Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: If you could build one ride at DCA.. what would it be and why??

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Another difference between the two parks (besides landscaping, and don't get me started on that) is water. At DCA, you have the waterfall or whatever you want to call it at the Plaza, GRR, and that worthless, lifeless lake with nothing that really associates with it or in it. At DL, water is everywhere, and is a big part of a number of attractions.
    I think that you are right. Have you every noticed how many "boat" attractions that Walt built? Water was one of his design secrets that make a park fun for the whole family and refreshing on hot days. I agree that the lake seems useless at Paradise Pier. If Walt would have designed it, boats would be sailing in it and through it. I would love to see a "boat" dark ride at DCA.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Western River Expadition would be cool.... just make it more themed to california.. since I thought it was mostly the old west and less on just california....

it would rock with the history... it could feature many historical moments... and have an earthquake moment.. (how hard would that be??)

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Get rid of that ugly, mediocre California Screamin', and put in a recreation of the World's Greatest Roller Coaster, The Cyclone Racer (The original was in Long Beach) - no inversion, no stupid over the shoulder restraints, and it would actually fit the Paradise Pier (seaside amusement park) theme.

• Certified in everything

They should just scrap the entire "A Bug's Land" area. It may be cute and well themed but after going there the first time I did not feel the need to go back. Its just one more thing to skip each day at DCA. And i dont generally think of bugs when i think of California. They should expand the Hollywood are into this space, because that is a really good theme with a lot of room for new attractions.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• the subs were cool maan

How about a re-make and upgraded version of the Mine Train ride that used to be where Big THunder sits now? Thats california-ish and perty immersive.

• the subs were cool maan

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt
    Get rid of that ugly, mediocre California Screamin', and put in a recreation of the World's Greatest Roller Coaster, The Cyclone Racer (The original was in Long Beach) - no inversion, no stupid over the shoulder restraints, and it would actually fit the Paradise Pier (seaside amusement park) theme.
    um screamin fits perty good with the Seaside AmusmentPark theme. And ill say that its a perty freakking awesome 1/2 e-ticket. i'm not doubting your cyclone racer, but screamin is a DCA staple. Maybe remove the paradise pier theme and build a mountain around it........

• Banned User

A pirates type ride for the 21st century. One that will satisfy the thrill seakers but keeping it a family ride. I think we need something like journey to the center of the earth but with a earthquake or time machine type theme. Lots of animatronics and high quality effects would be needed.

• Senior Minion

Of course, the problem with any sort of "new", elaborate ride for DCA is the $100 million dollar price tag. If you had that kind of money, would you sink it all into one super duper attraction, or try to come up with two $50 million attractions? I'm sure they've got a fixed amount of money in mind they intend to spend on the park in order to improve it--but what gives them the best bang for the buck?

How about a ride that takes place in a gold mine (I know, it's been done), but what different is that it would have a similiar layout and ride system like the ride "Journey to the Center of the Earth" on Mysterious Island at Tokyo Disney Sea. It is very popular there.

I know it was only one ride, but I have some other ideas.

(1) Also taking from Tokyo Disney Sea, Aquatopia but improved. It could be in the bay near "Golden Zephyr".

(2)Condor Flats needs something else to stick with the aviation theme.That a new ride be built on Condor Flats. Maybe a ride like Rocket Jets but a mixture of old aircraft from the 1930s and 1940s. With an Airline sponsor or Aircraft Maker (Boeing because it took over (McDonnell) Douglas of Long Beach)

(3)A dune buggy adventure. California is home to Death Valley and you could have a four passenger dune buggy that I don't know .....goes all crazy.

(4) Buger Invasion has got to go. McDonald's is not a true California fast food place. Put in an IN N' OUT!. The lines at an In N' Out around California can last hours sometimes.
    Last edited by pancakesaregood; 07-28-2005 at 08:36 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Of course, the problem with any sort of "new", elaborate ride for DCA is the $100 million dollar price tag. If you had that kind of money, would you sink it all into one super duper attraction, or try to come up with two $50 million attractions? I'm sure they've got a fixed amount of money in mind they intend to spend on the park in order to improve it--but what gives them the best bang for the buck?
    One super duper attraction would get DCA's attendance up by a lot. Remember what happened to Disneyland the year that Indy came out? DCA has enough subpar attractions.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    millionairegirl: yeah, like Western River Expedition (WRE)
    Ditto!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• My Children's Father

A surfing ride in the lake (near Paradise Pier) would be outstanding from the standpoint of adding a kinetic element. It could be an e-ticket too, with a ride system that allows the "board" to rise up and lower with (artificially created) wave action. The ride could have you going out and riding the waves in several times ....I'm not sure how to keep people from falling off the board, however ....... gotta work on that ..... maybe some other vehicle ...... something sea-doo or kayak-like, but that would not be as "californian" as a surf board ......or maybe you could have a variety of vehicles ..... including kayaks, PWCs, sailboard ...... with an occaisional surfboard ridden by a "stunt CM" that could wipe out and/or hang 10 ...... sort of a JC skipper/Spicoli type character that would banter with guests ....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Do you mean a FlowRider

They have this attraction at Belmont Park in Mission Beach, San Diego and it's 100 feet from the actual ocean!

But at DCA they can change it for the seasons. They have a snow version of the FlowRider which they can use in winter.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    One super duper attraction would get DCA's attendance up by a lot. Remember what happened to Disneyland the year that Indy came out? DCA has enough subpar attractions.
    I think that's what they were betting on when they put TOT in, and we all saw how that didn't work. So it comes down to a question of putting all their eggs in one basket, or trying to hedge their bets. If they throw $100m into one ride, and it doesn't turn the tide, and it's a ride they can't clone at other parks, they're really stuck, aren't they?

Not to mention the fact that a new, E-ticket ride done from scratch (like the ones we're talking about) probably would have a 5 year development and deployment cycle.

Whatever they do, I hope they start soon!

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    Do you mean a FlowRider

They have this attraction at Belmont Park in Mission Beach, San Diego and it's 100 feet from the actual ocean!

But at DCA they can change it for the seasons. They have a snow version of the FlowRider which they can use in winter.
    No, I'm thinking of something that anyone (not just a skilled surfer) could ride. The ride vehicles would travel on a submerged track. The vehicles would have capabilities (similar to Indy) that would allow the passenger compartment to rise vertically above the ride chassis (which would remain in contact with the track). Figure 4-6 passengers per vehicle, similar to a log on Splash Mountain .....

As the ride goes out into the surf, the passenger compartment would rise up with the waves, as would happen with a "real" PWC, surf board, etc. I suppose vehicles simulating a PWC or other "powered" craft could be made to "fly" or "get air" as they come off of the waves by allowing the vertical rise to carry it above the water, coming down to a controlled, yet refreshing splash.

After turning to catch a wave, on the inbound leg, the passenger compartment would rise up to "ride" the wave in.

A single ride might involve going out and coming in several times, depending on the desired ride length. More trips out would allow more vehicles and increase capacity
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast