• "I Break Things"

A glimpse of the Future

Some of this was already posted previously. I've read a lot of concept threads for Tomorrowland and a few asked what I meant by "Neo Classical Future" and "Jules Verne style"... well anyone see the Golden Compass? That is the future I would love to see in Tomorrowland. Technically it is an alternate reality but my point remains... Airships, self powered carriages... the amazing architecture of the past combined with glass and steel to make a classic of modern structures. Just thought I would toss that out there
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: A glimpse of the Future

so when is this happening?

• Down Pluto!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Some of this was already posted previously. I've read a lot of concept threads for Tomorrowland and a few asked what I meant by "Neo Classical Future" and "Jules Verne style"... well anyone see the Golden Compass? That is the future I would love to see in Tomorrowland. Technically it is an alternate reality but my point remains... Airships, self powered carriages... the amazing architecture of the past combined with glass and steel to make a classic of modern structures. Just thought I would toss that out there
    Uhh, thats Jules Verne style for you. Kinda Steampunkish. Maybe just done up in a different color pallet from the 1998 stuff, but its still the same basic idea.

• Small Worlds of Walt

A steampunk style Tomorrowland Station would fit in perfectly along side the steam trains. Just before the locomotive approaches giant steam operated gears could start cranking, jets of steam blasting up into the air, giant spinning ball governors, and steam gauges going nuts could all give a mini show for the crowd waiting to board the next train.

• is too darn hot.

Look at Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris and Mysterious Island at Tokyo DisneySea.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I meant a classical look at a futuristic theme, not "lets paint everything in pastel and gold and replace classic attractions with junk!"

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Uhh, thats Jules Verne style for you. Kinda Steampunkish. Maybe just done up in a different color pallet from the 1998 stuff, but its still the same basic idea.
    Not so much Steampunkish, I was referring mainly to a combination of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne as far as a Victorian style theme of a Future. Sort of looking at the future and combining it with the past. Color scheme would need to be more along the lines of blue, white, silver and gray, which would allow the plants and attractions to be the main splashes of color. Use outdoor LCD displays to convey a variety of messages and futuristic ads, place a similar carriage type vehicle on the PM tracks (no not rods) and toss some LED's on the rims and blacklights underneath the Autopia cars.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I meant a classical look at a futuristic theme, not "lets paint everything in pastel and gold and replace classic attractions with junk!"

Not so much Steampunkish, I was referring mainly to a combination of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne as far as a Victorian style theme of a Future. Sort of looking at the future and combining it with the past. Color scheme would need to be more along the lines of blue, white, silver and gray, which would allow the plants and attractions to be the main splashes of color. Use outdoor LCD displays to convey a variety of messages and futuristic ads, place a similar carriage type vehicle on the PM tracks (no not rods) and toss some LED's on the rims and blacklights underneath the Autopia cars.
    that sounds a heck of a lot better than what we have now. Just as long as there isn't any bronze, myy idea is to make the coloring be white and with blue accents everywere. I'd enjoy the LED's and LCD's(in HD?) and if they had ads for futuristic buisinises(sp) that would be awsome!! I have a question, waht do you think they should do to the murals? I think they should replace them with real architecture.

• BATTLE COMBINER!

This is a great idea, it would be awesome. I always loved steam punk and the stuff you are talking about. But that really classifies as another park, I think Tommorow Land fits as 50s-60s retro future, just still stylish.

• Koubu Pilot

Your description of the future reminds me of some of the Final Fantasy games since there are airships, giant spinning gears, etc.

I think the 50s and 60s retro future seems to represent the land's look and style as well as optimism about the future.

• Banned User

Heck, even if TL @ DL was designed half as decently as WDW's version (and the east coast one is superior to the west coast version as it currently stands) I would be happier.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I just want the elements of motion and height in TL.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I haven't seen the Golden Compass -- I think that's a wait for the DVD for me. But I do see what you are saying. And I am not sure that the Golden Compass is the look maybe to go for as there are others out there.

When you said neo-classical the first thing that popped in my mind was more like Naboo in the 3 most recent Star Wars films. But a look that I think would be better is more from Meet The Robinsons. Tomorrowland already has a lot of faux butresses, protruding walls, columns, and roof-lines to which art deco motifs can be applied. And it would be more along the lines of Meet The Robinsons which is a Disney movie.