Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where Is Capacity Going Unutilized?

For example, the Disneyland Railroad now has the capability to run a four-train operation during much of the year. In the following thread, I suggested making improvements to the Grand Circle Tour in order to increase ridership and put the fourth train into operation: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ize-53720.html

Where else is Disneyland capacity going unutilized?

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Re: Where Is Capacity Going Unutilized?

The biggest one I've noticed has been the Monorail. There is a great story Cicely Rigdon told about Walt coming in to ask the Tour Guides where Monorail Red was and they said "well, Walt...it's a pretty slow day, maybe they don't need it out?" and he got mad and said that wasn't the point & made them call the roundhouse and get the other Monorail out.

Skip ahead to today when a Tour Guide picks up their guests at the Disneyland Hotel and tells them it will be faster to walk to the gates than to try to ride the Monorail in. What's even more upsetting is when they only use one gate at the DTD monorail station, but don't announce that that's what they're planning to do, so you get there first, line up by one of the gates further down, then they open the one furthest from you and it fills up with people who got there after you. I've never worked at the Monorail, so I'm sure there's an operational reason for this, but it sure is frustrating and it sure SEEMS like a waste of capacity.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

It is hard to for a lay person to tell what rides are under capacity because on many rides their exists the ability to add more vehicles or open more loading areas. Without spending sometime watching the operation wait times are not a good judge of utilization. Last week the Jungle cruise rarely had much of a wait and they really didn't seem to have a lot of boats out and about. Saturday I know that they did not start running the third train until 1:00PM because I got stuck in the Toon town station waiting while they brought the third train out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

I'm referring more to the capability for Disney to reinvest in the various facilities in order to make use of their capacity and stuff more paying guests into these nooks and crannies.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I'm referring more to the capability for Disney to reinvest in the various facilities in order to make use of their capacity and stuff more paying guests into these nooks and crannies.
    Prag to be honest I really don't think that the park itself has the capacity overall. Sure you can plus some rides, a new Star Tour film would inject life into a ride tht basically has no wait in its line anymore. But at certain times of the day the hub and the major walk ways are jammed with people. Right now the subs are sucking up so many people that many rides are under utilized but by mid-day the walkways are jammed. The big question in my mind is if you wanted to jam say 5000 more people into the park each day can Main Street be changed in a way that would get more people in and out?
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Well, Pooh spends its last few hours of the night cycling empty beehicles. It actually has quite a respectable capacity, and I have always wished for it to be more of a successful attraction.

INNOVENTIONS

Level the whole thing and put in a whole new extension of tomorrowland. There is much better use of that space than that empty airplane hanger of crap.

• Rock Star Minion

Indy queue.
    Space queue.
    Splash queue.
    BTMRR queue.
    Roger Rabbit queue.
    Autopia queue.
    Buzz Lightyear queue.
    Star Tours queue.
    HM queue.
    Pooh attraction. (If a high percentage of the capacity isn't being reached, then it's time to upgrade or retire it.)
    Pirates stroller parking lot.
    IASW stroller parking lot.
    FL theater stroller parking lot.
    BTM ranch area.
    Innoventions.
    HISTA theater.

Some of these can be utilized by changing one popular policy.
    Some of these can be utilized better by changing DL from effectively a city park that going to is a regular experience, back into a theme park that going to is a special, once-a-year experience.
    The rest require imagineering to make attractions and areas more attractive.
    Last edited by sediment; 12-12-2007 at 04:58 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Well, the Splash Queue is used almost all the way. In fact, its setup is the most unimpacted by Fastpass.
    Star Tours: Yeah, use both sides already.
    Space: Agreed. No need for Fastpass here.
    Thunder: High capacity, no need for Fastpass.
    Roger: Used completely, despite Fastpass.
    Autopia: Terrible queue to begin with
    Buzz: True story. High capacity= no need for fastpass
    HM: Used completely
    Pooh: Yep. High capacity. Could be higher if it weren't for... churros.
    Pirates stroller parking: Eh, with a limited stroller supply, it would still be a parking lot.
    IASW: Same
    FL Theatre: Agreed
    BTRanch: Yeah. Here's an e-ticket place.
    Innoventions: yes
    HISTA: Software.. come on! Easy-ish to upgrade.

Live event venues like the Fantasyland Theatre and the Hyperion sit empty for much of the day.

I'd like to see films, like Philharmagic and Cinemagic, shown in these venues during the unused parts of the day.

Similarly, the Disneyland Opera House and the Golden Dreams auditorium could be made more versatile so that multiple productions are presented at each of these locations, as well.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

What about doing something with the old motorboat lagoon? something could go into that space to suck up a few more people. Or, if it was GOING to sit empty, why not make it into the place to officially park a stroller during parades and such, that way it opens up some of the areas Sediment listed like the Small World Mall.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I explored this in my Abandonedland thread: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...and-67874.html

Some underutilized venues inside Disneyland include:
    - Motorboat Cruise / Fantasia Gardens
    - Fantasyland Skyway chalet
    - Starcade
    - Peoplemover
    - Big Thunder Ranch

In DCA:
    - Stage 17 / Who Wants to be a Millionaire
    - Hollywood & Dine
    - Lucky Fortune Cookery
    - Coca Cola Drive-In
    - Sam Andreas Shakes
    - Bountiful Valley Farm area

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

As far as 'shifting the load' of Guests, the two areas for development I see are the BTR area and Tomorrowland. The Innoventions building could house a scenic eatery, and the pathetic starcade area could function as a possible queue entrance for Space Mountain, allowing the upper plaza to become home to a stage performance, or outside restaurant, etc.

The Rivers of America needs more rivercraft and ridership.

Dunno... considering you have Twain, Canoes, Columbia, rafts going all the time. Though I suppose you're right. Keelboats would be fun to have back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast