and detail into this one.

Could they have come up with something better, more creative, less Pixarish? Yes, most definitely. But in all honesty, they could probably have come up with something a lot better than Mr. Toad 53 years ago as well. The point is, this is what they chose to build, just as they chose to build Mr. Toad, complete with particle/plyboard flats coated in UV-reactive paint and with obvious door hinges at joins. That ride is a classic, not because of its quality, but because of the nostalgia of having grown up with it there and it being a part of "the Disneyland I remember." Kids going for their first visit today will have that same nostalgia for Midway Mania and Buzz and Nemo that we have for ATIS or The Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. It's the care and detail that go into it that make it a good ride, and Midway Mania looks to have this in spades. More than that I can't say, so I can't judge it on its merits yet. That will have to wait until I can ride it several times and take it all in.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

with all the problems that Buzz has, at least it has a semblence of a plot. It may be themed to toys instead of the actual space ranger like it should have been, it may consist of cheap cut-outs and lacks focus and story-telling...but there are the bare bones of a story there...

With Midway Mania, we don't even get a story. The ride vehicles look cool and I even like the design, but I go on Disney rides to go on adventures. When I first heard of the idea, I thought it could be interesting. Through some action we are shrunk down and thrown into midway games. We must play through them to escape and avoid the giant game pieces (ping pong balls, balloons, darts, water jets). They could even make the track like a slow moving coaster with hills to bounce over and zigs and zags to make it fun-house-ish.

But the more I hear about it, we are just playing games with Toy Story characters rooting us on. The games are not oversized nor really affecting us on our journey, just something to play as we move along. It sounds like Disney came up with some great new technology and tried to build a ride around it instead of thinking of a great new ride and building the technology to meet their needs.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

If the "ride" looked like it had possibilities, I would say so. I didn't criticize
    Pirates with the most recent update with adding the movie influence, as
    soon as some details were out about the updates. But if some new attraction
    sounds lame, I'll say so. And this Toy Story attraction seems weak.
    And YES people are going to compare it to HM and Pirates because those
    are EXACTLY the types of attractions that DCA is missing since opening day.
    And unfortunately still is missing. This attraction seems to be no better than
    Buzz, which is hardly amazing. Peter Pan in my opinion is still a better attraction
    than Buzz. HM and Pirates are amazing. Toy Story is just going to be a ride
    through with a few things to shoot at. I'll hope it's something more, but
    right now it sounds like a lame carney ride.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    So in other words Disney shouldn't bother trying to create masterpieces? If Disney doesn't try, how do you expect one to ever be made? Again if you need proof of what Disney should be doing all you have to do is look over into Tokyo Disney Sea.
    Disney should try to make quality experiences. They cannot all be a masterpiece.

Sheesh. A poster earlier said something about hoping Midway Mania and the other changes to DCA following it would end the grousing about DCA. Didn't take long to pop that bubble did it?
    I hope Pressler, Eisner and associates are happy with the cynicism their mismanagement has fostered, because judging by the majority of posters on Micechat these days, confidence in Disney is at an all time low. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually glad I'm not an imagineer; looks to be a pretty thankless task.
    Is it disappointment in Nemo sub voyage that's so jaded everyone to immediately expect the worst from new attractions? I know there hasn't been a "wow" ride since Indy but still, ouch.
    Oh well, I guess since it's already being panned so sharply, the actual experience can only improve on expectations. At this point, I think a lot of people would apparently need to be punched in the face while riding for it to be any less pleasant than they're expecting it to be.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Sheesh. A poster earlier said something about hoping Midway Mania and the other changes to DCA following it would end the grousing about DCA. Didn't take long to pop that bubble did it?
    I hope Pressler, Eisner and associates are happy with the cynicism their mismanagement has fostered, because judging by the majority of posters on Micechat these days, confidence in Disney is at an all time low. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually glad I'm not an imagineer; looks to be a pretty thankless task.
    Is it disappointment in Nemo sub voyage that's so jaded everyone to immediately expect the worst from new attractions? I know there hasn't been a "wow" ride since Indy but still, ouch.
    Oh well, I guess since it's already being panned so sharply, the actual experience can only improve on expectations. At this point, I think a lot of people would apparently need to be punched in the face while riding for it to be any less pleasant than they're expecting it to be.
    It isn't our fault that confidence in Disney is at a low. Disney has brought it upon themselves.

With Tomorrowland '98, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney Studio's Paris, a bug's land, and Finding Nemo Projection Submarine Voyage, what else could Disney expect?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    It isn't our fault that confidence in Disney is at a low. Disney has brought it upon themselves.

With Tomorrowland '98, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney Studio's Paris, a bug's land, and Finding Nemo Projection Submarine Voyage, what else could Disney expect?
    For me, the low point was the "redo" of the Imagination pavilion at Epcot - it is a microcosm of the issue - not a matter of money, but a complete lack of storytelilng, emotion, humor, etc. To take something that great and make it into that horrible thing tells it all.

Expedition Everest has risen my hope as that is Disney quality from beginning to end.

Agree that Nemo was equally underwhelming and absolutely not worth the investment. Fill in the hole, tear out the Autopia and use that valuable land for something actually entertaining. I did Nemo once and can't imagine doing it again unless it is a walk-on - that is a very sad statement.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

BLAB is a very good ride with a high reridability rate. If you flip through the guidebooks that are out there, all rate it very highly, and say that it is a very good attraction. Just because it does not live up to OUR extremely high standards does not mean that it is not a good ride. Every day, many thousands of people ride and enjoy Buzz Lightyear.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I'd like to believe that, but all the official press I've seen from Disney with the exception of the DCA concept art has said "Mania" without the "Midway."

Alll of the advertising at the moment is being packaged together as part of the YOMD campaign.

Once each attraction opens they will each have an indepedant name.

The signage for DCA's attraction will have the "MIDWAY" word on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast