Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some General Disneyland Questions

Just some general Disneyland questions:
    What was on the upper level of the Starcade?
    Where were the speedramps to board the Peoplemover?
    What attractions used to have Fastpass but don't anymore (ex. Star Tours, non HMH Haunted Mansion?
    Where was the snoring bear (Rufus) in Bear Country?
    Where can you still see the Packmule trails in Frontierland?
    Where is the jumping fish in BTMRR from the Mine Train?
    Is the Tomorrowland train station the Viewliner station that was moved?
    Where is the base of the House of the Future at the entrance to Tomorrowland?
    I was also wondering what other "nods to the past" there are that haven't been mentioned on the Yesterland page.

Thanks in advance

• no flash photography...

Re: Some General Disneyland Questions

What was on the upper level of the Starcade? an aracade
    Where were the speedramps to board the Peoplemover? i think you boarded it up where the rocket rods use to be.
    What attractions used to have Fastpass but don't anymore (ex. Star Tours, non HMH Haunted Mansion? winnie the pooh
    Where was the snoring bear (Rufus) in Bear Country? In a rock as you walk down by the river towarss the hungry bear.
    Where can you still see the Packmule trails in Frontierland? IDK
    Where is the jumping fish in BTMRR from the Mine Train? I think it was where the mine car is now missing and there is a tunnel there. Across for BTMR.
    Is the Tomorrowland train station the Viewliner station that was moved? IDK
    Where is the base of the House of the Future at the entrance to Tomorrowland? IDK, this stuff is way before my time..

• =)

I don't believe so.

What attractions used to have Fastpass but don't anymore (ex. Star Tours, non HMH Haunted Mansion?
    Pirates is another example.

I haven't seen it for myself, but I know exactly where it is. There's currently a little pond there with statues and so forth. The side closest to Tomorrowland is where you want to look.

I don't think you can. The entire north part of Frontierland is completely and totally different from how it was back then. No part of the old Mine Train area was left untouched.

Hmmm...other nods to the past...well, the Eeyore sign in the Indy queue is an oft-cited example. I happen to be partial to the ballroom in the Haunted Mansion, which isn't too far from where you used to be able to play baseball in the old Holidayland area...

Okay, that's stretching it. Definitely not intentional. But it's true that the HM show building isn't far from that spot!

• no flash photography...

the small buildings in BTMR that the train passes as it comes back to the stations is where the pack mules used to be started from. Or so I've heard...I don't know if it's true. I'm sure others would know. I'm a DL light fan....or maybe medium..

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    the small buildings in BTMR that the train passes as it comes back to the stations is where the pack mules used to be started from. Or so I've heard...I don't know if it's true. I'm sure others would know. I'm a DL light fan....or maybe medium..
    Not in the same exact spot though. Before the building were moved to where they are in Big Thunder, the Pack mules did travel behind Rainbow Ridge (aka the big Thunder buildings before Big Thunder)

I read about the Packmule trails in 101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland, so I don't know.

Some more questions though:
    What is left of the Rocket Rod queue tunnel?
    Where are the sun and moon from Circlevision in BLAB?
    When did the Peoplemover cars change from one color to the white stripe?
    Where was the Space Place resteraunt that was mentioned in the 1987 guide?
    Is it true there were surprise Fastpasses for HISTA in Star Tours?
    Is there still a miniature Atomobile in one of the overhead baskets in the Star Tours queue?

Thanks again!

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by hbwriter View Post
    They're right above the light tunnel before you get your picture taken.

Basically if you look back above the light tunnel when you get your picture taken, you'll see them.

However, you need lights to see them as they're totally in the dark.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Koubu Pilot

What was on the upper level of the Starcade?
    Where were the speedramps to board the Peoplemover?
    Where was the snoring bear (Rufus) in Bear Country?
    Where is the jumping fish in BTMRR from the Mine Train?
    I was also wondering what other "nods to the past" there are that haven't been mentioned on the Yesterland page.

Thanks in advance
    Upper level of Starcade was once the place to be for air hockey and retro games like Tron. Today, it's empty. If you're waiting in line for Space Mountain, you can see the old X-Wing hanging that used to be in the main room of Star Trader. Starcade is also home to 2 of the last speedramps in the park (the last surviving one is in Haunted Mansion).

The center of the tower was where the People Mover speedramps were located. The attraction entrance was under the track and consisted of 2 speedramps to go up and 2 to go down. If you're curious, you went through the turnstile and then the queue made a U turn and one more U turn and fed the first ramp. The top of the ramp made it most of the way up, then came one more U turn to go up the mini speedramp, at which point, would be facing the inbound/outbound track. The queue then veered left and followed the curve of the platform before making on last hairpin to feed the turntable. The mini speedramps were right next to each other and on the outside of the 2 ramps were the 2 longer ramps.

Haunted Mansion Holiday and it's a small world holiday have Fastpass only at that time of year. Pirates and Star Tours both abandoned their fastpass machines. If you walk toward Splash, you'll see an empty area on the left between Splash and Haunted Mansion. When Pooh first opened, it had fastpass. The Splash fastpass distro was moved to that area so that Pooh could use the original Splash fastpass distro. When Pooh's fastpass was discontinued, the Splash fastpass distro returned to its original location. Muppetvision also used to have fastpass, but its distro area is now a stroller parking lot. It's Tough to Be a Bug also used to use it, too. Like Muppets, it was converted to stroller parking. Also, when the Monorail station was closed off for construction of its ramps and further Nemo related construction, the fastpass for Autopia was closed off until that was done since the ramp leading to the Autopia's queue was 2 way traffic.

While the cave where you heard Rufus snoring is no longer there, you still hear the same snoring coming from Brer Bear's house when you pass it while riding Splash Mountain.

I'm not sure about the old pack mule trails as they were before my time (born in '81).

The jumping fish are, or were, I don't know since it's been a couple years since going down the river for me, near the old mine train and tunnel area.

The Sub queue/Monorail station is on the site of the old Viewliner platform. If any of the structure was salvaged for the train station, I don't know.

You'll find the old House of the Future's foundation near the Triton's Garden area.

Ever notice how you go around a planter in Toad's queue? That was where one of the Skyway tower supports was located. It wouldn't surprise me the actual footing is still there because I think the plant there now is potted.

• Koubu Pilot

I read about the Packmule trails in 101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland, so I don't know.

Some more questions though:
    What is left of the Rocket Rod queue tunnel?
    When did the Peoplemover cars change from one color to the white stripe?
    Where was the Space Place resteraunt that was mentioned in the 1987 guide?
    Is it true there were surprise Fastpasses for HISTA in Star Tours?
    Is there still a miniature Atomobile in one of the overhead baskets in the Star Tours queue?

Thanks again!
    I don't think there's much left of the Rod's queue tunnel since they flattened that area a little to shift Tomorrowland Terrace's tables that way to clear the north side in preparation for the people going to Nemo.

The PeopleMover changed colors roughly 1987/1988. At some point, both paintjobs were seen circling the track. The PeopleMover was the only Tomorrowland attraction repainted to match the Mark V monorails, which were being converted from the old Mark IIIs during the the same time frame. Skyway and Autopia retained their 60s colors. In case you're wondering, the PeopleMover trains were Red, Blue, Yellow, and Turquoise. The new ones were gray and the stripes were Red, Blue, White, and Purple. Autopia remained Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green. The Pirated of the Carribean's fleet of boats were those same colors until being repainted in 2004-2005. Skyway remained Red, Blue, Yellow, Turquoise, and Orange until they closed.

The Space Place consisted of the Space Mountain queue and Redd Rockett's dining patio. The order windows were covered over by wall. In fact, if you're going to ride Space Mountain or get a fastpass for it, you WILL SEE where they used to be. Notice how there are lit graphics showing space? That's where you would have glanced up at the food menu. Right below them you would have walked up to order and pick up your food. You dine where the Redd Rockett patio is or you can go up the ramp and eat up top. Remember, prior to the abysmal Tomorrowland '98 redo, you used to access Space Mountain via speedramps.

One of the Disneyland fansites showed a pic of the surprise HISTA fastpass along with their Star Tours fastpass.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

awsome thread i never knew some of this
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• is too darn hot.

To answer one question, the jumping fish are across from the exit of BTMRR in the pond under the lit mine train tunnel. There are three of them, I think, in the pond and they jump at set intervals. Just look for movement in the pond. If you see movement that's generally a fish. Watch where it was and it'll jump in a few seconds.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Closed Account

Datameister is correct. Tomorrowland Station is a different station than the Viewliner station. The two stations existed simultaneously for a short period, and both can be seen in certain photos of Tomorrowland.

However, the mistake is an easy one to make: They were both virtually identical in design.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Thanks in advance
    Here is picture of the base of the House of the Future.

That green pain concrete is the what is left of House of the Future

most of th question was answer.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Here's a picture of the pond where you can find the old MTTNW (Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland) jumping fish:

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    The Space Place consisted of the Space Mountain queue and Redd Rockett's dining patio. The order windows were covered over by wall. In fact, if you're going to ride Space Mountain or get a fastpass for it, you WILL SEE where they used to be. Notice how there are lit graphics showing space? That's where you would have glanced up at the food menu. Right below them you would have walked up to order and pick up your food. You dine where the Redd Rockett patio is or you can go up the ramp and eat up top. Remember, prior to the abysmal Tomorrowland '98 redo, you used to access Space Mountain via speedramps.
    I completely forgot about The Space Place! That whole little corner of Tomorrowland was so different back in the 1980's. You had the Starcade on both levels, which was still incredibly fun since arcades were so new, and The Space Place and the always-great Captain EO. I remember seeing people's birthday parties down below and being really jealous that they got to celebrate their birthday at Disneyland.

It's little things missing like the thrill of Starcade in the 80's, PeopleMover, Skyway, Mission To Mars, and The Space Place that really turn Tomorrowland into a downer. None of the major attractions are missing anymore, but so many of the smaller ones are missing that it really adds up. I mean, no one went into Tomorrowland specifically to ride PeopleMover or the Skyway, but it added so much to the overall feel.

Thanks for reminding me about The Space Place. It was so tucked away and minor, but to me it was a part of my favorite corner of Tomorrowland (since I was always too scared to ride Space Mountain with my family, I spent MANY hours around this area as a kid)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast