Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland,first opening.

When disneyland first opened its doors what rides are still there today,i presume most of fantasyland?What were the most popular rides back then?

• A New Kind Of Villain

Re: Disneyland,first opening.

Please Delete
    Last edited by Sadako; 12-02-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Minion

Disneyland's preview and mass media day was July 17, 1955. Regular guests were officially admitted the following day, July 18.

Attractions that have operated since opening include the Disneyland Railroad, Casey Jr., Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Mark Twain, and the Autopia.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Snow White's Scary Adventures, Jungle Cruise, the vehicles of Main Street, Teacups, Dumbo, and the Carousel.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

What about Story Book Land?

I think I'm confused.

• Small Worlds of Walt

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post
    What about Story Book Land?

I think I'm confused.
    Storybook Land opened in 1955 as the Canal Boats of the World, which was nothing more than muddy banks and a few weeds. Casey Jr. was still in place around it, but crossed over the waterways on wooden trestles instead of those stone bridges. In place of Cinderella's castle and tunnel was actually a second hill that the train went up and over. Storybook Land as we know it didn't open until 1956.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Storybook land did have the golden boat for the 50th along with a bronze plaque showing as an opening day ride. Take that for what it's worth.

• I'm not really here

http://www.yesterland.com/dl1955.html
    This page contains a list of the rides that existed by the end of the year 1955. Some were added after opening day.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Opening Day Attractions:

Disneyland Railroad
    Horse-drawn Streetcars
    Horse-drawn Fire Wagon
    Main Street Cinema

King Arthur Carousel
    Peter Pan Flight
    Mad Tea Party
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Canal Boats of the World
    Snow White's Adventures
    Autopia
    Circarama 360
    Space Station X-1
    Hall of Chemistry
    Stage Coach
    Mule Pack
    Mark Twain Riverboat
    Golden Horseshoe Revue

Jungle Cruise

Attractions Opened Later in 1955:

Main Street Shooting Gallery
    Horse-drawn Surreys
    Casey Jr. Circus Train
    Dumbo Flying Elephants

Mickey Mouse Club Theater
    Phantom Boats
    Rocket to the Moon
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Exhibit
    Flight Circle (model airplane flying)
    Aluminum Hall of Fame
    The World Beneath Us
    The Color Gallery
    Conestoga Wagons
    Mike Fink Keel Boats

• Small Worlds of Walt

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Storybook land did have the golden boat for the 50th along with a bronze plaque showing as an opening day ride. Take that for what it's worth.
    I suppose thats because the boats themselves were operational and didn't change much when Storybook Land was added, other than their names.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by nzl kiwi View Post
    What were the most popular rides back then?
    You'ld probably need to sample the older crowd here for that?

From the vintage photos, I'd wager a guess it was Autopia and Jungle Cruise.
    Last edited by Sorcerer's Apprentice; 12-03-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spell fix

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    You'ld probably need to sample the older crowd here for that?

From the vintage photos, I'd wager a guess it was Autopia and Jungle Cruise.
    I was around "back then." But I think "popular" is a highly subjective term. If an attraction had a higher daily capacity...it might be more "popular" if you are using attendance as your benchmark. And children, juniors, and adults are likely to have different tastes as to what appeals most to them.

But from memory...I'd say that the opening year "signature" attractions...the ones that I recall having the longest lines and most scuttlebutt about...were Jungle Cruise, Golden Horseshoe Review, and the Disneyland Railroad. Those seemed to be the "must sees" for most back then. If you use "must see" as your "most popular" benchmark. The Mark Twain also always seemed to be packed to the rafters.

But really...most of the attractions were all pretty popular. Folks tended to have a very limited amount of ride coupons and time...so they had to be very selective, and consequently spread themselves out rather evenly within the Park. If they felt a line was too long on one ride...they's just go to some other ride with a shorter line. And with that...folks were fairly evenly distributed within the Park. Which was one of the reasons for creating the A-E ticketbooks to begin with.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The problem with this question is, what really constitutes "an original"? It's a very slippery concept with no hard and fast line to make the decisions on, but when in doubt you say yes with an asterisk.

You have to remember that almost every ride has been overhauled or updated at least once, some several times - they totally ripped out and redid Fantasyland twice, and in some cases the sets and props were totally redone, only the ride vehicles are unchanged.

The Railroad has been moved and shifted several times, the new 2-story Monorail Barn / Roundhouse constructed, the passing sidings eliminated and the passenger coaches totally reworked, stations added, etc. The only part that could reliably be considered "Original" are Engines #1 & #2 that the Studio Machine Shop scratch-built.

The only other thing that has reamined relatively "unchanged" is the Mark Twain, and that's after a new boiler a few years back, but that still counts because Dixon Boiler Works built the original and the replacement.

(Would be nice if they fixed the 120VAC steam dynamo on the Twain, at least as a backup - the Onan diesel genset they added on later that's always chugging away in the back kinda wrecks the whole mood. So they have to stop mid-day for boiler water, big deal...)

The Teacups is the same basic mechanism, but it's been rebuilt and re-engineered several times as they found weak spots, and physically relocated at least once...

I could go on, but work beckons - I shall return.

--<< Bruce >>--

PS: And when I hit "Preview" for format check I see SDG is listed as reading the thread - be gentle...
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    The Railroad has been moved and shifted several times, the new 2-story Monorail Barn / Roundhouse constructed, the passing sidings eliminated and the passenger coaches totally reworked, stations added, etc. The only part that could reliably be considered "Original" are Engines #1 & #2 that the Studio Machine Shop scratch-built.

The only other thing that has remained relatively "unchanged" is the Mark Twain, and that's after a new boiler a few years back, but that still counts because Dixon Boiler Works built the original and the replacement.

(Would be nice if they fixed the 120VAC steam dynamo on the Twain, at least as a backup - the Onan diesel genset they added on later that's always chugging away in the back kinda wrecks the whole mood. So they have to stop mid-day for boiler water, big deal...)

--<< Bruce >>--

PS: And when I hit "Preview" for format check I see SDG is listed as reading the thread - be gentle...
    Who's "SDG?"

Anyway, mostly right on the trains, but don't forget, even the two engines you mention have been re-worked rather extensively. Both feature new cabs and completely new tender tanks (which were modified in the process, so that the Holliday's tender doesn't reflect what it used to look like), and the Ripley has had her boiler replaced. Both have had their running boards--once made authentically of wood--replaced by steel diamond tread. The engines have been fitted with solenoid-operated low-water fire shut-off valves--including solar panels on their roofs, which are often hidden from view. Solar panels are definitely NOT original!

The Caboose is probably the most "original" car still on the line--having only her number changed when additional cars were added to the train.

The Mark Twain itself has undergone some changes as well--the most notable being the repositioning of the companion ways (stairs) as well as the conversion of the bar on the second deck to something quite a bit less bar-like (they moved the bar against the wall). And if you really wanted to get persnickety, that black railing on the bow isn't orignal either. King of the Frogs could go into far greater and more knowledgeable detail here.

But really, as attractions, both the railroad and the Twain continue to serve in their original roles admirably, even if some of the details have changed.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Who's "SDG?"

Anyway, mostly right on the trains, but don't forget, even the two engines you mention have been re-worked rather extensively. Both feature new cabs and completely new tender tanks (which were modified in the process, so that the Holliday's tender doesn't reflect what it used to look like), and the Ripley has had her boiler replaced. Both have had their running boards--once made authentically of wood--replaced by steel diamond tread. The engines have been fitted with solenoid-operated low-water fire shut-off valves--including solar panels on their roofs, which are often hidden from view. Solar panels are definitely NOT original!

The Caboose is probably the most "original" car still on the line--having only her number changed when additional cars were added to the train.

The Mark Twain itself has undergone some changes as well--the most notable being the repositioning of the companion ways (stairs) as well as the conversion of the bar on the second deck to something quite a bit less bar-like (they moved the bar against the wall). And if you really wanted to get persnickety, that black railing on the bow isn't orignal either. King of the Frogs could go into far greater and more knowledgeable detail here.

But really, as attractions, both the railroad and the Twain continue to serve in their original roles admirably, even if some of the details have changed.

It really is amazing how the Disneyland RR and Mark Twain still run and operate, especially since engines no. 3,4, and 5 were all rebuilt engines and the Mark Twain has been appearing in Disney TV shows and specials since she started carrying passengers down the river. She continues to take people down the river by day and serve an important role in Fantasmic's finale by night.

Regardless of name changes, added elements, and overhauls, we're very lucky to still be able to enjoy attractions like Peter Pan and the Jungle Cruise. It's difficult to answer the OP's question since these attractions have remained popular enough to survive the decades of change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast