Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Objections to Enhanced FastPass, and Resultant Boycott of A.A.A.

I think that's a great idea. I always worry about tourists being able to go on everything and see everything at the parks. They may only go once or twice in their lives they should have all the opportunities available. I'm a mere AP holder I can wait my turns in line [what a shocker!]

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by squinky

YO WHAT UP AND WELCOME TO CAPITALISM

Disney doesn't make any money if you stay at the Best Western or some other offsite resort. So, why shouldn't they offer incentives to people who stay onsite? I'm surprised you're not arguing that parkhoppers are "unfair" to the regular guests who don't pay for them because, of course, they are denied certain abilities available to those who pay more. Seriously, this is ridiculous.
    As if Disney wouldn't be making money without perks like that.
    And why would I think parkhoppers are unfair? Early entry? Yes, I do think that is unfair. Other than that, don't see a problem with parkhoppers.
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• FastPass n00b

I don't think I'd boycott AAA for this reason, if only for the fact that if I'm ever broken down 30 miles from nowhere in the Calfornia desert on the I-10, I'm gonna feel really foolish if I canceled my AAA for a Fastpass dispute.

My opinion of FastPass is that they should abolish the entire system. In theory it works out wonderfully for both the park and guests, but in practice it just doesn't work to the majority's advantage. It clogs the park with people that could be waiting in a well-themed queue and it allows only people that know about it to get onto rides quicker. Of course, no one likes to wait in line, it's boring no matter how themed the queue is and we all just want to get on the ride and bypass the anticipation. But without FastPass, everyone absorbs their fair share of waiting and keeps people from crowding the walkways. FastPass actually an excellent idea, but it's proven that it just can't be done without a lot of compromises.

• ...or just Tonny

Actually, studies show that people often enjoy their rides beter when they have to wait for it...the "anticipation factor" you just mentioned. But that's of course completely
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• insufferable know-it-all

Regardless how you feel about a particular company, it is my experience that boycottERS suffer far more for the boycott than the boycottEES. So why bother boycotting anything except to give oneself the satisfaction that comes with feeling like a martyr.

I'm not happy with the fastpass system in general, however, I must admit that day guests like it, and as far as EFP... most people are too stupid to make the most of it (eg: getting all the fastpasses at the beginning of the day so they can get the second round also at favorable times and after perhaps only half an hour, as opposed to 2 hours). So on the whole, it's not great for everyone else, but not bad "enough" to seriously impact people's day, and for the recipients it's an absolute boon. If we must have fastpass, this is probably not the worst thing in the world.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

I'm on both sides with this. I don't like the practice, but at the same time, I love AAA. They do a great job, just like Disney does, of taking care of people. AAA doesn't cost a fortune to have, and their offers are open to anyone for really reasonable prices.

Now, were this something were only the rich could get it, I might complain more, but it's not. You can be pretty poor, save up for a Disney vacation through AAA without an enormous amount of pain in most cases.

• Hooterville, USA

This thread is much ado about nothin'.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

I agree. Here's how the capitalism works: if it were a bad idea, then no one would buy it. A "Natural Market Boycott."

There are bigger problems at DL that need solving (for the benefit of the park and for the overall guest experience, not for individual guests and their petty, "me-me-me" complaints, and not for DIS's financial bottom line), and a few of these possible solutions would include as a natural by-product the elimination of AAA's enhanced FastPass.

• Hedonist

I'm all for any privilages that I can take advantage of - whether that through money, knowledge, or connections. But as an AP, I don't worry so much about the lines on attractions. If they're too long, I'll come back.

• Who Loves Disneyland?

My husband and I went to Disneyland in May and we booked our trip through AAA. I have to say the package is great for people who do not frequent Disneyland often. Yes we took advantage of the unlimited fast pass but my husband and I have not been to Disneyland for almost 15 plus years and we only had four days in the park. The package had many other add ons but we did not have enough time to take advantage of them. Even with the perk of unlimited fast pass, we still had to wait in long lines for attractions without fast pass. (I love the Peter Pan ride and I cannot tell you how many times or how long my poor husband and I had to wait to get on this attraction---I wish this attraction had fast pass).

As for AAA, it is not the companies fault for providing a great deal. If Disneyland wanted to make a statement about being equal then they would do away with AP.
    I See SPOTS!!!!!!

Magic Kingdom 1992 and 2008
    Disneyland 1984, 1987, 1993 (3x's), 1998, 2005, 2007

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by 101 Dalmatians Rule
    (I love the Peter Pan ride and I cannot tell you how many times or how long my poor husband and I had to wait to get on this attraction---I wish this attraction had fast pass).
    You might want to hop to Paris sometime, Peter is available through fastpass there
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

I should explain that I have recently called A.A.A.'s roadside assistance center and was kept on hold for an unreasonably long period of time. A.A.A.'s service has been declining in recent years, so Enhanced FastPass provided the impetus for me to seek an alternative.

A.A.A. no longer has a monopoly on roadside assistance. And, I certainly do not need A.A.A.'s credit card. American Express is, by far, my favorite company in that industry.

I have a feeling that Disneyland under Pressler and Harriss entered into its current agreement with A.A.A., so I can understand that Disney may be contractually-obligated, at the moment.

My objections are specifically to Disney's extorting of more money from Guests by using the threat of longer wait times while simultaneously increasing the wait times of Guests who do not pay.

Disneyland has always had the policy that, even though royalty; other foreign heads of state; American Presidents; and, luminaries from countless other fields visit Disneyland, every Guest is a V.I.P and needs to be treated as such. Walt Disney waited in queues, himself, and so did his friends, family, and other guests. Even the Private Tours Disneyland has offered throughout its history have used queues unless the Guests on those tours were so recognizable that they needed to use a backdoor to avoid being mobbed.

Enhanced FastPass is anathema to this tradition. Walt Disney understood that wait times were a cost he and The Company were imposing on Guests. He would never have taken advantage of that situation to assign wait times according to the amount of money Guests were paying.

If the Enhanced FastPass perquisite did not impose a cost on other Guests, then I would have no problem with the feature. If Disney were to add capacity, Enhanced FastPass would be alright, but we all know that Disney is not doing anything of the sort.

Again, Disney is charging for something that is not real. Disney is shuffling Attraction capacity so that certain Guests will wait longer than they have in the past while other Guests will be charged more than they have in the past. The situation is a win-win for Disney. In economics, Enhanced FastPass is imposing what is known as a "negative externality". The parties to the transaction are not taking into account the adverse effect the transaction will have on third parties. Externalities are a very common market failure, so welcome to capitalism, indeed.

Disney is currently rationing Attraction capacity on a first-come, first-served basis. If Disney were to revert to more of a pay-per-play system like The Company had with the "A"-"E" tickets, then wait times would be minimized for everyone. And, such a system would be completely appropriate.

The difference in a pay-per-play example is that Disney would be offering something of real value to Guests in exchange for money, whereas, with Enhanced FastPass, Disney is selling the avoidance of a cost The Company is imposing on its Guests.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-26-2005 at 01:56 AM.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I do agree with you on AAA service...I, too, have been stuck on hold calling roadside assistance for near an hour, and then they finally call a tow truck and it takes another hour for it to arrive...really stupid, since a cop will pull over and call a tow truck for me faster than that...sad. Still, that's not all that applicable here...this has more to do with AAA travel agent ability, which I admittedly know nothing about, since I can book a trip and plane tickets on my own much faster on the internet...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Hooterville, USA

If this "package" wasn't offered to everyone, then be mad. If you choose not to take advantage of it, then too bad. Disney offered me the chance to buy an AP. I did. My wife is a CM, so I get to park free. I live within 1 mile of the park. I got to take the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour free because my wife is a CM. I can go to a Disney store where everything is half off the cost of what they sell it for in DL. I have perks coming out my ears, and I take them! It's called smart shopping!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Wantabe DLRR Engineer

The whole fastpass system should be done away with. But that is a whole other thread.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast