Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• decorating

Advice- riding Star Tours without a moving speeder

Here is the gist of it.
    My mom hasn't been on Star Tours since it opened, cause it made her almost hurl (motion simulators can do that to her, we've discovered since)
    Somoene ( ) mentioned that you could go in a room and see the show. Well, that would work great.
    So on the 21st, my moand my friend and I asked about it at Star Tours in the afternoon. Well, we were told that you could get a star speeder turned off so you could sit in it while it wasn't moving and ride the ride (well, sit the ride, anyway)
    First attempt.. the girl in charge wasn't in uniform, so she said she couldn't. Come back later.
    Second attempt, Person in charge out to lunch, come back. Came back, after waiting, was told it was too busy right then, tnat it was a peak time because it was after the parade. (wait was 15 minutes, every time we had gone by Star Tours, it had been a 15-20 minute wait)
    My mom was pretty laid backl about it, but I was frustrated about haveing to come back at certain times and not being able to do it before 11 at night, when we started asking at 3:30.
    SOoo, has anyone done this? Can I have a recommendation about when to approach them? Would it be worth asking somewhere like City Hall? I've never tried this type of thing before, but Mom would really like to go on it.

• =)

Re: Advice- riding Star Tours without a moving speeder

Never heard of this being done, particularly not in the busy holiday season, though it'd be a very cool opportunity for people who'd otherwise be unable to ride. Kind of like the alternate version of the subs that doesn't involve a sub.

• Just one of those days

If you ask me, Star Tours isn't worth riding without the motion, but that is cool that they can stabilize it for people who get motion sick (under certain circumstances, it appears). I wish that they could work out handicapped people and the subs.

I turned off Star Tours once while watching it move thru the little window. hehe

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Motion simulator attractions are kinda not worth it without the motion aspect (then you're just watching a movie), but it's nice that the opportunity is still there for guests like your mother.

Honestly? Asking for something special like that, I think you would have to expect that the only time they would do that for you would be at night, or if it's a fairly empty day. Remember that they are not technically required to let you ride the attraction that way-it is a request. I do think that it's ridiculous that they wouldn't allow it when the wait was 15-20 minutes, but really, what do you expect to be told from people who get paid little more than minimum wage, creating a high turnover rate and therefore unhappy and short-term employees? It's easier for them to say "no" then to help you out (I'm not saying that all CMs are lazy but it does happen after all).

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Personally, I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean they haven't done it. At Sea World they have a helicopter ride that is a simulator and they have rooms that don't move.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd love it. If there is such a thing, let me know please!

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

this is interesting,i didn't know this was possible
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

I can tell you, the chances of you getting this opportunity are slim to none unfortunately. While we do have the option to run the video without the motion, I only know of one time it has been done and that had to be passed by TL managers because it was not the "show" aspect of our attraction.

• decorating

We had people coming back and forth from the manager, who nixed it at the time because it was a 'high' traffic time.
    We were there on a Monday, so I thought a weekday would help
    I know it is an unusual request (yes, Mom had to sit on the stationary part at Sea World too!) but this IS the year of a Million Dreams, and darn it, I haven't gotten a hat yet, so I am gonna make this happen for my mom...

• Minion

Jeff Wayne

• Rock Star Minion

Seems to be a lot easier to let her skip it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

It's really not fair to ask them to do this when there is A LINE. That means, even a 15 minute line. Disneyland pushes castmembers really hard to get guests on as many rides in the day as possible. That means, whenever there is enough people in line to not send empty seats/speeders, they are going to fill every seat/speeder.

Unless there are LESS PEOPLE than seats than can be filled, they are going to really resist doing this since they have to waste a lot of seats to make it happen. So go when it's really empty late at night.

15 minutes of line implies that they are still able to fill every seat, and they will do so until they kill the line completely.

It doesn't mean they are lazy or just being jerks because they are underpaid. Although this could be true, more likely it's quite the contrary: they are concerned about ALL THE OTHER guests (of which there are enough to make a 15 minute line at least) and are trying to be as efficient as possible to maximize the experience of the overall Disneyland population. Each attraction is carefully monitored and held to efficiency standards, so it's not easy for them to suddenly let their hourly guests-carried count drop to serve just one person. Sorry.

So yah, go late at night. It'll be much easier to accomodate you then.

• decorating

Quote Originally Posted by idreamofjeani View Post
    It's really not fair to ask them to do this when there is A LINE. That means, even a 15 minute line. Disneyland pushes castmembers really hard to get guests on as many rides in the day as possible. That means, whenever there is enough people in line to not send empty seats/speeders, they are going to fill every seat/speeder.
    When is there not a line?

I know obviously going at three in the afternoon isn't the best time.. next time with mom, I'm going to go there first, and talk with someone about when to come back. I was just frustrated that we were sent back over and over and over, every couple of hours... the first girl would have done in in the late afternoon... Mom was tired by 11, he didn't want to try it then.
    I'm kind of disapointed no one has aven tried this (I guess) If it ever works, it will be an adventure

PS Youtube isn't the same.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

She doesn't want to skip it. She wants to do it. Don't tell her to skip it, that's not the point.

I get horrible motion sickness too. Have you tried making her take dramamine or something before going on a ride? That helps me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast