44 32.12%
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid

71 51.82%
  • Walt Disney Plaza/Red Car Trolley/Other Attraction

59 43.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Which DCA Expansion Attractions Sound Hot? Which Do Not?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    http://webster.com/dictionary/ingenious
    in·ge·nious
    : marked by especial aptitude at discovering, inventing, or contriving
    : marked by originality, resourcefulness, and cleverness in conception or execution
    "Ingenious" was utilizing a flume for "it's a small world" and Pirates of the Caribbean

"Ingenious" was utilizing the slow-moving Omnimover system for the Haunted Mansion instead of the problematic walk-through idea.

"Ingenious" was audio animatronics.

"Ingenious" was taking the motion simulator to the next level for Star Tours

"Ingenious" was the Enhanced Motion Vehicles developed for Indiana Jones Adventure

"Ingenious" was developing the ride system for Soarin' Over California

"Ingenious" was developing the ride system for the first Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

... Nothing about the new DCA is particularly ingenious. Instead of creating a new, original ride system, or using a different ride system that would contribute more to the attraction's theme and story, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid is using the Omnimover ride system that is easy and cost-efficient.

Instead of creating a land that truly showcases California car culture, they're building a land based on an animated film with its marquee attraction utilizing a ride system that was developed for an attraction that first debuted some 9 years ago.

Instead of truly trying to incorporate Disney characters into Disney's California Adventure with some coherency and care to theme, they're being slapped on ferris wheels, wild mouse coasters, and overpriced pay-per-play games.

Originality, creativity, cleverness in design... None of it is particularly present in the new DCA. Just offerings that are more or less "safe" and guaranteed to entertain guests and sell merchandise.

Nevertheless, I am still excited for Walt Disney Plaza.
    Mater Gracey, you really detest the word "ingenious" when it is applied to today's Disney - hate it with a passion. I'm not saying that I'm going to be happy with each and every new ride that is built. I just hope that I will be. Until they are built, I am remaining optimistic and excited.

As for Radiator Springs Racers, Disney just might experiment with new technologies that haven't been incorporated into Test Track. Nobody has said that the ride is going to be overtly similar to TT in any way.

Another thing, I've heard that the Little Mermaid seashell vehicles are going to travel in a suspended fashion - much like the Peter Pan ride. If they swivel like an Omniver too, this truely would be unique. I believe this is the ride vehicle that Disney was experimenting with inside the Peter Pan ride a while back.

Anywho.. I very much join with you in your excitement over Walt Disney Plaza. Perhaps we'll meet there in the future and become totally enamored by this first class trek to another time and place!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Mater Gracey, you really detest the word "ingenious" when it is applied to today's Disney - hate it with a passion. I'm not saying that I'm going to be happy with each and every new ride that is built. I just hope that I will be. Until they are built, I am remaining optimistic and excited.
    I just wish Disney would, for once since 1995's Indiana Jones Adventure (or arguably 2001's Soarin'), be "ingenious" at the Disneyland Resort. It's been a long time since we've gotten something truly new or groundbreaking at Disneyland. Far too long.

As for Radiator Springs Racers, Disney just might experiment with new technologies that haven't been incorporated into Test Track. Nobody has said that the ride is going to be overtly similar to TT in any way.
    Hopefully, but even still - it's still the same 9-year-old ride system, just with some upgrades.

Another thing, I've heard that the Little Mermaid seashell vehicles are going to travel in a suspended fashion - much like the Peter Pan ride. If they swivel like an Omniver too, this truely would be unique. I believe this is the ride vehicle that Disney was experimenting with inside the Peter Pan ride a while back.
    I think the original Voyage of the Little Mermaid attraction (the one featured on the film's DVD) was supposed to use suspended ride vehicles. But concept art for the DCA attraction clearly shows the standard omnimover ride system and vehicles - just with a clam-shell overlay. Clam Mobiles, Clambuggies, or Doom Clammies if you will.

Anywho.. I very much join with you in your excitement over Walt Disney Plaza. Perhaps we'll meet there in the future and become totally enamored by this first class trek to another time and place!
    Sounds good

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Reflecting on the poll results so far, I am somewhat surprised that there seems to be more overall interest in the shows than the rides. Although I'm excited about the rides, shows such as the The Walt Disney Story and Disney's World of Color are, I believe, destined to become halmarks in Disney entertainment.

I think we pick the entrance and shows because at this juncture, they feel and sound the most like it should have been. And I think many of us, me included, are a bit weary of DCA's track record on rides. There are some gems but not fully thought or carried out (soarin's and screamin's queue, tower of terror not being an equal to the florida version, GRR is great but not something for every visit). Theming is important to me... really important and though Carsland would be great, I'm not 100% sold on it yet. Same goes to Little Mermaid... a ride that should be awesome but how they carry it out remains to be seen.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Just one of those days

Bug's Land is for toddlers. Carsland will appeal to adults and teens. It's like comparing Dumbo to Space Mountain.
    Except Dumbo rocks and Bug's Land sucks.

• Just one of those days

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    See it in your miiiind, and you will fiiiind, in your i-ma-gi-na-tion!
    But you have to admit, it's harder to imagine DCA related stuff than Disneyland.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Trolley View Post
    But you have to admit, it's harder to imagine DCA related stuff than Disneyland.
    And why might that be?

Given what is there now, and what is planned next? Apparently so.

Given what could have been imagined for a California park? No way.

The truth is out there, folks. If Disney gave a hoot about the theme of their own parks, DCA wouldn't be harder to imagine than Disneyland because the correlation of its lands and attractions to the California theme would be crystal clear. We wouldn't be sitting on an oversized-popsicle bench trying to figure out what gigantic bugs and clovers have to do particularly with CA.

I imagine that the concept of World of Color appearing over Paradise Pier lagoon will not be as magical as the Rivers of America coming to life with the power of Mickey's imagination, but that is my projection over something that I haven't seen with my own eyes. The rest of the DCA expansion/redo project is comprised of Disney/Pixar characters whose stories we already know and ride mechanisms we have already played with.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

I voted for the walt disney story, world of color, Voyage? of the little mermaid( why is it called that? is it going to be the show at mgm?) Mainly because, well, i like to know more about the man who kept my childhood alive and keeps my head in the clouds(despite my parents, teachers and many of my friends protests) i like the ideas of cars too, but i dont want DCA to become disney/pixar-land. I would rather like that it be a route 66 theme area with cars in it, not be the main focus be cars. i mean, we already got a bugs land

• Minion

All of these attractions you listed will help DCA, but in my mind they are not enough to save the park. I am against basing an entire land off of a movie that is a little more than a year old, but I am sure I will enjoy Radiator Springs Racers. If the Little Mermaid ride is E-Ticket class, and has some scary Ursula scenes, I will be pleased with it as well. The redone entrance and the Carthey theatre will add a much stronger sense of theme to the park. For the most part, they are making improvements, but DCA needs it's own signature E-Ticket classic not based on an existing franchise. Once it has one of those, I will be much more pleased with DCA. GRR and California Screamin' are supposed to be E-Tickets not based on movies, but they are very bad rides for Disney IMO. Soarin' is a very fun ride, but not an E-Ticket classic like POTC. I want DCA to have it's own POTC or HM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Trolley View Post
    Except Dumbo rocks and Bug's Land sucks.
    This is indeed a Jolly quip!

Quote Originally Posted by leotabelle13 View Post
    I voted for the walt disney story, world of color, Voyage? of the little mermaid( why is it called that? is it going to be the show at mgm?) Mainly because, well, i like to know more about the man who kept my childhood alive and keeps my head in the clouds(despite my parents, teachers and many of my friends protests) i like the ideas of cars too, but i dont want DCA to become disney/pixar-land. I would rather like that it be a route 66 theme area with cars in it, not be the main focus be cars. i mean, we already got a bugs land
    If it's any consolation to you leotabelle, Cars Land will be geared to adults and teens, whereas A Bugs Land focusses on toddlers. Cars Land is going to have a tonage of money and creativity invested in it. A Bugs Land was cheaply shoehorned into a tiny cramped space in a hurried and failed attempt to intice scores of parents to perceive DCA as a family friendly park. When the new area opens, you will see that their is no comparison whatsoever. People the world over will clammer to the new DCA
    (noninspiring cumbersom park name will be changed as well).

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    All of these attractions you listed will help DCA, but in my mind they are not enough to save the park. I am against basing an entire land off of a movie that is a little more than a year old, but I am sure I will enjoy Radiator Springs Racers. If the Little Mermaid ride is E-Ticket class, and has some scary Ursula scenes, I will be pleased with it as well. The redone entrance and the Carthey theatre will add a much stronger sense of theme to the park. For the most part, they are making improvements, but DCA needs it's own signature E-Ticket classic not based on an existing franchise. Once it has one of those, I will be much more pleased with DCA. GRR and California Screamin' are supposed to be E-Tickets not based on movies, but they are very bad rides for Disney IMO. Soarin' is a very fun ride, but not an E-Ticket classic like POTC. I want DCA to have it's own POTC or HM.
    I too hope that DCA inherits another original, non-movie based E-ticket ride in the future - and i'm certain that it will. In refute to this rhetorical anti-movie/Pixar argument on this board, the franchise themed ToT is irrefutably superior to the ill-fated carne Maliboomer (may it soon rest in peace).

Next to Splash Mountain, GRR is the second most unique/entertaining family water ride in the world. Soarin' is a mammoth experience at DL and WDW. Odds are that DisneySea will get a Soarin' attraction on it's aniversary. Every square inch of the ride is as qualitative of a headliner as Pirates. Sure, it's completely different. Isn't that what you said that you were looking for. A Pirate's clone themed to the wild west would have been trite in comparison.

Radiator Springs racers and The Little Mermaid will each be amazing! Don't think that you're going to be let down.

• Minion

I too hope that DCA inherits another original, non-movie based E-ticket ride in the future - and i'm certain that it will. In refute to this rhetorical anti-movie/Pixar argument on this board, the franchise themed ToT is irrefutably superior to the ill-fated carne Maliboomer (may it soon rest in peace).

Next to Splash Mountain, GRR is the second most unique/entertaining family water ride in the world. Soarin' is a mammoth experience at DL and WDW. Odds are that DisneySea will get a Soarin' attraction on it's aniversary. Every square inch of the ride is as qualitative of a headliner as Pirates. Sure, it's completely different. Isn't that what you said that you were looking for. A Pirate's clone themed to the wild west would have been trite in comparison.

Radiator Springs racers and The Little Mermaid will each be amazing! Don't think that you're going to be let down.

Tower of Terror, Indy, and Mr. Toad are some of my all time favorite rides and they are franchise inspired. I am not against franchise-inspired rides, but when that is all you get, it gets old. And for the second most unique/entertaining family water ride in the world, I would pick IOA's Dudley Do -Right's Ripsaw Falls and even Knott's Log Ride, long before I would pick GRR for that spot. I don't really like rapid rides that much in the first place, plus GRR has minimal on-ride theming. The theming in the rides I listed are far better.
    About Soarin', it doesn't immerse me in an epic experience like POTC, HM, BTM, Matterhorn, Indy, ToT, and Space Mountain. To me Star Tours is far superior to Soarin' in terms of story, personality, thrill, and theming. The ride vehicles on Soarin' have no real theme, the theatre in Soarin isn't themed, the storyline is dull, and there are no audio-animatronics or real sets. The inside of the Star Tours vehicles look like an actual vehicle, not a theatre with seats that raise into the air. Plus, Soarin' can get old. Soarin' is a solid ride, but it isn't even close to being on my DLR top ten list.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Walt Disney Plaza and such sounds HOT.
    Carsland stuff doesn't sound as hot.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Walt Disney Plaza and such sounds HOT.
    Carsland stuff doesn't sound as hot.
    Between Carsland and Walt Disney Plaza, I simply think that we have a winning combination here.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Tower of Terror, Indy, and Mr. Toad are some of my all time favorite rides and they are franchise inspired. I am not against franchise-inspired rides, but when that is all you get, it gets old. And for the second most unique/entertaining family water ride in the world, I would pick IOA's Dudley Do -Right's Ripsaw Falls and even Knott's Log Ride, long before I would pick GRR for that spot. I don't really like rapid rides that much in the first place, plus GRR has minimal on-ride theming. The theming in the rides I listed are far better.
    About Soarin', it doesn't immerse me in an epic experience like POTC, HM, BTM, Matterhorn, Indy, ToT, and Space Mountain. To me Star Tours is far superior to Soarin' in terms of story, personality, thrill, and theming. The ride vehicles on Soarin' have no real theme, the theatre in Soarin isn't themed, the storyline is dull, and there are no audio-animatronics or real sets. The inside of the Star Tours vehicles look like an actual vehicle, not a theatre with seats that raise into the air. Plus, Soarin' can get old. Soarin' is a solid ride, but it isn't even close to being on my DLR top ten list.
    You have a good point about Dudley Do - Right's Ripsaw Falls. It's theming and unique "under water" splash down does put it in the number two spot for the flume ride category - relegating GRR to number three. Wait until Disney plusses up the theming of GRR though. It will be just as cool as Ripsaw Falls - and may even blow it out of the water. Other than GRR, no flume in the world has rotating rafts that spin out while you experience a big drop. This is exhilerating!

Knott's generic log ride is fun. There's no comparison between it and GRR or Ripsaw Falls.

Audio animatronics work for a space centerred fairytale like StarTours. Adding them to a reality based ride like Soarin' would be gaudy, out of place and rediculous. The in-flight tour of the marvelous wonders of California is a solid and exciting story/theme. The attraction is on it's way to being replicated at all Disney resorts - and it will lend itself to different experiences at different resorts. Look for the Orlando sibling to become Soarin' Over Florida or Soarin' Over America.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-31-2007 at 04:03 PM.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Walt Disney Plaza sounds very cool. My kids are looking forward to everything else, butthe plaza gets my vote. I'm sooooo glad that so much is going in to DCA.

I agree with all those opposed or hesitant about Carsland. An entire land based on one franchise, not to mention all the money being spent on the land, worries me. As stated before, the land should simply be themed to Route 66 or a desert setting, with a Cars attraction included. This would allow for more leeway in the future when the Cars franchise is not so popular, as new attractions will not be restricted to the Cars theme.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
    Walt Disney Plaza sounds very cool. My kids are looking forward to everything else, butthe plaza gets my vote. I'm sooooo glad that so much is going in to DCA.
    I agree with your perspective. Afterall, I don't want to me the Duck! hee hee

There really is something for everybody that this expansion will have to offer. A classy thmed street thcaters to the intellect is highly unusual. Can;t wait to set foot in Walt Disney Plaza myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dizniz6 View Post
    I agree with all those opposed or hesitant about Carsland. An entire land based on one franchise, not to mention all the money being spent on the land, worries me. As stated before, the land should simply be themed to Route 66 or a desert setting, with a Cars attraction included. This would allow for more leeway in the future when the Cars franchise is not so popular, as new attractions will not be restricted to the Cars theme.
    You are correct, dizniz, that people will eventually tire of some attractions. Disney will simply replace them when the time comes. They can base things on other non-Cars related ideas then.

In the meantime, Cars is destined to be a PIXAR?Disney classic that will be around for ages. Carsland will be popular for decades to come.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast