Thread: Holiday Idea

Holiday Idea

During this time of year when many of us take pleasure in giving to others, I came up with an idea that I do not think has ever been discussed before. If i am completely unrealistic let me know.

Obviously Christmas Toy Drives are huge this time of year. But why not have a Disneyland Passport Drive. In my idea, instead of donating toys, people could donate Disneyland Passports to needy children. An organization could be set up where people can buy tickets to be distributed to kids whose families could not afford the cost of admission to the parks. What could brighten the Christmas of a child more than a visit to Disneyland?

I know if a program like this existed, I'd be happy to donate and I am sure others would as well. I have been fortunate to have hundreds of cherished memories at Disneyland, and this would be just a small chance to "give back."

I have not thought out the logistics of such a program, but I doubt it would be that hard to put together. Your thoughts?

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Holiday Idea

Honestly, I'd rather give necessities to those who are needy then something that can only be used once.

Some of the departments at the DLR adopt a needy family for the holidays through some organization... where Cast Members find out what each of the family members would want for the holidays. Most of the time it's necessary things like clothes, canned foods, and play things (I personally consider at least having one toy to play with to be necessity for children... fun is a necessity at their age, y'know?). Some of the lists that I've seen are just stuff that I totally take for granted and it really makes me sad.

Basic necessities go so much further, yah? If something like this is done, then yah... a free day at the Park might be cool but I think the bulk of the concentration should be on getting these families the basic necessities needed to function in everyday life.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

oh i agree... I kind of meant this as an alternative to toy drives. I know people wholspend quite a bit purchasing toys for toy drives. I just think something like this could mean a whole lot more to a child than receiving a toy.

• Magic Making

What about they could get a free gift while in the park. They can choose from anything they want, as part of the passport gift.

• Disney Nerd

Another Idea: (will never happen in today's climate, but could be neat)

Close the park to regular guests one day a year. Allow local (and by local i mean SoCal and parts of Arizona and Nevada, farther if they are willing to get them out here) children, maybe orphans, other children in need, a free day in the park. Obviously there would need to be chaperones with them. The chaps could be their parents, foster care worker, volunteers, etc. Keep a few restaurants open for free meals whenever they are hungry, a few ODV carts for snacking. Keep a few shops open and allow them to choose one item, anything to go home with. Or since that could be scary expensive, maybe keep the shops closed and have the festival area filled with different items and let that be their "shopping experience"

Of course this would require Disney to run most of the park without profit. It would be a fun day for some kids who need a little joy in their lives.

On top of that guests of previous days, DCA guests, and CM's could donate day-to-day items to be passed out to the kids and their families.

A 2-birds with one stone kinda deal.

• decorating

Foster care, in theory, would be great to treat to Disneyland. (married to a foster kid, know exactly how they are treated. I've heard some sad, sad stories.)
    In San Bernardino county alone, around 7,000 kids.
    plus adults.
    Average attendance, maybe, 30,000? (I really don't have an idea.)
    Also, some kids have emotional/behavioral issues, there could be a security issue.
    I could completely understand donating some passes to a foster family would be good. If someone knew a good family to take, an office getting together and sending them would be awesome.