I visited the Disneyland Resort from July 16th until the 22nd. In all of the excitement and anticipation of the Anniversary, I remembered to do the following.
1. Thoroughly enjoy my first walk through the Entrance Plaza. Soaking up the atmosphere and the beauty of the park.
2. Pinched myself as I entered the turnstiles for the first time at Disneyland.
3. Remembered to read the plaque "Here you leave today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasyland.
4. Head for the train station to ride the train around the park. I made my "Jiminy Cricket Connection" by riding the Ward Kimball train.
5. Picked up many park maps and especially cherish the special "July 17th" ones.
6. Visited City Hall many times and enjoyed the bench on the front porch most times with my sandals off.
7. Took many pictures of the - lighted firehouse window - of Walt Disney's apartmment.
8.My first glimpse of the castle and my first walk down Main Street will always be etched in my memory.
9. I remembered to listen in on the party line phone conversations on Main Street, before my vacation was over.
10. I stopped at the hub many times. Remebering that it all started with a mouse. Disneyland is no folly. I had my picture taken at the hub, both professionally and with my own digital camera.
11. I remembered to have my silouhette done. Mickey Mouse, Tinkerbell, and I are all gold.
12. The castle is beautiful, and the topiary swans and wishing well were visited many, many times.
13. I have a photo of the stake that once signified the center of Disneyland - it also includes my shadow.
14. My first morning in Fantasyland includes a ride on Dumbo, Pinocchio, the Carousel, and I definitely enjoyed "spinning on the teacups".
15. I rode Small World twice. One time I plugged my ears, in tribute to my 12 year old grandson, who doesn't appreciate the wonderful repetitive song.
16. I remembered to purchase an autograph book and pen. I got Mickey Mouse's autograph. I accepted, sadly, that I would only see Jiminy in the parade.
17. I remebered to stop at the Opera House. The film with Steve Martin and Donald Duck is great. I spent a lot of time reading and photographing the exhibit.
18. I came hoime with 675 pictures.
19. We remembered to use our Toontown Morning Madness Vouchers.
20. We used Fastpass to ride Splash Mountain. We requested rear seating. We laughed, enjoyed and got wet.
21. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is aptly named.
22. I had trouble finding the entrance to the monorail. I remembered to ask a cast member, and rode it many times during my trip. I put on my "best park manners" when speaking to cast members and fellow guests.
23. I will remember the red car that I drove on Autopia. I did not bump anyone, and was only bumped once myself. So I feel I deserve my special Autopia lisence.
24. I did not ask for a waterside table at Blue Bayou, due to the crowded conditions of the Anniversary Day, but I absolutely loved my meal and the everflowing Mint Juleps.
25. I cruised on the Jungle Cruise, toured on Star Tours and Splashed happily down the mountain to my laughing place.
26. We remembered to pause at the special Happiest Place on Earth photographs and took many photos of many of them.
27. I purchased the "I was there on July 17th pin" and I will never forget standing 5 hours in that line.
28. I did not see all 50 hidden golden Mickeys. I maybe only actively looked for half. (Hey, I was too busy having fun, to remember this one).
29. Many times I stopped and just sat. I needed to rest my tired feet and drink water. I noticed many very happy Disneylanders.
30. I enjoyed my first Churro at Town Square, sitting on that bench by City Hall.
31.. I have several photos of the Dapper Dans, who did not forget their Barber Pole Prop, when they finished their beautiful harmony. I caught the end of Bill Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe, while enjoying a cold rootbeer.
32. I was "too chicken" to ride SPace Mountain, but I have several photos of it at night. Forgot to get a daytime shot.
33. Everyone else rode the Matterhorn on both sides, while I did other stuff.
34. I only spoke with one other Mice Chatter. Tinkerbell noticed the MiceChat logo that I had ironed on my "homemade Disneyland Hat".
35. I got 36 of the dated Disneyland pennies.
36. I enjoyed putting my pennies in the special book that I remembered to buy.
37. Riding Buzz Lightyear one evening, I remebered how bad I was, and also remembered just how much fun that ride really is. ( I rode it first at WDW) Disneyland's is so much better!
38. My last morning at the park was spent eating breakfast at Riverbelle Terrace, taking the raft to Tom Sawyer's Island, Riding the Mark Twain, and taking one last, almost tearful stroll down Main Street. My camera clicking all the way out.
39. After watching Fantasmic from directly behind Pirates of the Carribean, I was able to walk directly on that great ride. I remember hearing Walt Disney describing it on television.
40. I was amazed at Haunted Mansion, and it almost wants you to take the 999 grinning ghosts up on their offer.
41. My many pin purchases made my souvenir bag a heavy thing to carry back to Chicago.
42. Entering the park on the 17th, I was very touched at the greeting by the cast members. The "50" crowd, was "one mighty crowd".
43.I did not cry when I saw Jiminy on the Pinocchio float. I was too busy taking pictures. I did see the parade 4 times.
44. The park is extra special at night - a real sight to remember.
45. Every hour of my week long vacation was filled with Disney Magic I will always remember.
46. I stood to watch Fantasmic twice. Now remember this - Fantasmic is over. I am headed down Thunder Mountain Trail toward Fantasyland Land.
Julie Andrews is narrating the fireworks. I look up and see Tinkerbell Fly. She was so beautiful and so close, I thought I could touch her.. I continued the walk through Tomorrowland, not stopping until I hit the Mattehorn at the otherside and could almost see the castle. I look up again and Tinkerbell flys a second time. I will Remember that always. It was my finale for my Anniversary evening. My special Tinkerbell moment.
47. We did remember to see the fireworks in front of the castle. We decided to Sit at Town Square. The Kids could see everything, except the Matterhorn. It was amazing and Spectacular.
48. I must remember to tell you about my - "Disney Triple" - I watched the Electrical Parade at DCA, walked down Main Street and managed to stand behind a tree, seeing the Matterhorn and the Castle and viewing the fireworks and then following the crowd to the 10:30 Fantasmic show. Three wonderful experiences all in one evening. My Disney triple.
49. I will always remember this "first time Disneyland Vacation". Best vacation of my life.
50. Always remember that "When you wish upon a Star".......
I now know the spell that Disneyland has put on many people. I felt it the moment I first glimpsed the park signs. I felt it the minute I went through
the turnstiles. I now know why some people call it home. I will go back. I will come home.