Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Marginal Utility of Disneyland and Its Various Parts

This is a subjective question, so different people will have different answers. But, at which point does one more visit to Disneyland or to Pirates of the Caribbean or Fantasyland or the Plaza Inn hold no more value to you?

When do you tire of the place or any of its features? Do you feel this way at any point? And, how do these feelings affect your behavior?

Re: The Marginal Utility of Disneyland and Its Various Parts

it never gets old for me. sure there are no surprises anymoe on rides like pirates, but there is always something new to find, some detail i didnt catch in my previous visits.

thrill rides never get old because the feeling of the wind through your hair, or careening down the BTM mine shaft always feels great.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Going every week, for me personally, would turn DL into the mundane. Excessive crowding also has the ability to turn some parts of the Park into temporary 'nuisances' for me, unfortunately.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

This might sound bad but as much as I appreciate the quality of Main Street, its functionality seems to diminishing. The number of people who stand and block movement seems to be increasing. On our last trip I usually rode the train to MS to avoid having to walk down the mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Going every week, for me personally, would turn DL into the mundane.
    I'd have to agree with the Swab here. Once or twice a month is good for me. As much as i never want to leave when i'm there, there is that possibility of getting to much of a good thing IMO.

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• Hooterville, USA

It's actually evolved into me entertaining others to maximize my enjoyment.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Hiding in the shadows

If i lived closer, I could see myself going tehre after work for a bite to eat with the kids. But being that its an event to drive the 60 miles there and 60 miles back usually in heavy traffic, I can't pull myself up to go more than once a month at most. In October I was at the park 3 times and was burnt out, I havent been back since (although am planning to go next week).

However, I could not imagine ever tiring of any ride or attraction (at least the ones I go on regularly).

A little piece of heaven

• Dapper Dan-nabe

As someone who went nearly 15 years between DL visits and now can go whenever I want, I've often wondered this myself. In the last year or so I probably went once every other month or so, and 3 times in the last month. I had thought that going this often might ruin it for me, but it hasn't yet. I do think that any more than twice a month might be overkill, but more than the specific things I see and do in Disneyland, it's the atmosphere that's addictive. It's fun to feel like a kid and be able to forget whatever is going on at work or at home. And there are more people around who feel the same way than there are "trouble people," which really adds to the magic.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Interesting question. We've had AP's for two years and now make the trip over to DL 4-6 times a year. Prior to that it was a once a year trip. There are things now that I can skip and not feel at a loss where as before we had to cram everything into one trip.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

When I tire of it, I'll stop going.

Haven't reached that point yet. Can't anticipate if I ever will.

• Minion

[cliches in italics, in case you were wondering.]

It's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder, as silly as the adage is. Being away at college means my trips to the Resort now come only during major holidays and the summer. Before that, when DL was always 15 minutes away after school, it was more like two or three visits a month, especially starting when I could drive myself there.

I don't recall any occasion where I had nothing to do in particular one afternoon and dismissed the possibility of visiting the park because "I'm tired of the place." However, there have been visits - often on extremely uncrowded days - where, even after just a few hours, we look at each other and decide, "Oh-kay, time to go!"

Do visits mean more to me now that the wait is longer between visits? Probably. I know I can't wait for finals to end so I can make the trek back home, and to DL.

In conclusion, a thing of beauty is a joy forever. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, but when it's a place as dynamic and ever-changing as Disneyland, there's always something new of interest that warrants another visit.

My family has pulled back substantially - up until the AP we would go once a year, maybe 3 times over two years in spring and Xmas. Once we had AP's we started going once a month and the "specialness" of it with the kids evaporated quickly so we have gone back to just once a year or so to bring back the magic feeling for the kids so it doesn't just feel like going to the local carny or mall. We also rotate in the other domestic and international parks which allows us to spread out the visits to DLR which helps.

I do think this thread once again illustrates that one of they key drivers of attendance is simply cost and proximity. You don't see posts saying I go less now than 20 years ago because CM's aren't friendly any more, upkeep isn't as good, less entertainment, etc. Like the old saying, "that place is really getting bad, I only go there 10 times more often than I used to..."

Fact is, it's cheaper, so people just go more than before - when I was a kid to go once a year was a huge deal and we lived within an hour to Anaheim.

Just found it interesting...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I go there normally with a mission in mind. That mission could be to ride Alice in Wonderland. It could be to search for a hidden Mickey I've heard about. Once I've done what I have wanted to do, whatever floats my boat.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    This is a subjective question, so different people will have different answers. But, at which point does one more visit to Disneyland or to Pirates of the Caribbean or Fantasyland or the Plaza Inn hold no more value to you?
    It never gets to that point. At least for me. I am a 39 year old man and to this day I feel the same way when I exit the park as I did when I was a kid, which was sad at having to face normal life again.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    When do you tire of the place or any of its features? Do you feel this way at any point? And, how do these feelings affect your behavior?
    First question is redundant. I never tire of the place. Its features do not tire me either. Disneyland is a part of my life that is always changing and there is always something new if you look for it -- which if you are a regular Disneyland goer then looking at the fine details is something that should come naturally. It was there in some form when I was a child and it is still there for me now, and I pray it is still there for my son even when he has his grandchildren. Disneyland quite simply is a part of my life and I accept it all for better and for worse. It is both great and bad, much like my own life and of others. So I don't tire of it because like anything else in my life it is just a part of me.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Going every week, for me personally, would turn DL into the mundane. Excessive crowding also has the ability to turn some parts of the Park into temporary 'nuisances' for me, unfortunately.
    I looked up mundane not because I didn't understand the word but because I wanted to understand it in the context you were using it. The definition is:

1. Of, relating to, or typical of this world; secular.
    2. Relating to, characteristic of, or concerned with commonplaces; ordinary.

If this is what you mean then I guess DL is mundane to me. And to me that is actually a good thing because as I said in my prior post Disneyland is a part of me and who I am as a person -- nothing special when you really look at it with the frequency I do but something so wonderful I wouldn't want to lose it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast