Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Objections to Enhanced FastPass, and Resultant Boycott of A.A.A.

Enhanced FastPass is a privilege Disney sells Guests who book their vacations through A.A.A. These Guests, who also must stay at a Disney property during their visits, receive the ability to wait in multiple "virtual queues" at once by being able to obtain FastPass tickets to an unlimited number of Attractions at the same time.

By using the Enhanced FastPass feature, these Guests effectively cut in front of all the other Guests in line who are being denied the same capability. The Enhanced FastPass users are waiting once for multiple Attractions and are, in so doing, increasing the wait times at the second, third, and fourth Attractions for all the Guests who do not have the Enhanced FastPass feature.

Additionally, these Enhanced FastPass users are depleting the number of available FastPass tickets and forcing their fellow Guests to use stand-by queues, instead, in instances where, otherwise, FastPass tickets would be available.

In a forum on another service, I raised a few of these concerns, and I was inundated with downright hateful replies. MiceChat is different, though. And, I was wondering whether or not other people here similarly disapprove of Disney and A.A.A.'s offering of Enhanced FastPass, as well as of Guest use of the feature, itself.

I have cancelled my A.A.A. credit card and my A.A.A. membership, and I have sent letters to the managements of both companies indicating my disapproval of their practices, as well as of said managements' disregard to the spirit with which Disneyland was founded.

Enhanced FastPass is really no different than the Front of the Line Pass Universal Studios offers. Disney's version is just more discreet and, as such, more insidious.

• ...or just Tonny

Re: Objections to Enhanced FastPass, and Resultant Boycott of A.A.A.

"At Disneyland, every guest should be a V.I.P."

That's all I have to say
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Did you know that Walt Disney has been selling tours of Disneyland since the beginning of the park in 1955, which includes special access to certain attractions...

So maybe you should add Disney to your boycott, since they have been selling front of the line access to just a few selected guests that have paid extra....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

All the other parks do this...Universal has something similar, Six Flags does it...Disney is just jumping on the bandwagon. I've used the enhanced Fastpass feature before, and it is very nice for vacationers. Whereas you APers can go whenever you want, those of us who can only visit once every couple years for a few days have less ability to see everything. Personally, I think anyone who has a Walt Disney Travel Co. package should get the feature. I believe Kevin Yee has stated several times a similar hope. It's a pretty small number of guests who enjoy the AAA feature, so its effects on your ride time are pretty negligible. Further, it's only families with people like me who really benefit from it, since I was willing to take a 15 minute jog around the park while the others in my group sat on a bench and I got FPs for everything. Most people don't do that.

Disney made a corporate alliance w/ AAA and AAA wants something out of that...this encourages bookings for them. I completely understand it. It's no worse than trying to force me to eat inferior McDonald's fries in the parks when Disney fries are better.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Did you know that Walt Disney has been selling tours of Disneyland since the beginning of the park in 1955, which includes special access to certain attractions...

So maybe you should add Disney to your boycott, since they have been selling front of the line access to just a few selected guests that have paid extra....
    If anyone can buy it, then what's the problem?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Oh boy, here we go again... I disagreed with you before on this, and I still do.

I really don't see how this is different from Walt building Club 33 to entertain special guests. Both are for people who are willing to pay more, both are discrete enough so that the average person would not know that they were missing out, and both have a sort of "cost" to the average guest. Enhanced FP (in theory) makes the lines longer, and having Club 33 (in theory) denies us valuable real estate in Disneyland, where we could have another restaurant, shop, or exhibit. (I doubt any attraction could fit, but maybe)
    Last edited by grvtydefy; 10-31-2005 at 09:37 PM.

• Senior Minion

Personally, I love the AAA packages for the Disney resorts, and the enhanced Fastpass works very well, and is a great addition.

If you're not a local AP holder, visiting DLR can be sort of a ride expedition--you have to maximize your ride time and strategize as to how you're going to do that--what rides when, etc. Enhanced Fastpass gives you the ability to see more of what you came for in the limited amount of time you have available to you.

Not to mention all the other wonderful benefits of AAA membership (such as free 100 mile tows). Heck, they insure my house! If someone chooses not to use them or associate with them because of this policy, they're certainly free to--but I'm sticking with them.

• ...or just Tonny

Here's a shocker: Walt didn't get all the answers right. At least that is my belief. I disagree with him on quite a few subjects and this is one of them.

In my opinion, a park, be it a Disney themepark or a "regular" amusement park, should be a place where people can spend a care free day. This includes the lack of social classes, and this means that all people ought to be treated the same. Wether or not special guests being treated differently is obvious to the general public or not does not matter in this case.

Admittedly, being the hypocrite that I am, I did use Universal's and Sux Flags' special access options in California, because I had very limited time in those parks. I don't think I will be doing that again though, it did make me feel uncomfortable. My home park, Walibi, gave me front-of-the-line tickets for 10 rides with my season pass. They're still lying on my desk, unused, and probably will remain there, or at best make a trip to the trash can
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Iron-Clad Allie

You might as well call for a ban on Disneyland Resort Hotels. Guests have received special priveleges for staying at them for years, and rightfully so. The new attractions that EVERYONE enjoys are partially financed by hotel profits. Therefore, your proposed ban would, in effect, translate into a cutback with respect to new rides and shows as well. Yoy need to consider the overall economic impact. Have you ever been a hotel guest?

• ...or just Tonny

You're assuming that without hotel benefits, the hotels wouldn't make as much money as they do. That is a purely hypothetical thing with no base at all. At best one could look at the hotels in Paris, where people are staying wthout any benefits lik that, and are still pretty much full.
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Iron-Clad Allie

There is nothing economically sound about the Disneyland Paris Resort. It has been a poor performer for well over a decade. Besides, guests who pay for higher priced hotels and hotel rooms receive more aminities there too. Hate to burst your bubble, but it is a proven fact that special priveleges drive up the number of guests who stay at Disney hotels. Otherwise, everyone would stay off property. Even some of the "Disney Friendly" off property hotels offer special packages and priveleges in order to induce guests to stay. It's called competition.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-25-2005 at 09:00 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Special privilages accompany many things, and it usually happens when one pays more money.

I wouldn't boycott AAA on this, simply because everyone else does it-it's not fair to just pick a specific target. Don't you love those, "Buy one, get one free!" deals? I could imagine what a delight it must be to get those passes when one spends so much money for their Disney vacation. It's the wheeling and dealing life that companies constantly use.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    There is nothing economically sound about the Disneyland Paris Resort. It has been a poor performer for well over a decade. Besides, guests who pay for higher priced hotels and hotel rooms receive more aminities there too. Hate to burst your bubble, but it is a proven fact that special priveleges drive up the number of guests who stay at Disney Hotels. Otherwise, everyone would stay off property. Even some of the "Disney Friendly" off property hotels offer special packages and priveleges in order to induce guests to stay. It's called competition.
    Yeah, and last I checked, the DLP Hotels don't do that well...one of the major economic problems at DLP is that they built all those freaking hotels so quickly and there are more than they could possibly need. The perks most CERTAINLY increase occupancy rates. It may seem a shock, but people really would not pay $250/night to stay at the PPH if they didn't have little perks like early entry and a private entrance (well, now they use the GCH ones). It is the perks that make WDW able to sustain nearly 30 hotels. Look at WDW's EXTENSIVE Extra Magic Hours perk...all told, in one week, WDW Resort Hotel guests get an extra 16 hours in the parks that other guests don't get, and guest what? WDW Hotels are booked solid. You don't pay Disney rates for nothing. If you don't think there should be a hierarchy in the parks, then everyone better kiss their APs goodbye. Equality would mean everyone pays $56/day, every day, to get into either park. None of this $200 for 50 visits/year garbage. Talk about a class system...I get in with my park hopper for about $30/day, some people pay $56/day, and you AP folks pay as little as $4/day. I think those of us staying in the resorts deserve more than those of you getting into the park for the price of a Big Mac.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Minion

AAA and the Walt Disney Resort package is no different than nearly all the resorts and packages I sell in the travel Industry. It is the way the the tourism trade works.
    I think Pirateslife4me really has it right. I don't really think the numbers of people who even take full advantage of the offer is really that big, because the average person that would be buying a package, will be someone who has never, or an infrequent visitor to the park. We have all seen the stand by lines as we whiz by them, there are vast numbers of people who just don't get the system, don't read the map and guide, and are uninformed. You can bet at least a percentage of the package buyers are in that group. I haven't noticed a difference in my fast pass experience yet, and as a consumer, I'd be back again buying those deals if I knew I was getting a little incentive to pay those hotel prices on a Disney property. You are after the repeat loyality business. Let's face it, There are alot of AP's now, and most are not staying in Disney Resort hotels. It's a good deal for vacationers and a good deal for Disney. I think AAA is still one of the best out there, they get tremendous respect in our industry, and they are just the vendor of choice for Disney. That is the way Everyone does it.

• Minion

It seems a bit silly to me to cancel one's AAA membership because of something as minor as this...

With all the benfits (some that could even potentially save your life) that you get from AAA, NATIONWIDE, it seems funny to cancel because some people et to cut in the front of the line. If that's what you want, that's cool. But you may regret that decision should get stranded on some freeway!

As for the "special" privilages, well what can you do? A lot of families can't afford to eat at the Blue Bayou because of the expensive prices, should we take that out too? What about preferred seating at Fantasmic, Parade of Dreams, or Remember? What about early entry guests from the hotels?

There are many hotels around Disney that operate independantly from Disney. Without perks, why would you stay at a hotel that's twice as expensive?

All in all I think it's ridiculous to get so upset over something so minor and common. If you're paying for something better, then you deserve it. Let's not turn Disneyland into Commiland!

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast