Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• my two sunshines

Do you go to the park to cheer up???

I never post really in this part of the site, cause well I don't live close enough to the parks anymore, and I'm NOT in the 'know' anymore - BUT when I had my Annual Pass for about 6 years, when I got depressed, upset or just needed a cheer up I would go to the park.

When my Mom passed away I spent hours sitting on a bench listening to music and watching people smile - it made me feel better

When my parents put the dog to sleep, we were at DCA, we sat and watched the strolling musicians, and felt better

NOW my 19 yr old daughter is moving cross country back to the East coast to be with her boyfriend - AND my 16 yr old broke up with a boy and is crying - I don't live near the park anymore (not for another year and a half anyways) AND NOW I need to go to the park!!!! So I came here to MiceChat to feel better

SO - when your really upset, need a boost - do you go to the park, watch a show, or go on a ride, eat a Dole Whip - just feel the atmosphere to feel better?????

I want to see if maybe I'm not the only one (boy do I need some cheer!)

• Old Timer

Re: Do you go to the park to cheer up???

You're not alone. When I find myself sitting at home feeling bad, I try to get out to Disneyland. Just sitting on the porch on Main Street and people watching helps and flying on Dumbo, for me, is a guarenteed mood lifter.

• Guardian Construct

Yep your not alone. We get our passes every time my husband goes to Iraq. They really help us to get though the deployment with our sanity. the kids and I find it a huge mood lift when we go.

• Super Genius

I'm sorry to say that doesn't work for me. I once went to the park when I was really depressed and I started associating Disneyland with depression so I didn't go again for another three years. I could not take my mind off the things that were depressing me.

In fact one of my trips to the park everything was going well then I got a call on my cell phone with some bad news. That ruined everything, so I left right away and caught the next train home. I couldn't enjoy the park after that

The irony is, one of the things I was depressed about was that I had not videotaped my grad nite at Disneyland. I got the idea but blew it off because I didn't feel like spending the money and lugging around all the equipment. There were also other things going wrong, as well so DIsneyland did not help.

I have found it best to go to Disneyland to celebrate or if I'm just in a plain good mood to begin with. For example, I started going in June of 2004, because I had just gotten a job offer from a company in my industry (I'm an electronics technician) and had been driving a taxi for the previous four years, so you can imaging how excited I must have been to get this job. I had already planned to go to the park with a group the following Sunday, and the friday before I get the offer over the phone. so it gave me a reason to go. It was my happiest trip to Disneyland for two reasons: It was my first time there in 14 years, and I just got this new job.

I went in October after the CHOC walk because I had felt good about myself for having done the CHOC walk.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• no flash photography...

no, it doesn't work for me either. I just get more depressed seeing happy people. I have gone when I got really stressed before, but that was a bad idea as well. the park can be stressful at times and it added to it. I have been itching to go fro a while now, but I live 1 1/2 hours away when there is no traffic and that rarely happens....we have also had snow forecasts and I can't get stuck down in the valley so I have been sticking close to home. The other reason I have been putting it off is if I'm not in the right frame of mind I have a miserable time there.

• my two sunshines

I understand both sides - I know that I see a child looking up at a Princess (okay I'll cry cause I think of my daughters when they were little) but the ooooo's and ahhhhh's are so cute I can't help but smile - or sitting in the sun on main street, looking at the smiling faces as they come down main street, it's just happy

BUT I also see - seeing happy people when I'm depressed and it doesn't work sometimes - I think when I was younger it was like that - now that I'm so much older LOL (not that much older) I've learned not to sweat the small stuff and worry about what I can change

Like right now, I could really use a good walk around the park - listen to some happy music - look at all the lights, it's just a feel good that right now, I could use

• =)

How utterly bizarre that you would choose tonight, of all nights, to post this. Just a few hours ago, I bought a ticket for tomorrow. Despite heartbreak and frustration--only some of which is due to college finals--I'm hoping to have a good time. I need the endorphins. This trip was already a possibility long before the going got really tough, though.

Never having been an AP holder and living in northern California most of my life, I've never really intentionally done therapeutic Disneyland trips. I did go once while gripped by a powerful and extraordinarily unpleasant ongoing anxiety problem, and that was without a doubt my worst trip to the park ever. I literally felt like my love for DL had finally been soured, something I never thought possible. (Luckily, it wasn't possible; I've had at least two wonderful full-day trips since. ) But anyway, I can see how a trip to the park can be unhelpful or even counterproductive when faced with extreme depression or anxiety.

I think for me personally, thrill rides are what I need when I'm down. I love non-thrill rides--but they are somewhat more intellectual by nature, which means my focus is on my thoughts. That's not a good place for them to be when the background thoughts are not positive ones. So when faced by unhappiness, a good dose of my body's own natural drugs, injected through the painless needle of a ride on, say, Space Mountain or Big Thunder, is exactly what the doctor ordered. Try that metaphor on for size.

So yeah...anyway, I'm hoping tomorrow will at the very least provide some much-needed distractions. Whether or not I'll go to bed tomorrow night feeling any better than I do right now...well, who knows.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I'm too far away to just "go" when I feel like it but I DO get in a better mood while I'm there and if I am sd or stressed out it does make me calmer and happier. I decided earlier this year to never get into a bad mood there and if I did to just leave - so far so good
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Old Timer

Of course, I also try to brighten others' day while I'm there, especially when I'm down. I love to complement people who aren't expecting it (That's a lovely red on you) and give out my wish pennies.
    Doing little things for others always makes me feel better. And trust me, I've had some rough times.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
    Of course, I also try to brighten others' day while I'm there, especially when I'm down. I love to complement people who aren't expecting it (That's a lovely red on you) and give out my wish pennies.
    Doing little things for others always makes me feel better. And trust me, I've had some rough times.
    Being commited to cheering others up is noble, Lynn. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in person. I can tell though you are extremely "others centered" and cool.

I certainly have my fair share of tough days. Staying busy is usually what I do to get thru them. I've always been in a state of magical bliss when at Disneyland. I exude happiness quite naturally there.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-12-2007 at 01:41 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

The toughest day for the kids and I last year was Mother's day. So...we got up early, went to Disneyland, bought crazy hats, and had the time of our lives. I don't think it would be healthy to head to Disneyland EVERY time you are feeling blue because there might be some issues that you need to deal with rather than escaping to Disneyland. But on this particular occasion, it was just what we needed.

Easter was another occasion where we headed over for the fireworks and were very much cheered up on another day where we could have been pretty blue. Here's a thread link....

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ead-61454.html

So..in answer to your question...absolutely!

When I'm dpressed, Disney things aren't as fun as they are when I'm happy. So I don't get giddy or excited going to DL when I'm going through a rough time, but it is extremely soothing. When I was going through Paxil discontinuation syndrome a couple years ago, I found myself watching a whole lot of Disney videos (and Star Trek). And going to DL with my family was almost healing during that time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Going to my grandfather's on Christmas Eve had been a family tradition, and when he passed away three years ago, I was devastated. My new tradition is to spend Christmas Eve at Disneyland with people that I love. It helps take the hurt away. It doesn't make me miss him any less, but it does cheer me up and reminds me that life goes on, it's short, and make the best of it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

I don't generally do Disney therapy for any particular thing, but having a generally "down" time- sure.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Only in my mind sadly. Bringing out the photo albums always helps brighten my day as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast