Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• living to haunt

Where is Walt in Disneyland?

I started another thread about our upcoming trip and I stated that I really want to show my grandkids the "Walt" part of the dream. So I am coming to you the experts, and I say that with all seriousness, for some thoughts.

Where do you find "Walt" in the park. Along with places I can show them pictures, buildings, statues, etc. Where can I see them to show them Walt's Dream. Where do you find it? I find it when I first turn onto Main St. and see the castle out in front of me with the patners statue right in the middle.

I am very serious about this, I want the kids to realize that it was a dream for him and he made it happen. While they are still young enough to believe in dreams.

thanks
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Where is Walt in Disneyland?

Main Street, all of it. The Penny Arcade, the ice cream shop. I saw Bert and Mary Poppins dancing with some little kids to the piano outside Coke Corner, and it just tugged on my heartstrings so much. Have them watch the cartoons in the theater! Those used to hold my attention.

Also: DLRR round trip. Jungle Cruise (esp. details in the queue). Pirates and HM. Mark Twain and Columbia. Fantasyland.
    I like looking in the figurine/book store where they're selling the 40th anniversary of Pirates artwork. If the gallery was still around, I'd say there too, but it's gone.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The ice cream shop. Do you mean Gibson Girl? With the most of respect, there is very, very little of Walt in there. That wasn't there until the 90s -- much more Eisner than Walt.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

There are only a few relatively unaltered 'Walt' places left except the Tiki Room, the DLRR (including dioramas), IASW, Mark Twain and some Fantasyland attractions, among a handful of others...you could schedule a "Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour". It always sounded like fun to me.

• A Weather Eye Open

Yeah I did mean Gibson Girl, but I think it's just because it fits so well into Main Street, which as a whole was a big piece of Walt. Like, when I spend time on Main Street soaking it in, those are things I would do, like get ice cream, watch the Dapper Dans.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Eeyore smiling

Take them to the central park/plaza and take a picture in front of Walt, reading the plaque. Then take them over the drawbridge into the castle.
    I am actually watching "Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes" it was made in 2003, BUT it is focussing on Walt and his vision. It actually takes you into his apartment and into Club 33. Even though I just got back 4 days ago from a fabulous 5 day trip to the park, it is making me want to go back!!! Not sure how old your grand children are, but if they are old enough, this is a great way to see what DLR is all about.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

There is a nice collection of photos on display in the Disneyland Hotel, along with numerous prints depicting concept artwork.

Inside DL - the Opera House on Main Street and The Golden Horseshoe.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Original or not, the carousel would be THE most Walt part of the park, as Walt claimed he was inspired to create Disneyland by the times he'd take his daughters to ride a carousel.

• Mischievous Mouse

Frontierland, where the kids can pet the horses, the cabin with the loft, kids can color. That was a very special place. I could feel Waltr all around there, pictures on the wall.
    Then we talked with the CM there about the horses retirement and stuff. very cool.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Nothing to me says "Walt" more than a grand circle tour on the Disneyland Railroad. If you look at the original park plans (when it was located in Burbank), it was mostly a train park. Walt loved his trains and I think it most have been a thrill for him to take his model trains into a full-size reality.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    Original or not, the carousel would be THE most Walt part of the park, as Walt claimed he was inspired to create Disneyland by the times he'd take his daughters to ride a carousel.
    Walt hated that damn carney carousel he took his daughters too. Those were not fun times--for him.

Trains--miniature and real--were Walt's true passion, and are what REALLY inspired him to build his masterpiece.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Go see his only window (technically) in ToonTown next to the Library. All of Main Street, Opera House has cool concepts and a model of what DL looked like in 1955.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Rumor has it that Walt is buried beneath Sleeping Beauty's Castle.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-30-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Closed Account

Rumor also has it that I made millions sellling fishing lures to the Algonquin Indians.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Rumor also has it that I made millions sellling fishing lures to the Algonquin Indians.
    Are you sure that this isn't one of those fish stories?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast