Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ride Photo Copyright ?

When we were in Disneyland last July we bought 8 ride photo's (Splash Mt. among others)

I'm now in the process of putting together two scrapbooks for the Grandkids for Christmas and would like to include a copy of each picture. I scanned them and then sent them to Costco to be printed. I soon got a call saying that these were copyright protected and i need some kind of release from Disney. They went on to say that other customers had been able to obtain permission but the could not give me anything specific as far as where to call or write.

Have any of you been through this ?
    Do you know who to call or email ?

Thanks

• no flash photography...

Re: Ride Photo Copyright ?

yes, costco is very strict about copyrighted pictures.

The disney website has a feature where you can add disney borders to your own pictures. I had a hard time picking them up from costco, but the eventually got approval from a manager.

I don't know how you would get permission to ahve them printed. I would probably just print them from my printer or take them to one of those self serve machines in walgreens other drug stores.

Give Guest Relations a call, they will probably be able to direct your call, or sent a letter granting consent.
    caliscreamin
    Webmaster
    www.mousetimes.com

2.67 miles from the happiest place on earth!

• Closed Account

Try Snapfish.

• "I Break Things"

Oddly I had a heck of a time getting MY OWN photos developed at Walmart... they claimed they were professional photos even after I showed them my memory card! I would recommend something like Walgreens or CVS, and they seem to be a lot less strict if you scan it at home and already have it on a disc or memory card.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I have never had a problem at my local "Kinko" style shop. I routinly print postcards and an two ocassions printed full size Disney seriographs, which print up beautiful. Merry Christmas.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Ride photos are copyrighted?? i didn't know that.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I know you aren't supposed to sell photos that are of Disney attractions, rides, buildings, etc. Something about trademark/copywrite. I would love to be able to sell a few of my photos, but that would take actually getting the license from Disney (I ran into a Disney photographer at WDW - not Photopass, he's a professional photographer for them).

As far as making Christmas cards for yourself - I wouldn't think that should be a problem, as they are for personal use. I don't know that for sure. I know someone who made beautiful Disney videos, and Disney put a halt to him selling them.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

I know that a few years ago my sister wanted to use her family picture she had taken at Disneyland in front of the tree for her x-mas photo. It was her camera, but was taken by a park photographer--she coupldn't get the thing printed any where--not Target, Wal-mart or Wal-greens. I ended up letting her borrow my photo printer. We thought it was terribly strange. I guess they are just afraid of Disney sueing them.

Disney will actually let you purchase a CD with all of your photopass photos on it now! I'm pretty sure you are also granted any copyrights and the photos are officially yours to do with whatever you please. I wonder if people still have troubles getting them printed? Unfortunalty they haven't started to include your ride photos on this yet.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I would tell Costco you'll take your business elsewhere.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    Ride photos are copyrighted?? i didn't know that.
    Yes, they are. At the bottom right corner of every photo you can see " Disney" and when I worked at Tower Hotel Gifts, I would stop Guests from taking pictures in the photo preview area; they're not legally allowed to do that.

Also, if I overheard Guests saying they were going to scan a purchased photo and duplicate it, I warn them that if they take the picture to FedEx Kinko's or a similar place, that they would likely be turned down because of the copyright, much like the thread starter ran into with Costco.
    Last edited by Alyssa3467; 12-03-2007 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacandjan View Post
    When we were in Disneyland last July we bought 8 ride photo's (Splash Mt. among others)

I'm now in the process of putting together two scrapbooks for the Grandkids for Christmas and would like to include a copy of each picture. I scanned them and then sent them to Costco to be printed. I soon got a call saying that these were copyright protected and i need some kind of release from Disney. They went on to say that other customers had been able to obtain permission but the could not give me anything specific as far as where to call or write.

Have any of you been through this ?
    Do you know who to call or email ?

Thanks
    Go to Kinko's or your local print shop. I have never had a problem, and no one has ever questioned me. You paid for these pictures and they are of your family. For Disney to have the rights to these pictures of "your family" you would have to sign a release. Just go to a print shop and they will copy it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindawdwtravel View Post
    Go to Kinko's or your local print shop. I have never had a problem, and no one has ever questioned me. You paid for these pictures and they are of your family. For Disney to have the rights to these pictures of "your family" you would have to sign a release. Just go to a print shop and they will copy it for you.
    All Disney Park tickets state on them "Entry constitutes consent for Disney to use any film, video or likeness of bearer for any purpose whatsoever without payment to bearer" or something similar. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say how it would stand up in court, but based on that, it sounds like Disney could make a "Random Joe Tourist Goes to Disneyland" action figure based on you and your family if they really wanted to. That would be kinda scary though, in my opinion...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Lindawdwtravel View Post
    Go to Kinko's or your local print shop. I have never had a problem, and no one has ever questioned me. You paid for these pictures and they are of your family. For Disney to have the rights to these pictures of "your family" you would have to sign a release.
    No - they don't need a release to own the rights to the picture - they took it! They need a release distribute, publish or sell the photo to others - which I'm sure they have blanket covered through some statement as part of your admission to the park.

I can take a photo of anyone - and the photo is mine, not theirs. I just can't sell or publish their likeness without their permission.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast