Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    • Ohhh baboo :(
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.
    Posts
    776

    Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    ...that some of the backstage clutter was covered up with really beautiful pictures promoting the YOAMD and cast member support to keep providing great customer service.

    Some of the pictures really caught my attention. For example there was one of a little girl trying on dresses and a cast member handing her the outfits for Snow White and Cinderella, etc., and the little girl was having a ball. Also there was one of a little girl dressed as Sleeping Beauty and walking down the stairs of the Disneyland Hotel and the bellhop bowing to her like she was royalty. They were so cute!

    Anyone know what I'm talking about or better yet, do you have pictures?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    • A New Kind Of Villain
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Garden Of Time
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse View Post
    ...that some of the backstage clutter was covered up with really beautiful pictures promoting the YOAMD and cast member support to keep providing great customer service.

    Some of the pictures really caught my attention. For example there was one of a little girl trying on dresses and a cast member handing her the outfits for Snow White and Cinderella, etc., and the little girl was having a ball. Also there was one of a little girl dressed as Sleeping Beauty and walking down the stairs of the Disneyland Hotel and the bellhop bowing to her like she was royalty. They were so cute!

    Anyone know what I'm talking about or better yet, do you have pictures?

    Thanks!
    I know exactly what you're talking about.

    From Backstage it seems like YOAMD is more of a stunt to try to boost CM morale and prevent turnover rather than marketing for Guest visits.

    I guess any attempt is better than having to pay competitive wages.
    Julie Rei

    "Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

    "I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Bay, CA
    Posts
    1,616

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Well, the first post seemed somewhat heartwarming... that didn't last long.

  4. #4

    • .8 miles from the park
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    102

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Actually I heard the contrary, this area might be the only back stage area decorated. i.e. really for the guests that walk back stage during a busy night.

  5. #5

    • He Gets The Job Done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,158
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    Well, the first post seemed somewhat heartwarming... that didn't last long.
    agreed


  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, California, United States
    Posts
    667

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseketeer View Post
    i.e. really for the guests that walk back stage during a busy night.
    Yep... not really for CM's, it's just to keep the backstage area looking better for guests having to exit.

    They've done it before with different pics or just plain walls covering break areas and different storage areas.
    -Wes

  7. #7

    • Disney Nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Main Street, USA
    Posts
    593

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseketeer View Post
    Actually I heard the contrary, this area might be the only back stage area decorated. i.e. really for the guests that walk back stage during a busy night.
    This is pretty accurate. There are some signs & pics around the gates, but the alley behind Main Street way decked out!

    Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse View Post
    Anyone know what I'm talking about or better yet, do you have pictures? Thanks!
    You mean these?














  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,891

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about.

    From Backstage it seems like YOAMD is more of a stunt to try to boost CM morale and prevent turnover rather than marketing for Guest visits.

    I guess any attempt is better than having to pay competitive wages.
    So cynical.

    So Soon.

    So Sad.

  9. #9

    • Kevin's a girl?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,136

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by fantoongal View Post












    Wow. Those are gorgeous.

    We're always having fun in the Fun and Games Lounge. Care to visit us?

  10. #10

    • A New Kind Of Villain
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Garden Of Time
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    So cynical.

    So Soon.

    So Sad.
    I'm a Realist. There's a difference.

    Although I didn't see a picture of my favorite one. The huge one near the parade exit showing a Custodial CM polishing the Partners statue that says "Where everyone is the caretaker of a dream."

    I've also seen them around as a marketing attempt to attract new DLR applicants. I remember seeing them plastered all over the Job Fair ads and other online ads for the DLR Jobline.
    Julie Rei

    "Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

    "I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

  11. #11

    • The Tomorrowland One
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    722

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    I guess any attempt is better than having to pay competitive wages.
    Hey, they are getting there. Not to fast, but they are getting there. Last year at this time, Disneyland.jobs listed starting pay at $8.05 (or something like that) an hour. The minimum is now $9.05/hr. Still $0.45/hr behind places like In & Out's starting wage, but they are getting better. But then In & Out can't put a finger to the huge amounts of extra little things CMs get...


    And, now on the topic. I think that it is nice that Disneyland has even bothered to do that backstage. I know I was rather surprised back a few years ago on July 4th when my family and I all got routed backstage at the Magic Kingdom at WDW to get IN to the park. That was fun.

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,891

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    I'm a Realist. There's a difference.

    Although I didn't see a picture of my favorite one. The huge one near the parade exit showing a Custodial CM polishing the Partners statue that says "Where everyone is the caretaker of a dream."

    I've also seen them around as a marketing attempt to attract new DLR applicants. I remember seeing them plastered all over the Job Fair ads and other online ads for the DLR Jobline.
    They're not mutually exclusive attitudes.

    Besides, you don't expect them too tell the truth in those ads:

    "Work hard and long for low wages if you can get the work at all"

    That'd draw them in droves ...


    I just think that a cynical CM attitude ought to come after a decent interval of experience and be really earned. If you get too far ahead of the program where do you go from there ? So far there's no "Going Disney" syndrome to graduate to.

  13. #13

    • A Beautiful Tomorrow!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    583

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    You can thank Grumpy4 for taking the pics but theres one of the Partners statue just scroll a bit.

    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=10
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18,922

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    Well, the first post seemed somewhat heartwarming... that didn't last long.
    Yep...I noticed that too.

  15. #15

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Exiting the park the other night, via the backstage route, and I noticed...

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Besides, you don't expect them too tell the truth in those ads:

    "Work hard and long for low wages if you can get the work at all"

    That'd draw them in droves ...
    They don't have to use the cheesy WhereSpeak ads to "draw them in droves."

    Competitive pay and proper treatment for employees would be adequate enough. No need to waste money on all of these fluffy, "heart-warming" backstage morale boosting posters. Heaven knows it ain't workin' anyway.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Better Route for Park Hopping
    By OregonBoy1963 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
  2. [Trip Report] Some things in the park that I have noticed and need to be fixed.
    By Walt Jr. in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
  3. Epcot VP is exiting Disney
    By Mr. Eggz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM
  4. Disneyland: ever been "backstage" of the park?
    By idrummeddownMSinDL in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 07:15 PM
  5. The Long Haul to Exiting the Park(ing Lot)
    By Disneyphile in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 09:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •