Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Disneyland Shops and Restaurants Be Attractions in Themselves?

While bad food at bad restaurants and bad merchandise in bad shops can affect main-gate sales negatively, is the opposite also true?

Can certain shops and restaurants drive main-gate sales? Why? Or, why not? And, can the more general activities of shopping and dining drive people to purchase gate admission?

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Re: Can Disneyland Shops and Restaurants Be Attractions in Themselves?

I would definitely consider the Blue Bayou an attraction. I don't know about the food but the atmosphere is very unique.
    Foolish Mortal

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I do not think shopping and dining could drive admission sales. Far too many places, include the short walk away Downtown Disney, offer shopping and dining entirely free of admission. Offering a higher quality experience may very well be beneficial in keeping guests within Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.

• Just this guy......

The only restaurant that I can think of that drives admission sales is Club 33.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I'd say a shopping/dinning experience that includes "attraction level entertainment" could boost gate numbers. Establishments such as "The Rain Forest Cafe" have shown that the audience will show up even with a modest level of showmanship. Lazyboy970 is correct though...with entertainment like RFC and ESPN sitting in DTD for "free" it would make it tough to justify spending money on a ticket to specifically just go and eat or shop in the park.

Shopping/dining with an entertainment element would definately enhance the visit for guests, I have no doubt. But if you meant would it attract more people through the gates specifically for that dining/shopping experience I would say no unless it was EXTREMLY unique in some way.

Maybe not so much at Disneyland, but I know eating at Mythos in Universal's Islands of Adventure is as much a Must-Do for me as The Adventures of Spiderman or The Incredible Hulk..

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I don't think that incidental dining or shopping inside a primarily entertainment venue would drive the gate enough to spend large amounts of targeted advertising on it, but it certainly does have an effect on the overall numbers...

There's that $65 "Cover Charge" plus $11 parking just to go shopping that many people would think twice to "just" go out for dinner or to pick up a few gifts.

But if we are talking DLR here, you have a few unusual dynamics. They have the opportunity to create truly unique venues that can't be duplicated elsewhere, like Blue Bayou. If they can make the steak as good as the sizzle, they have something - but reports have the food and service as variable, sometimes great, sometimes so-so, and that isn't what you should hear about a premium venue.

Problem being they don't have the capacity to add more business at BB, they're usually packed to the point of a line for people holding 'Priority Seating' reservations. There's no room for expansion, to drive up the year-to-year numbers.

Now if they put the Tahitian Terrace or Big Thunder Ranch back together as premium venues, put together a good dinner show and gave people an experience you simply can't get elsewhere, that would be worth some advertising to fill the seats...

And if the stores brought back unique Disneyland specific merchandise that wasn't available anywhere else, that people wanted to buy enough to make a special trip (and stay for the day in the park as a bonus), that would also drive the gate to an extent. But you'd see more of that in the store sales numbers, as those particular items "flew off the shelves".

All those elements as a whole drive the gate. That's why Walt didn't want to put too much emphasis on the numbers from any one segment, and make every individual attraction "live or die" on their numbers. They might "lose money" operating the Main St. Vehicles and the Horsecars, but they set the mood and drive the overall numbers.

Sorry this sounded kind of Business School-ish, but that's the only way the starched shirts hiding in their backstage offices will get the message...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

When I was younger I had a friend whos Mom would go to Disneyland just to buy a lot of fudge. While I'm sure this was very rare, good food and unique shopping options would certainly help, not hurt, the ticket sales.

• DL Nerd

I dunno.. I could watch the lady who does the silhouette cut-outs for hours.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Future Imagineer!!

^ omg....that is soooo amazing how they do that!

haha i dont know if you were being serious or not...but hey that stuff is cool

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by MarenBoBarren View Post

haha i dont know if you were being serious or not...but hey that stuff is cool

Well maybe not for Hours

but I could watch for a long time, It's amazing.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Minion

I have to say, I think the shops USED to be an attraction unto themselves. I suspect that the specialty shops that Disneyland USED to have probably didn't make the same sales numbers that the current shops they have do (otherwise, why change them) but I do remember being drawn to shops that I couldn't experience anywhere else that added to the lands they were in.

The western wear and old style chandy and dry goods that I could get in Frontierland is the first example that comes to mind. I believe that the individualized shops used to PLUS my Disneyland experience. So while I don't think they draw people in like an E ticket ride or attraction does, I DO think they added to the reason I came to the park.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I suspect that the specialty shops that Disneyland USED to have probably didn't make the same sales numbers that the current shops they have do (otherwise, why change them)
    Why change them?? To quote Mr. Gibbs in the first PotC film "Reason's got nothing to do with it."

The shops were changed during a time when DL in general was getting shafted in the name of higher profit over show & themesmanship. It is easier (read cheaper) to run a bunch of stores that all carry similar (if not identical) merchandise than it would be to have many "specialty" stores. If any "reason" went into changing the stores it was the same "reasoning" that lead to rest of botch jobs that took place in the late 80s and early 90s.

• Minion

And yet they remain, and I think it might be due to profit margin as well. I agree, the reasoning sucks, especially since it just makes the shops in each land that much more vanilla.

• Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    The only restaurant that I can think of that drives admission sales is Club 33.
    Admission, yes; sales, no.
    Admission is free if you are going to the Club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast