Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New here, best time to go?

So I've been visiting and reading here forever and fnally decided to register! So I have a question about when to go. We are possibly planning a trip to Disneyland, and this a big deal, i'm from NC and I really want to come to disneyland. So which is a better time to visit, Thanksgiving week or maybe the first part of August? Any help appreciated!

Re: New here, best time to go?

Quote Originally Posted by mm522 View Post
    So I've been visiting and reading here forever and fnally decided to register! So I have a question about when to go. We are possibly planning a trip to Disneyland, and this a big deal, i'm from NC and I really want to come to disneyland. So which is a better time to visit, Thanksgiving week or maybe the first part of August? Any help appreciated!
    Such a hard question to answer becasuse there are so many factors. IF you want to see the Christmas stuff but want to avoid as many crowds as possible go week after Thanksgiving mid week Tues-Thurs.Same for Dec until about the 3rd week.
    Janette

• Minion

First of all, welcome to MiceChat!

As for your question, it really depends on what time is most convenient for you and also whether visiting during the holidays (with the parks all decked out like they are currently) means a lot to you. Between the two times you mentioned I would choose the first part of August, just because Thanksgiving week is always a particularly busy time. Summer is busy but much more spread out.

• no flash photography...

where's the chart that has been on at least three other threads like this? It gives a pretty good idea of when the park is busy.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Hello and welcome to Micechat!!

Whatever you do DON'T come the week between Christmas and New Year. It's a Zoo...

The first week in August will have your typical summer crowds, and it's usually the hottest, time of the year and can get quite humid and icky.

Thanksgiving week was oddly slow this year, at least from our prespective in the hotels. If you go Thanksgiving week the weather is usually quite nice, and the Christmas decorations are beginning to appear if that sort of thing appeals to you.

November can also be rainy depending on the year, however this year even with clear skies it was relativley quiet. My pick? November...I hate Summer in So Cal, and I live here.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Well see we usually visit Walt Disney World Thanksgiving week but the reason I'm maybe thinking August is that I really want to see Parade of Dreams and Remember... even though i'm sure Christmas Fantasy and Believe..... are really good

Rainy days...like on Friday...I went w/ my pals and we barely waited for any ride...Splash was a walkon...we got to stay in our log...Around 10:30, my friend told me he didn't have to get off buzz...he made 7 revolutions...rainy days are the way to go!

Oh one more question, when are more things usually closed for refurbishment? Thanksgiving or August?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BCC View Post
    Rainy days...like on Friday...I went w/ my pals and we barely waited for any ride...Splash was a walkon...we got to stay in our log...Around 10:30, my friend told me he didn't have to get off buzz...he made 7 revolutions...rainy days are the way to go!
    That may be true, but it is rather difficult for visitors from NC to plan to visit on a rainy day - especially since Friday's rain was the first rain in like six months.

You can successfully visit Disneyland even on the busiest of days if you 1) arrive early, 2) make effective use of Fastpass, and 3) pace yourself well. In my own experience, I have been able to visit over two dozen attractions in a single day on busy events such as New Years Eve and the day before Thanksgiving.

Oh one more question, when are more things usually closed for refurbishment? Thanksgiving or August?
    Pretty evenly matched. Both times have few, if any, closed attractions - although keep in mind that It's a Small World will be closed for the majority of next year (but is scheduled to be up and running for the holidays).
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 12-02-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Well at WDW we're pretty much non-stop and we have everything worked to a science. I'm thinking that we'll be able to do this if and when we go. Still is it worth it to miss Parade of Dreams and Remember? I really want to see Remember especially since I heard it pretty much kicks Wishes butt

• Minion

Well at WDW we're pretty much non-stop and we have everything worked to a science. I'm thinking that we'll be able to do this if and when we go.
    Aha, you're that type of guest. I think you should have no problem getting in everything you want to visit.

Still is it worth it to miss Parade of Dreams and Remember? I really want to see Remember especially since I heard it pretty much kicks Wishes butt
    You bet it does. If you stay multiple days (which I imagine you will), on the first day I would plan to stake out a spot in front of the castle at about 8 pm, about 90 minutes before Remember begins. That way you have a very good chance of having an excellent spot, totally worth the time you spent there - and if wind or anything else prevents or stops the show, you still have more days to try again and it wasn't too much time wasted.

In other words, it is so NOT worth missing Remember - on the contrary, it's worth trying multiple times if it doesn't work out the first time!

Judging by the patterns before the Parade of Dreams this year, I'd say get there 15 or 30 minutes or so before the parade reaches you. It's a good enough parade to warrant the "not-to-be-missed" sticker of approval, but generally it's easy to find a good spot when it's that close to parade time.

But they don't show the week of Thanksgiving, right? Or do they?

• Minion

By the week of Thanksgiving, the holidays are in full swing, which means they do not show. Both the Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe...In Holiday Magic are showing by then.

Ok, sry to be asking so many questions but by that point do you know how if the regular entrance to DCA will still be intact or how much work will be going on in the park this upcoming Thanksgiving?

• Minion

Ok, sry to be asking so many questions but by that point do you know how if the regular entrance to DCA will still be intact or how much work will be going on in the park this upcoming Thanksgiving?
    Never, ever feel bad about asking questions on MiceChat; there's a wealth of members here with a (scary) wealth of information in their heads, just waiting for someone to ask.

And that's a good question. According to Al Lutz's latest article, the regular entrance to DCA will be intact until sometime in late 2009. It was supposed to get redone sooner than that, but it got pushed to later in the timetable in favor of getting some of the other facets of the project done first.

By next Thanksgiving, Toy Story Midway Mania will be up and running, but the rest of Paradise Pier may be in some state of haphazard completion and construction. DCA will have the new Pixar Pals! parade running by then as well. So overall, you shouldn't run into too many problems with construction at DCA. At least you're aware that something may be going on - think of the guests that come in completely unawares!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast