Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Why Do Certain People Dislike Disneyland?

We all know people who dislike Disneyland to one extent or another. So, what specific reasons have you heard cited for the general dissatisfaction that these people experience?

• I may be nutz...but...

Re: Why Do Certain People Dislike Disneyland?

When we used to go when I was a kid,(1960's) my dad hated being hit in the ankles by the strollers. That is why he will not go back ever again. That was his reason he gave me. My mom on the other hand still loves it as much as I do!
    susa

Oh you know, how Disneyland is a simulacra that obscures the Disneyfication of America. Which is to say, when you enter Disneyland you are being told that you're leaving the real world for fantasy, but the truth is the real world no longer exists. Things like that.

The reason a friend of mine once gave me:

"I've already been there, I don't need to go again. It's the SAME."

• Make it Cool

I don't trust people who don't like Disneyland. There's something wrong with them and they should be avoided at all cost.

However, I've encountered several people who say they don't like it, or look at me funny when I say I do, and that I go often. Many times I have brought these people to the park at my own expense, and nine times out of ten, they love it.

I've found that generally the people who say they do't like it (even after visiting with me) feel threatened by letting go of their fragile sense of "adulthood" and are terrified of people losing respect for them if they are seen letting their hair down at "a place for kids."

On a more controversial note, I've also noticed that the same type of people who are homophobic also claim to "hate" Disneyland. I think it all comes down to being emotionally weak, and having your fragile sense of self that is propped up by feeling superior threatened.
    Last edited by composerboy; 12-06-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Someone once told me that he thought Disneyland is "too happy." I didn't question him further, though.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    We all know people who dislike Disneyland to one extent or another. So, what specific reasons have you heard cited for the general dissatisfaction that these people experience?
    Unhappy childhood.
    Snobbishness.
    Low self-esteem.
    Too cool for DL.
    Angry with the direction it's heading and longing for the days of yore (*cough* Merlin Jones *cough*).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• =)

I've never really gotten a straight answer from a person who hated the place, but just yesterday I was talking to a couple of college students who simply don't care about the place anymore. They said that they enjoyed it when they were little, but their tastes "matured" to favor the more thrill-based offerings of Knott's and so forth. Makes me a little sad, but to each his own...

I'd imagine most people who actually dislike Disneyland do so because of misconceptions or unusually bad experiences. Crowding, commercialization, and the little-kiddish feel of areas like Toontown and Fantasyland could probably be turn-offs for some people. Okay, a lot of people. But all of us accept these as small problems to ignore as best we can. Why can't they?

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

the one i get the most is, "it's for kids"

then they tell me that they go to six flags, which i then inform them that six flags sucks
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    I think it all comes down to being emotionally weak, and having your fragile sense of self that is propped up by feeling superior threatened.
    Interesting. I think it's also interesting that we've been having a lot of discussion about the overcommercialization of Christmas and the points that have been brought up in that regard in many ways for me connect to this topic.

I think that for some, while the "pitch" of Disneyland is that you come and get lost in fantasy and childhood joy, the reality is that you come and find that it's only a veneer and the "real" thrust of Disneyland is to seperate you from your money. At every turn the magic is coopted by the commercial. My father-in-law, and others that hold this opinion often use the word cloying.

1.causing or tending to cause disgust or aversion through excess: a perfume of cloying sweetness. 2.overly ingratiating or sentimental.

So I think for them, it's two-fold, it's TOO MUCH sugar, and it's only there to get you to spend more and more.

I personally don't hold this opinion, I can see why they look at it that way, but I'm more prone to emotionality and fantasy. I love the castle, the characters, the pirates, the little kids that laugh as they can barely contain themselves.

I think for many, the over-the-top sparkle of both Disneyland, and in the larger sense, Christmas, overwhelm the goodwill and good feelings both of these institutions are supposed to be about.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Yknow Prag this thread was a good idea.

Could be any number of things, traumatic childhood event, thinking you're too cool or its too childish, disgust at what you think its become and how it deviated from the old days could all be reasons why to dislike Disneyland

It all comes downto personal tastes, you know from when I first read their posts I would have thought Steve and Fo'c hate Disneyland but they really dont, they're just dissapointed with what they percieve is that the park is going in the wrong direction, tho thats a topic for another thread. They dont hate it they still enjoy it from what I've come to believe.

Others who believe that may not like it anymore, its just a matter of opinion and experience

My elderly great aunt thinks Disneyland requires too much walking. And, she is not very amenable to the idea of renting a wheelchair out of pride or vanity, I suppose

• no flash photography...

the reasons I've heard recently, ...it's for kids and tourists. To crowded...it's a theme park....

• =)

I forgot to mention I have a peer who refuses to go at all simply because it's "an amusement park." He's never been and he refuses to try it because...well, because it's "an amusement park." Sigh....

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Some people would complain if they got a free car that the gas mileage was bad. Most people I've encountered that "hate" Disneyland aren't big fans of many things at all.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast