Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Trackless WALL-E-Ticket Ride?

Not too very long ago the story was floating about that WDI visited a small midwestern amusement park. Imagineers were there to study a trackless system for a popular ride. The system is said to be more cost effective than TDL's Pooh Hunt.

Well, the reason that they were doing so is apparently because Disney is looking to integrate technology in order to develop a cost effective, reliable trackless WALL-E ride. The attraction would be installed in the upper level of Innoventions. The idea of a highly themed restaurant for the lower level is being kicked around - as well as other concepts.

I had previously posted a thread dealing with the possibility of a WALL-E attraction going into the top level of the Innoventions/former CoP building. Didn't here the rumor. It just made logical sense to me. The name "Innoventions" would go, and a WALL-E ride such as I have described just might be comparable to Space Mountain in terms of popularity.

Trackless vehicles and a robot would make for a dynamic combination.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-12-2007 at 10:50 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• =)

Re: Trackless WALL-E-Ticket Ride?

What's your source, may I ask?

• Lowering Expectations

Can we rename Innoventions Buy-n-Large?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    What's your source, may I ask?
    As I said, the notion of a WALL-E attraction for Innoventions came to mind on my own when I created a thread a little while back. This would be a logical place to house such a ride. A couple of weeks ago, a friend that (whom I shall not disclose) claims to have been in touch with one or more people that work for WDI. This is all just a rumor - but one that makes sense, and ties into WDI's documented visit to the midwestern amusement park.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-10-2007 at 10:05 PM.

• Launch sequence engaged

Thanks for the information Jim Hill.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Can we rename Innoventions Buy-n-Large?
    Any name's better than Inane-ventions.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    Thanks for the information Jim Hill.
    I guess I am sounding a bit like the master of far fetched misinformation. But, I'm nicer than him - and my conjectures are much more intelligintly constructed and original.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I think if anyone at WDI is already planning an attraction on a movie that won't be released for almost 7 more months, they are way putting the cart before the horse. I love Pixar, and based on the trailers I've seen of this movie this is one of the most detailed, most technically ascetic films Pixar has done yet. But....

I have to wonder if the story line will actually live up to the hype. Can they pull off a robotic love story and have it become a box office smash, or will it be Pixars first "Journey to Atlantis?" I'm also not sure if the carousel building itself is actually spacious enough for a full on "ride" type of attraction, trackless or not. Microsoft has the lower level locked up for at least two more years, by then WALL-E could be a classic of Pixar animation, or a fond memory of some die hard fans.

Personally, if they ever did do an attraction of WALL-E, I'd rather see it go into DCA. Let DCA be Pixified... leave Disneyland alone!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I think if anyone at WDI is already planning an attraction on a movie that won't be released for almost 7 more months, they are way putting the cart before the horse. I love Pixar, and based on the trailers I've seen of this movie this is one of the most detailed, most technically ascetic films Pixar has done yet. But....

I have to wonder if the story line will actually live up to the hype. Can they pull off a robotic love story and have it become a box office smash, or will it be Pixars first "Journey to Atlantis?" I'm also not sure if the carousel building itself is actually spacious enough for a full on "ride" type of attraction, trackless or not. Microsoft has the lower level locked up for at least two more years, by then WALL-E could be a classic of Pixar animation, or a fond memory of some die hard fans.

Personally, if they ever did do an attraction of WALL-E, I'd rather see it go into DCA. Let DCA be Pixified... leave Disneyland alone!
    A very well thought out alternative perspective. However, Disneyland's is far from isolated from the Pixar universe. Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters and the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage have fast become popular components of Tomorrowland. It is logical to assertain that Disney has more confidence in the possibilities of Pixar-based attractions than ever before. This includes being willing to take a conjectured risk on rides and other attractions connected with film projects that have not been released.

As far as the space goes, keep in mind that WDI is VERY creative. The trackless portion of the ride may be more speedy at the begining, and slowly pass thru special effects scenes (possibly even thru a motion simulator) throughout the remainder. Please note as well that the lower level could be incorporated into the ride as well. There is no land that is themed to the future at DCA. Tomorrowland is a perfect fit.

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I think if anyone at WDI is already planning an attraction on a movie that won't be released for almost 7 more months, they are way putting the cart before the horse.
    From what I've read about Lasseter's early days as Creative Advisor at WDI he expressed disappointment at the long time-window between a film's release and and the opening of an attraction based on said film. The way things are going we may get to the point where both a film and an E-Ticket attraction debut at the same time.

While it makes sense for a Imagineering to strike while the iron is hot, what if the iron isn't hot? An unsuccessful film can come and go through movie theaters with little damage done, but a theme park attraction is more lasting and takes up critical physical space in a theme park that doesn't have that much to spare. Innoventions has overstayed its welcome, for sure, but is it necessary to gamble Tomorrowland's real estate on movies that haven't even come out yet?
    Last edited by Matterhorn Boy; 12-10-2007 at 11:22 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    From what I've read about Lasseter's early days as Creative Advisor at WDI he expressed disappointment at the long time-window between a film's release and and the opening of an attraction based on said film. The way things are going we may get to the point where both a film and an E-Ticket attraction debut at the same time.

While it makes sense for a Imagineering to strike while the iron is hot, what if the iron isn't hot? An unsuccessful film can come and go through movie theaters with little damage done, but a theme park attraction is more lasting and takes up critical physical space in a theme park that doesn't have that much to spare. Innoventions has overstayed its welcome, for sure, but is it necessary to gamble Tomorrowland's real estate on movies that haven't even come out yet?
    If anything, the WALL-E attraction is in the blue sky planning stage. Any gamble at takes place will not occur until Microsoft gets the big Disney boot in a couple of years when their contract runs out. By that time, the film will have ran it's course at the cinema and on video releases. The company will be completely aware of the films impact when this occurs.

People have made assertions that Pixar may well bomb ior to the release of each of it's past several films. They voiced the same concerns each time that Walt released a new film - and they absolutely ridiculed the notion of Disneyland. Well it never happened - not until after he died. By the same token, it will never happen at Pixar as long as John Lasseter and Steve Jobs are top creative talents at Disney-Pixar.

Matterhorn Boy, I didn't realize that Lasseter had voiced his dismay over the lengthy time lapse between feature film releases and attraction openings. This is good news. Thank you so much for that handy insight.

• potterday.org

Bottom line, is it even conceivable that the infrastructure of Innoventions could handle a ride on the second floor of the building? It certainly wasn't designed for that, and this was one of the major failings of Rocket Rods.

Also, what motivation would Disney possibly have for using the Innoventions building for anything other than a bastion of corporate sponsorship?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Exactly! I seem to recall there was talk years ago about using Journey To Atlantis has a basis for a new theme for the sub ride (which I think would have been a much better choice theme wise for the ride myself). But it never happened because the movie did so terrible in the box office. Would we have seen 3 hour lines at the opening of a Journey to Atlantis themes sub ride if they had revamped the ride to a movie flop? Sure people would still ride because it was something to do, but they hype wouldn't of been there. (And maybe not the apparent dissapointment as to the quality of the ride as expressed by some who have ridden Nemo).

Still, if they are in the "planning" stages for some sort of attraction for the movie, it doesn't hurt to have some of the basic ground work in place ahead of time. There is a lot of planning that goes into this stuff ahead of time, and if the movie is a big hit, they will already have the basics completed. If its not, then they can just stuff the plans in a deep, dark corner of some shelf somewhere and move on.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

While itself not a shining example of an attraction, Mission: SPACE is based on the rather poor performing Mission to Mars. Splash Mountain is based on the nearly forgotten Song of the South. The failures of The Haunted Mansion have not hurt the reputation of the Manor itself. There is some precedent for attractions and films living separate lives from their doppelganger in the other medium.

• Halloween 2011

Hmm. Seems to me a trackless ride with Toy Story Mania-like projections is something that could be installed and re-purposed rather quickly.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast