Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb How To Fix Disneyland

(long post)

Disneyland was built, as history will show and as the hearts of so many of us, young and old, big and small know in our hearts and minds. It is the catalyst of so many fond memories; our first drive in a "car", our first ride down the Alps in a bobsled and our first trip to New Orleans without boarding a plane (although some had to in order to get here).

Disneyland is our land. It is our imagination. It is ours to keep with us from the day we are born until the day we die.

Unfortunately, time has not dealt a favorable hand to this happy place, as years of corporate neglect and attempting to "keep with the times" has taken away some of that nostalgic and momentous feeling that one experiences when walking beneath that bridge in into Walt's world.

I am not an imagineer and most likely will never be, but someone has to find a way to reclaim some of the magic lost through the reign of suit-wearing corporate types such as Paul Pressler and Michael Eisner, and while I do not call my armchair imagineering that mythical answer, I say it in the hope that it will bring back that magic to the hearts of those who know and love Disneyland. The Disneyland that Walt built.

We'll start in Adventureland; from there, we will go clockwise around the park.

I never knew Tahitian Terrace when it was around, but from what little I've heard, it was a pretty good addition to the world of Adventureland. Unfortunately, now it is an Aladdin show which, first of all, doesn't belong in the jungle as Aladdin was set in a desert and, second of all, is never open while I am there.

The plan with the Terrace is to bring it back as a dinner venue and bring back the Polynesian dancers to Adventureland. Much of the food in Disneyland is either counter-service or ODV and in my opinion, that is a crime. A day at Disneyland can make a guest awfully tired and hungry, so what better way to rest for a while than a good Polynesian dinner and a show with authentic Polynesian dancers?

Next up we have the monstrosity known as Tarzan's Treehouse. While the synergistic appeal of this ride may have been good in 1999, it is no longer relevant in 2007. The idea is to bring back the Swiss Family Robinson to the treehouse. Many people would say that the younger generation will not know who the Robinsons were; what a crime! I spent countless hours in that treehouse climbing and exploring and the children of today see motionless figures from a movie made almost ten years ago? Bring back the old charm and show the children that special magic that the generations before them experienced.

Now, in New Orleans Square and Critter Country, there isn't much of a problem save for the lack of the Country Bears, and even then the Pooh ride makes sense for the kids; everyone knows Pooh.

Frontierland has turned from destination to a mere bridge between Fantasyland and New Orleans Square, and that needs to change. Make it a rollicking mine town with gunfights and an all-new Golden Horseshoe Revue show and make the Golden Horseshoe's food selection authentic. None of the hot dog and pretzel stuff that is there now.

Where much of the attention should be focused in Frontierland is the mostly-unused Big Thunder Ranch section. I don't know if the area is big enough, but wouldn't this be the perfect place to build Tony Baxter's Western River Expedition? Even cross the train tracks and make the train part of the experience? The possibilities are endless and I would venture to say that it would be a magical experience.

Mickey's Toon Town could use some revamping but a lot of the kids still like it, so keep that.

Fantasyland is still relatively good.

And, last but not least, Tomorrowland. Man, 1998 was a bad year for Tomorrowland.

Innoventions is actually quite cool, especially the Honda Asimo robot. But, I think it could be rethought into a glimpse into future technology, ever-changing and ever-evolving as new technologies are realized and as old ones are put away. XBox and driving simulators are not that magical wave of the future. But remote surgery, television technology, robotic technology, anything that will be useful in the future, is.

The PeopleMover should come back into the fold as it once was, but with a sleeker, more thought out look. Imagine a chariot of silver and glass as it glides overhead (or crawls) through tunnels of light and neon and wondrous future scenes... that is what Tomorrowland is all about.

New movie for Star Tours based on a new destination and a new climax. I blew up the Death Star fifty times, yet when I come back, it's still there! It's getting old and creaky, make it new and brilliant.

Observatron needs to go and the Rocket Jets need to come back. Astro-Orbiter can be replaced by a pool of water with a fountain of color and a program that changes throughout the day. Even add some ambient music to go with the show.

Main Street is just fine.

Anyhow, as I said, this is my vision of Disneyland.

Sincerely,
    R.C.

• Goofy

Re: How To Fix Disneyland

wow very interesting words.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Since this OP is either going to be ignored or torn apart I will just start off with a minor part of the post.

Visuals of remote surgery is going to be fantastic, nothing says Disney like humongous televised images of a bowel resection.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Thumbs down Re: How To Fix Disneyland

Visuals of remote surgery is going to be fantastic, nothing says Disney like humongous televised images of a bowel resection.
    Not stuff like that...

Actually, now that I think about it, forget the surgery...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Wow! Hell of a first post.

Welcome to MiceChat! With well thought out posts like that you'll fit in here like a glove.

Thanks,
    Chad

• Banned User

Toontown needs to be painted from top to bottom.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Toontown needs to be painted from top to bottom.
    I have a great brush. It resembles a bulldozer.

• Minion

main street should go back to its original color scheme

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

It seems like so often nostalgia drives our perceptions about Disneyland. I think the subs made it back precisely for that reason, and the fact that they couldn't think up anything better to put there. I personally do not think it was worth the many tens of millions of dollars they spent on it, by that I mean that I would have like to have seen the money spent elsewhere. So often on this board the cal is to bring back old rides that are long gone, often because people stopped riding them.

A lot of the ideas mentioned in the OP have been brought up before, but not all in one post. Perhaps all the energy and time that is going to be spent over the next several years on DCA and HK will allow the thinkers in Imagineering to have time to invent an original ride for DL. I doubt there is enough money in the budget to fix all the 'problems' in DL but little by little it seems to improve, usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    It seems like so often nostalgia drives our perceptions about Disneyland. I think the subs made it back precisely for that reason, and the fact that they couldn't think up anything better to put there. I personally do not think it was worth the many tens of millions of dollars they spent on it, by that I mean that I would have like to have seen the money spent elsewhere. So often on this board the cal is to bring back old rides that are long gone, often because people stopped riding them.

A lot of the ideas mentioned in the OP have been brought up before, but not all in one post. Perhaps all the energy and time that is going to be spent over the next several years on DCA and HK will allow the thinkers in Imagineering to have time to invent an original ride for DL. I doubt there is enough money in the budget to fix all the 'problems' in DL but little by little it seems to improve, usually.

Good post MC.

Nostalgia is a huge part. If only Nemo cost 10s of millions, it was over a hundred million. True about rides going because people aren't riding them, but quite often they are replace with other rides that don't draw much either. CBJ for Pooh, America sings for Innoventions. I think what all of us want to see is creativity and not the feel that management forced us to get excited about blah rides.

You are right though. A lot of the energy spent here at MiceChat is about improving Disneyland when the glaring need is improving DCA. Thank goodness Disney realizes if they want Anaheim to be a MAJRO tourist destination, the 2nd park has to be high quality. Focusing on all the faults of Disneyland rather than DCA is like Cinderella getting a facelift while Anastasia & Drizella are pawned off as a similar beauty.

Disneyland will always strive to be better. Let's just hope they use the right formula.

Chad

• =)

Interesting ideas, though you'll find they've all been expressed by others. You're not alone. So I just have one thing to say in response to the title of this thread: Is it broken?

• Banned User

I too believe that eisner and pressler/harriss type keeping-up-with-the-joneses (what the other themeparks are doing) types do not belong in a company like ours (Disney). we need more people who actually believe in the work that walt started, the imagination of walt, the spirit of walt.

bringing back the tahitian terrace to adventureland?? great idea. I will take that idea and upgrade it a little: send the aladdin and jasmine story telling adventure(and meet and greet) over to either disneys california adventure, or fantasyland.
    Bringing back Swiss family robinson treehouse?? Ding ding ding ding!!!!! another winner!!! I agree completely. I miss it too!!!! the sfrt has(had) walt's spirit. the tarzan treehouse has eisner's (and I cringe at the thought)
    I agree about the New Orleans Square And Critter Country. count me in too for the return of the country bears(not the theatrical version, although it was good, but the original attraction) and bring back the mile long bar. just because the name carries with it the thought of a place where only adults can go, NONSENSE!!!!!! just because the name had "bar" in it, you dont have to (and it didnt) carry alcohol. the charm of the place was that you could see all around you a bar that seemed to continue for ever(with cleverly placed carefully shaped mirrors). and (and this is not just in cc, but the whole park), BRING BACK PEPSI AS A SODA OPTION!!!!!! COKE IS FINE, BUT THERE SHOULD BE ADDITIONAL OPTIONS!!!!!!!!.
    The Golden Horseshoe: the original castmembers including wally boag are still around(retired but still around). either ask them to come out of retirement, or offer their kids(if they have kids) and bring back the original stage show with the saloon girls. the mine train ride? reopen it. it upsets me to walk past what is left of it: a train that just sits there and the opening to the attraction that just sits there as eye candy.(actually it becons to people with a plaintiff desperate cry: help!!! I need restoration!!!! help me !!!1 help me!!!!!! )

three things I would do with toontown:
    1) expand it. its too small
    2) more attractions
    3) actuall sit down restaurants (like the blue bayou, but toon themed, and AFFORDABLE, but high quality) (disney, not pixar)

Fantasyland? I agree. looks good to me.

And, last but not least, Tomorrowland. Man, 1998 was a bad year for Tomorrowland.

Innoventions? i agree. just like the automobile shows showcase project cars(car designs that dont always become actuall cars available for purchase. some times, but not always), showcase guesses
    of what technology might become.
    Peoplemover? I agree. BRING IT BACK!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!!
    star tours? i agree. but take it to the next step: the idea proposed in a previous thread of other destinations, and based upon all 6 movies. and make it interactive(how the attraction unfolds depends upon the choices you make)
    I agree with getting rid of the observatron. WHAT THE HELL WAS EISNER THINKING????????
    Rocket jets? bring them back? i agree.
    skyway needs to come back too.

Main Street? Idunno. i have heard that it has become kind of a mall like place and it needs the original walts home town charm.

one place that I remember seeing in mainstreet at Disneyland was a shop where you could purchase cameras and film and there were sets where you could have family pictures taken (kind like at knott's)
    and disney movies were available for purchase.

Peoplemover? I agree. BRING IT BACK!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!!
    In the idea I had in my head, the PeopleMover would be essentially the same but with newer effects and COMPLETELY redesigned cars... which if I may, I'd like to elaborate on.

The cars would be a more rounded shape, definitely sleeker, and would be straight-up silver and would have glass windows. They would be climate-controlled and would have an on-board soundtrack. Even team up with Honda and tie in Honda as a company involved in future methods of transportation?

It could work.

skyway needs to come back too.
    As much as I'd like to see the day that would happen, I don't think it ever will.

It's not so much a ridership issue as it is a liability issue. The Skyway of the past had doors and that's it; nothing else to restrain the guest from jumping out of the cabin (which is why my vision of the PeopleMover has glass windows). Unfortunately, the addition of any form of restraint or unlocking mechanism at the loading areas would be inefficient in the operation of the ride. There's no sense in a transportation ride if it has to stop every thirty seconds to let guests off.

Is it broken?
    Yes and no. It's still a lot of fun and a great place. Walt would be proud and he wouldn't be proud at the same time. Too often I think that his vision is sort of lost in the haze when it comes to the growth and change of the park.

I am proud of Disney however for realizing their folly in the ongoing California Adventure debacle. Disneyland Resort's main guest demographic is California and who wants to visit a park that is based on where they live. Why go and see a miniature Golden Gate Bridge when I can drive six hours and see the real thing... and for free at that (I know... gas... but still.) Now, if only they could go across the esplanade and bring back the spirit of Walt for good.

And I will say that I'm happy to see John Lassiter entering the picture... I think he's one of the keys in bringing back Walt's legacy from the corporate bureaucracy that was Eisner.

• Mickey is not my Brother

I think for a marketing event or celebration for the return of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Toon Town should go retro, black and white and build some new attractions, restaurants, buildings, and characters

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    I think for a marketing event or celebration for the return of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Toon Town should go retro, black and white and build some new attractions, restaurants, buildings, and characters
    That would be soo freakin' cool to visit a toontown that was in black and white. It would look so cool!
    Class of 2005...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast