Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Perspective about DisneyLand today vs. "the past"

I must say after reading through most of Disneyland:The Nickel tour written by the late by Bruce Gordon and David Mumford I have gained a new appreciation for the Disneyland of today.

While looking at pictures taken in the park from opening day 1955 till now, I really appreciate much more at how beautiful our park looks now with all the trees and incredible landscaping etc. I mean up until 1983 Fantasyland looked pretty crappy, like a cheap carnival. Today Fantasyland is just beautiful! The facades to all the attractions are incredibly detailed and wonderfully themed. I think I can honestly say Walt would have been proud to see such a beautiful FantasyLand. Have any of you seen the Canals before story land was really all made up, it was a boat that went through canals with dirt on both sides, nothing to really look at. It is also interesting to see that since day 1 TommorowLand has always had problems with the attractions and theming! Here we are 54years later and still dealing with TommorowLand! Anyways, I know there are tons of things we would like to see happen but I just personally want to remind myself that we really have such a special magical place here in Anaheim, DisneyLand is incredible and it really looks fantastic and I can honestly say that while there were certainly many shops and attractions in the years that have gone by that I wish were still there, I have to stop and remember that from the landscaping and look of the park now we are truly lucky to get to experience such a beautiful park in its current formation. It really is easy to take things for granted but I have a much better perspective after looking at the park evolve from the 1950's till now, I am just so excited about whats to come.
    Just wanted to share that with you all.
    Perhaps you feel the same way.
    Last edited by CAspace; 12-09-2007 at 11:26 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Perspective about DisneyLand today vs. "the past"

I agree CASpace. I'm hoping the same will be true on CA Adventure in a decade or 2.

Smile Re: Perspective about DisneyLand today vs. "the past"

It will be amazing to see what the Imagineers come up with on the DCA redux! I really think they will get it right this time around because now they have the support of the head honcho Bob Iger and our crown prince John Lassetter. Things are looking up!
    Its will be great to see this transition of DCA from the ugly duckling into the golden swan happen literally right before our eyes! How lucky we are to see this and have stories to tell the youngins in a decades time!

• =)

It's amazing how much Disneyland has changed visually. The trees and foliage--especially the stuff that's been there for a long while--really make an ENORMOUS impact on the feel and look of the park. It's another thing DCA's lacking in for the time being. The thing is, DCA wasn't built with room for trees like these to grow in. Honestly, I'd rather look at the circa-2000 concrete jungle of DCA than the circa-1955 mudhole of Disneyland, but the thing is, DCA isn't going to be able to graduate from "concrete jungle" without some changes. Unbeknownst to Paul Pressler, concrete is not an ideal environment for plants.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a DCA bash. Bottom line: Disneyland has indeed grown more and more beautiful over time. It's had ups and downs, but I'd wager that its net visual movement has always been toward increasing beauty, comfort, and fun. Those of us who occasionally start bashing areas like Paradise Pier (guilty) really should remind ourselves that the pre-1983 Fantasyland didn't look much better, with the obvious exception of the castle.

Tomorrowland's an interesting one...yes, it's always had problems. From day one, literally. But I firmly believe that it had its visual/thematic peak in the late 80s or early 90s. I definitely like some things about its current state--in fact, I wouldn't really want to trade modern Tomorrowland for 1980s Tomorrowland, if only because I love the current Space Mountain too much--but it still needs a lot of work.

• Minion

Perspective is overrated. Disney is about emotional response.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    It is also interesting to see that since day 1 TommorowLand has always had problems with the attractions and theming! Here we are 54years later and still dealing with TommorowLand!
    Wow, Walt was a pure genius! He accurately predicted that Tomorrowland would have problems in The Land of Tomorrow!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Tomorrowland's an interesting one...yes, it's always had problems. From day one, literally. But I firmly believe that it had its visual/thematic peak in the late 80s or early 90s. I definitely like some things about its current state--in fact, I wouldn't really want to trade modern Tomorrowland for 1980s Tomorrowland, if only because I love the current Space Mountain too much--but it still needs a lot of work.
    Me, i'd love the Tomorrowland from the 80's back. just my opinion though

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Perspective is overrated. Disney is about emotional response.

it's also growing and changing.....not staying the same.

I wouldn't ever want DL to change back, even a few years. Every day DL gets better and more interesting if nothing else. Ones who cannot see the forest for the trees, make me so sad because they miss completely what walt wanted DL to be. Sure it was an escape to the past but the park itself was never to be stale or outdated for the sake of nostalgia.

• Minion

True. But that only works if the new material is of sufficient artistic, creative and experiential quality, fun and wonder.

If it's just franchise flogging chintz - - who cares if it's new?

Here's to hoping the quality is on its way up under the return of animator/artist/storyteller guidance.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post

I wouldn't ever want DL to change back, even a few years. Every day DL gets better and more interesting if nothing else. Ones who cannot see the forest for the trees, make me so sad because they miss completely what walt wanted DL to be. Sure it was an escape to the past but the park itself was never to be stale or outdated for the sake of nostalgia.
    "I love the nostalgic myself."

--Walt Disney

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post

In agreement with you regarding the non-static nature of Disneyland, and the marketing concepts that demand the 'new' in order to maintain a company's shelf-life. However, 'for the sake of nostalgia' should not be lightly dismissed, or perceived as an anchor holding DL back. Its success is built on 'nostalgia'--the revisiting of touchstones, and the desire to pass those memories on to the next generation while instilling in them their own unique sense of 'nostalgia', that will be passed on to the following generation, and the one after that. 'Nostalgia' is the engine that drives DL, IMO.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a DCA bash. Bottom line: Disneyland has indeed grown more and more beautiful over time.

I was thinking quite the opposite. Disneyland took a while to grow into the place it is today. We'd all like DCA to do the same so we can tell our kids what it was like back in the 90s. LOL

Not a bash at all, just a wonderful wish.

• Banned User

I was saying that just because ones are attached to something doesn't warrant it a life time place in DL. A perfect example of this is Adventureland's Treehouse. I personally loved the film "Swiss Family Robinson" and was sad to see the treehouse be replaced, but by no means is the new treehouse infereir. It's theming is spectacular as is it's new entrance and ambiance is a nice addition to Adventureland. A Family I know went recently for the first time and one of the first things my friend said to me, was how much he liked the treehouse. amazing isn't it how when not blinded by nostalgia ones are able to like the new reguardless of the old.

Like the author of the thread said, Perspective has an awful lot to do with how things are viewed, and when that disneygeek nostalgia (which we all have in bounds) is calmed down you can see that the new can be just as good as the old.

• =)

I was thinking quite the opposite. Disneyland took a while to grow into the place it is today. We'd all like DCA to do the same so we can tell our kids what it was like back in the 90s. LOL
    I'm a little confused why you're saying this is the opposite of what I said. I'd really like for DCA to continue growing into a better and better place, and I think it will--but I don't foresee wonderful old growth sprouting through the concrete. Areas like the Jungle Cruise and ROA add a much needed sense of naturalism and contrast to the more architecture-focused (and still beautiful!) areas like NOS and southeast Frontierland. DCA is almost entirely architecture-based, which is a less successful tactic than DL's moderation, if you ask me.

I would posit that the original DL was uglier in many ways than the original DCA. (With the exception of the castle and Main Street, naturally.) But DL was built with plenty of open, unused spaces where trees have since grown in wonderful ways. In a way, I think, this expanded DL's original potential far beyond what the designers of DCA allowed. But then again, opening DCA with bare, muddy riverbanks and purposely underutilized areas would have been a financially risky move in anyone's book--not to mention the penny-pinching administration that was in power back then.

I'm really just throwing thoughts out there. You tell me...which is better: to open a fundamentally disappointing park with lots of room for improvement and growth, or to open a "not bad" park with a little bit of room for change?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm a little confused why you're saying this is the opposite of what I said.
    No Data, we're on the same page. I was argeeing that this is not a bash DCA thread it's quite the opposite. It kinda like comparing Disneyland to an ugly duckling at first that really blossomed and hoping the same for DCA.

That's all.

Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast