Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Social Imagineer

Re: Objections to Enhanced FastPass, and Resultant Boycott of A.A.A.

Well, it may be insignificant now. But it's merely the first step in the inevitable route of charging money for fastpasses, and the increasingly tense and unwelcomely real-worldness of the attendant caste system feeling in the Park.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Enhanced FastPass is really no different than the Front of the Line Pass Universal Studios offers. Disney's version is just more discreet and, as such, more insidious.
    I would say EFP is of a lower magnitude and thus much more tolerable than Universal's ticket. But then I have said that elsewhere.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    Well, it may be insignificant now. But it's merely the first step in the inevitable route of charging money for fastpasses, and the increasingly tense and unwelcomely real-worldness of the attendant caste system feeling in the Park.
    You may be right, but I hope you're not. If DLR starts selling front-of-line tickets like Universal, my desire to visit DLR would go down.

The EFP is a limited form of a front-of-line ticket, so one could argue that DLR is already selling front-of-line tickets thru AAA. But I think it is so limited, like many other DLR perks, that it does not bother me.

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    There is nothing economically sound about the Disneyland Paris Resort. It has been a poor performer for well over a decade. Besides, guests who pay for higher priced hotels and hotel rooms receive more aminities there too. Hate to burst your bubble, but it is a proven fact that special priveleges drive up the number of guests who stay at Disney hotels. Otherwise, everyone would stay off property. Even some of the "Disney Friendly" off property hotels offer special packages and priveleges in order to induce guests to stay. It's called competition.
    This is not a debate about DLP's financial situation is it? Last time I rad about thinfs ( which admittedly is not very recent, last year somewhere ), DLP's hotels are booked 85% of the time. Allegedly that is not very bad for a hotel.

I'd be interested to hear what privileges hotel guests get in Paris...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    As for the "special" privilages, well what can you do? A lot of families can't afford to eat at the Blue Bayou because of the expensive prices, should we take that out too? What about preferred seating at Fantasmic, Parade of Dreams, or Remember? What about early entry guests from the hotels?

Not really comparable, as people eating at the Blue Bayou do not negatively affect people who cannot afford to eat there. The same cannot be said for fastpass priviliges.

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    Exactly!
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Not really comparable, as people eating at the Blue Bayou do not negatively affect people who cannot afford to eat there. The same cannot be said for fastpass priviliges.
    I completely disagree. I think that as curious guests pass by the BB while going on Pirates, they will naturally wonder what exactly that is/ or want to go eat there. How do you think they will feel when they see that they can't afford to? And the only reason the restaurant can charge high prices is b/c people keep paying them. If nobody was willing to pay the prices, then they would go down. So by eating at the Blue Bayou, are you denying others the chance to do so?

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I completely disagree. I think that as curious guests pass by the BB while going on Pirates, they will naturally wonder what exactly that is/ or want to go eat there. How do you think they will feel when they see that they can't afford to? And the only reason the restaurant can charge high prices is b/c people keep paying them. If nobody was willing to pay the prices, then they would go down. So by eating at the Blue Bayou, are you denying others the chance to do so?
    I think that not being able to eat somewhere hardly affects one person's day. Standing in line longer because paying people are allowed to line-jump does.

Besides, obviously it is not possible to eliminate every negative aspect, but they should at least eliminate the ones they can.
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Minion

I think that not being able to eat somewhere hardly affects one person's day. Standing in line longer because paying people are allowed to line-jump does.

Besides, obviously it is not possible to eliminate every negative aspect, but they should at least eliminate the ones they can.
    Dude, what is the big deal? Honestly, in terms of overall park attendance, how many people are using the AAA deal? Not many compared to everyone else there...

And if I'm traveling from out of state and this is my only visit to the park in a long time, I'd want to get to experience as much as possible too!

• Social Imagineer

The big deal is that, in case you haven't noticed, we post about the most absurd Disneyland minutia here.

On a message board that averages twelve Peoplemover threads per week, and which currently has three threads about the freaking Observatron, a gripe thread about the Triple-A fastpass caste system is hardly out of order.

• the F.O.D. solution.

Not giving up my AAA membership for that.

Personally, I'd like to see FastPass only be available to those staying in resort hotels, or go away altogether. It was a nice concept, but it doesn't work. It clogs the walkways and makes the stand-by lines longer. Case in point: Space Mountain previews were usually a 40 minute wait, with the addition of FastPass, its now 90-120.

Instead of boycotting AAA, boycott FastPass.

• Basking in birthday love

Disney has always been about a different park experience for different price levels. Look at the original ticket system. There were attractions that didn't cost a penny, and there were attractions and amenties for which you had to pay handsomely. Disneyland was conceived as an area where the rich and the poor could play together, but it doesn't mean they're playing the same games. Disneyland has always, always offered wonderful things for people who are willing to pay through the nose. The beauty of the park is that there's still great stuff for the people who can't afford it.

EFP seems like a great way for the pure, exalted out-of-towners whose vacations we must preserve and revere to get on even ground with us evil, eeeevil locals and APs.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by DCACM
    Personally, I'd like to see FastPass only be available to those staying in resort hotels, or go away altogether. It was a nice concept, but it doesn't work. It clogs the walkways and makes the stand-by lines longer. Case in point: Space Mountain previews were usually a 40 minute wait, with the addition of FastPass, its now 90-120.
    That is just not a fair comparison. I remember many times waiting in line for SM for 90+ minutes during the pre-FP days. Yes, FP will increase standby wait times. But lets not kid ourselves that the lines were always short pre-FP.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Prag has already seen and debated my excerpt below, but for the benefit of others I am excerpting a post I made (to Prag) on another board recently. I would argue that Disney has a whole range of perks it offers, and since they do not grossly tip the scales, they are fine by me.

Consider...DLR is more than just rides. There are parades, shows, characters, early entrance, Toontown Madness, restaurants, etc. People can get special privileges for these things depending on what "packages" they buy. It seems to me that Enhanced FP is of the same kind as these.

For example, if you buy a two or more day ticket, you automatically get parkhopper privileges. Is that fair to the people who go for one day only?

Another example. If you buy a three-day or more ticket, you get one day of DL early entry. Thus when DL opens, you are automatically in the "front of the line" for the first rides. Is that fair to people who buy one or two-day tickets?

Another example. People who stay at GCH can walk directly into DCA, while those (few ) who actually buy tickets for DCA must wait in line at the gate. Thus GCH people get a jump and go to the "front of the line". Is that fair?

Finally, those who book through Disney at a DLR hotel or Good Neighbor can get (in addition to Early Entry) Toontown Madness, which is special access to Mickey and his crew, and front of line in Toontown when it opens. They also can get preferred seating at Aladdin. Is that fair?

I would argue that all of the above is of the same kind as Enhanced FP, namely, it allows special privilege if you pay a little more, stay at the "right" hotel, or buy the "right" package.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

It seems a bit silly to me to cancel one's AAA membership because of something as minor as this...
    I once cancelled my Circuit City charge card because they offered Divx, which I felt was going to hurt the free and open DVD market we have today. Had Divx succeeded, we wouldn't be able to get new releases for $14 like we can now.

One cancellation isn't going to change the world, but I have to agree that I don't like the Enhanced fastpass idea, much like I am not all that thrilled with regular fastpass. I am hypocritical in the sense that I use fastpass, but would prefer that it didn't exist.

Perks for money are fine; I just wish it didn't involved fastpass. Give the AAAers an extra pin or something.

My 2 cents....
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• ...or just Tonny

Dude, what is the big deal? Honestly, in terms of overall park attendance, how many people are using the AAA deal? Not many compared to everyone else there...

And if I'm traveling from out of state and this is my only visit to the park in a long time, I'd want to get to experience as much as possible too!
    I'm out-of-conutry and first tim visitor, but I'm still not using the offer. Actually, I'm not even sure I could if I wanted to, probably not, but that's not the point.

It's a matter of principle really. If they are okay with doing this, then that paves the way for other things. And the 16 hours or so that WDW hotel guests get as extra park hours, to me look like 16 shours stolen from all other guests.

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Disney has always been about a different park experience for different price levels. Look at the original ticket system. There were attractions that didn't cost a penny, and there were attractions and amenties for which you had to pay handsomely. Disneyland was conceived as an area where the rich and the poor could play together, but it doesn't mean they're playing the same games. Disneyland has always, always offered wonderful things for people who are willing to pay through the nose. The beauty of the park is that there's still great stuff for the people who can't afford it.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It does make me wonder though what Walt meant by saying "every guest is a V.I.P.".
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• that's right!

You realize that without Disney's approval AAA wouldn't be able to do this, right? If you're going to boycott AAA you might as well boycott Disney because they're just as responsible. It's not like AAA is a huge awful corporation FORCING Disneyland to offer unlimited fastpasses.

Ha ha ha!

It's a matter of principle really. If they are okay with doing this, then that paves the way for other things. And the 16 hours or so that WDW hotel guests get as extra park hours, to me look like 16 shours stolen from all other guests.
    YO WHAT UP AND WELCOME TO CAPITALISM

Disney doesn't make any money if you stay at the Best Western or some other offsite resort. So, why shouldn't they offer incentives to people who stay onsite? I'm surprised you're not arguing that parkhoppers are "unfair" to the regular guests who don't pay for them because, of course, they are denied certain abilities available to those who pay more. Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast